oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

I'd be surprised if there was Premier League interest in Leadbitter, he's not a Premier League calibre player and never really has been.  However, I think he's done enough for us that we can make sure he can get a move that he'd like at this stage of his career.  A free transfer seems fair enough to me.

How would it make sense to let him go for free?

Because we don't want him, he will be on sizeable wages and he's worth naff all.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be surprised if there was Premier League interest in Leadbitter, he's not a Premier League calibre player and never really has been. However, I think he's done enough for us that we can make sure he can get a move that he'd like at this stage of his career. A free transfer seems fair enough to me.

This pretty much can't see any prem teams who would have had any serious interest in him. Even for a top 6 championship team he wasn't anything special.

I'd be surprised if there was Premier League interest in Leadbitter, he's not a Premier League calibre player and never really has been.  However, I think he's done enough for us that we can make sure he can get a move that he'd like at this stage of his career.  A free transfer seems fair enough to me.

How would it make sense to let him go for free?

Because we don't want him, he will be on sizeable wages and he's worth naff all.

And if we do get offers for him. Say a few championship teams are willing to offer 500k-1m for him because they would value his experience and Sunderland offers 0 should we just let him go because we have paid him a lot of money for years. I have yet to see that his loyalty to us isn’t just because of a lack of better opportunities during his time here. He left Ipswich because we offered him a better deal and he would have left us if he received a better deal elsewhere.

I value his time here but I really don’t see us owing him anything. If anything he owes us for extending a contract that he wouldn’t have got anywhere else.

I'm not sure we will get offers for him when he's on a fairly high wage and yeah I think it's fair to think of the fella, not just his career but his life. If he wants to stay local I'd have no problem with a free transfer. Thanks for the job you did for us and the best of luck to you. It's not about loyalty or any of that. He did a decent job for us, hasn't to my knowledge caused any problems and he's in the twilight of his career. We don't want him (as far as I'm aware), he's going to cost us a fair amount of money if he stays and he isn't really worth much so what would the issue be in letting him go?

It wouldn’t be a problem. I just don’t think we owe him anything or that he has shown us any particular loyalty as opposed to anyone else we have employed. He’s done his job that he was paid for. If the only way to get him off the books is a free transfer then fair enough.

I'd be surprised if there was Premier League interest in Leadbitter, he's not a Premier League calibre player and never really has been. However, I think he's done enough for us that we can make sure he can get a move that he'd like at this stage of his career. A free transfer seems fair enough to me.

This pretty much can't see any prem teams who would have had any serious interest in him. Even for a top 6 championship team he wasn't anything special.

Leadbitter had a very good season the year we lost in the playoff final. 12 goals 8 assists is not bad for a DM/CM.

Leadbitter had a very good season the year we lost in the playoff final. 12 goals 8 assists is not bad for a DM/CM.

The assists is decent but wasn't he massively propped up by penalties that year? 7 or 8?

The assists is decent but wasn't he massively propped up by penalties that year? 7 or 8?

8 penalties and 1 or 2 free kicks think there was only a couple from open play (one was an absolute screamer like). Also assists wise he was on literally every set piece that season.

Leadbitter scored about 3 or 4 screamers that year, if I recall correctly. Could have been a couple of free-kicks included in that, mind.

I can't understand the mentality behind wanting to hold him against his wishes. Even if you're not for the loyalty factor, half of you are banging on saying he's not good enough for us and never has been good enough for anything above us but then saying we should hold out for a relatively significant fee.

jamesp saying he's been finished for years but unwilling to let him go without a a fee of close to bloody £500k? Why? If he's so bad, who's going to come and sign him for half a million pounds? Or do you think he is actually worth that much? Make your mind up, man.

I just don’t think we should throw money away just because a player has a certain wish. Fair enough if it’s the only option but you make it sound like he’s devoted his life to the club and we somehow owe him something extra. He’s been rewarded with a pay that he would likely not have gotten anywhere else. And tbh I think we were his only option of playing in the Prem. I just don’t think we owe him more than he owes us. The move has to be right for both parties. Do you think he would accept a contract at Sunderland on a third of his current pay without expecting anything from us for the final year of his contract? There is a lot of considerations to make other than just say “oh let him choose what he wants because we owe him that.”

Bit of an update on the bloke on Twitter who claims were close to signing a number 10.

@Kins810: 26 year old. Mostly been playing no10 can roam across either wing though.

Bit of an update on the bloke on Twitter who claims were close to signing a number 10.

@Kins810: 26 year old. Mostly been playing no10 can roam across either wing though.

Not Dack then...

Not Dack then...

Scott Hogan? 

Just thinking Villa might need to sell some players

Freeman from QPR is the only realistic player I can think of who fits that profile.

Freeman from QPR is the only realistic player I can think of who fits that profile.

Jota? I know he's not really a number 10, but he has been playing there, I think.