oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

Phillips is just a bit meh.

I'd love to know why we can't sign a player that's actually played left side for the majority of his career. It seems like a bloody decade since we had one.

Stewart Downing may have a thing or two to say about this.

Stewart Downing didn't even want to play LW when he came back though did he, I thought he came back to be #10

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the Phillips rumour not just another: "He used to play for this manager, so now he's going to buy him again" kind of article that pop up all over the place? Can't see it making sense to WBA to sell him to us, not sure if it makes sense for Phillips either...

I'd love to know why we can't sign a player that's actually played left side for the majority of his career. It seems like a bloody decade since we had one.

We tried that with Johnson...didn't work out too well!

Is the Phillips rumour not just another: "He used to play for this manager, so now he's going to buy him again" kind of article that pop up all over the place? Can't see it making sense to WBA to sell him to us, not sure if it makes sense for Phillips either...

Bailey and Nixon have both said there's substance to it and whatever people think of them they are often right, he's been linked all summer aswell so I wouldn't be massively surprised.

If the besic thing is true a midfield of him and McNair would be a huge improvement for us, Howson would be the next part that needs improving on for me.

Bailey and Nixon have both said there's substance to it and whatever people think of them they are often right, he's been linked all summer aswell so I wouldn't be massively surprised.

If the besic thing is true a midfield of him and McNair would be a huge improvement for us, Howson would be the next part that needs improving on for me.

I think Mcnair has been brought in to do what we thought Howson would, Clayton will be the anchor and I can see Mcnair and Besic infront of him with Howson as back up on the bench.

Phillips played ok for WBA in the Premier, played some neat football and rarely gave the ball away. He rarely however hurt the opposition, and was rarely exciting, although granted, that may change in the Championship. The bit that puzzles me is Pulis had a big training ground bust up with him over following his tactics, have those hatchets now been buried?

Seen phillips play a few times last season.. defo not meh, played on the right though. Quick and strong..

Phillips on the left would be decent. Cutting inside and delivering a ball, with the left back over lapping and being an additional option on the outside sounds good.

Also with 2 wingers it makes the team more balanced. One of our pitfalls last season was relying on Traore all the time. Hopefully it will free him up.

Added to that, we are looking at bringing back Besic. Class above for us and well worth the money.

I think Mcnair has been brought in to do what we thought Howson would, Clayton will be the anchor and I can see Mcnair and Besic infront of him with Howson as back up on the bench.

Probably but I'd rather not have a defensive utility player as our attacking midfielder.

2009 Downing was probably the last time we had one....

I loved 2008/09 Downing.

You're probably forgetting about that guy who is in jail though, as he was doing rather well in this division before we sold him in 2009/10.

Phillips on the left would be decent. Cutting inside and delivering a ball, with the left back over lapping and being an additional option on the outside sounds good.

Also with 2 wingers it makes the team more balanced. One of our pitfalls last season was relying on Traore all the time. Hopefully it will free him up.

Added to that, we are looking at bringing back Besic. Class above for us and well worth the money.

Can't tell if this is optimistic (full back overlapping!!!!!) Or pessimistic (the new right winger won't cross the half way line if the full back is ahead of him)

Probably but I'd rather not have a defensive utility player as our attacking midfielder.

I think it would be Clayton on the bench personally. Besic starting in his natural position then Howson and McNair trying to join in the attacks. Clayton to come on and help see games out.

2009 Downing was probably the last time we had one....

I loved 2008/09 Downing.

You're probably forgetting about that guy who is in jail though, as he was doing rather well in this division before we sold him in 2009/10.

The question was why we can’t ‘sign’ a left sided player - Downing/Johnson being academy products...