oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

I must have missed something, but where did this notion of Gibbo playing at left back come from?

I believe Humpty was the one who first mentioned it around about when he first disputed the Southampton contact. I can't remember if that was a hunch from him or something genuinely coming from the camp.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vokes is just Gestede with a few more Premier League goals.

That would kind of indicate that he is better than Gestede. But kind of agree that we don't need two of those kinds if that's what you are emplying.

If it was 30 or 40 goals more I might well agree but it's like 6 or 7 I think.  If Vokes had spent his time in the Premier League with Villa and us I'm not sure there would be any difference at all quite honestly  :)

I don't know Vokes well enough to really comment, although I can understand that he's not the most exciting name we've ever been linked with, and £15m is still a fair old whack even in the current mad market.

But if he's a Burnley player, won't he have spent the past few years playing in a front two? Could be a hint as to what Pulis has planned, formation-wise.

I must have missed something, but where did this notion of Gibbo playing at left back come from?

Pulis gave an interview where he said he'd like to try Gibson at left back with Friend at left midfield to try and create a better balanced side.

Pulis gave an interview where he said he'd like to try Gibson at left back with Friend at left midfield to try and create a better balanced side.

Please tell me that's a sick joke  :(

Does anyone know anything about that Sam McQueen from SOuthampton that we are supposedly interested in? Says he is a left back but it looks like he has played most of his game for Southampton at left midfield. Sounds a bit like a Bryan type of left sided player. Young and still good enough to have featured 29 times for Southampton and is still only 23.

I haven't seen a lot of him, but my mate who supports Southampton said that there was no drop-off at all when McQueen came in for Bertrand, which is high praise indeed. In fact, I think a lot of the reason he was pushed up to LM was to accommodate both when Bertrand came back into the team.

An interesting situation though at Southampton. Bertrand could be forgiven for being a little disappointed to miss out on the England squad so might want to make the move to a bigger club and Matt Targett also would seem to be on the way out after doing well for Fulham on loan (and coming out in mid-April and saying that the Saints hadn't even been in touch with him since he moved there). If indeed McQueen is as good as Tom says, it could be the case he gets shoved into the spotlight for them in the very near future rather than move on.

That would make sense then, Gibbo has played left back before and there is no reason he couldnt do it again, it’s a much more glamorous position than being stuck at centre half, especially with a marauding George Friend up ahead of him.

Exciting times.

Yeah that was the interview where he said he wants at least 8 centre backs in the team at the start of the season.

I say don't criticise until you've given his methods a chance.

You've all spent the past few days getting angry at a hypothetical scenario which may not even happen... We've been linked with two left backs recently yet all I've seen on this forum is "Pulis is gonna play *random CB* as a fullback". Interesting stuff.