oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

TeamTalk saying we're offering Britt as part of a deal to sign Matt Phillips.

Same article also links us with Birkir Bjarnason from Villa.

Icelandic international Brutish looking midfielder, can't say I've heard of him or noticed him playing for villa like.

Just checked, style of play 'indirect set piece threat'... *rolls eyes*

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd take a straight swap. I think west Brom will be looking for a goalscorer as they will only have jay rodriguez and Robson kanu when Rondon inevitably leaves - and I don't see either of those as main strikers. We need a creative winger and will probably sign a striker so the switch makes sense for everyone.

I wouldn't want us to be paying money on top of it though, I think they are of equivalent value in this league.

Bjarnason is one of the worst midfielders I've ever seen play in this division. Versatile, can play in numerous positions in defence and midfield. But I have to say I don't think I've ever seen him have a good game and I saw quite a bit of him last season for Villa. Might be harsh but I wouldn't waste a penny on him based on what I've seen.

I'd take a straight swap. I think west Brom will be looking for a goalscorer as they will only have jay rodriguez and Robson kanu when Robson inevitable leaves and I don't see either of those as main strikers. We need a creative winger and will probably sign a striker so the switch makes sense for everyone.

I wouldn't want us to be paying money on top of it though, I think they are of equivalent value in this league.

Don't they have Daniel Sturridge aswell or was that a loan?

I'd take a straight swap. I think west Brom will be looking for a goalscorer as they will only have jay rodriguez and Robson kanu when Robson inevitable leaves and I don't see either of those as main strikers. We need a creative winger and will probably sign a striker so the switch makes sense for everyone.

Don't they have Daniel Sturridge aswell or was that a loan?

That was a loan. He's back at Liverpool who are looking to sell him. It looks like he could be heading to Turkey

Newcastle are also reported to be after Phillips. So regardless of who/what we offer isn't he likely to opt for a Premier League wage?

Newcastle are also reported to be after Phillips. So regardless of who/what we offer isn't he likely to opt for a Premier League wage?

Too many factors involved to assume this. Would west Brom prefer a proven championsip goalscorer to the cash? Do Newcastle have their sights set on different targets first? Can a prem team offer him the guarantee of first team football he wants? He was in and out last season, does he want that again? It's not quite as simple as prem vs championship

Randolph

Shotton ayala flint/gibson bryan/friend

Clayton

Mcnair howson/besic

Traore Phillips

Bamford

As a starting 11 is an immensely strong championship team. I'd like to replace shotton in an ideal world but I don't think it'll happen. I also think that on top of those players well sign another striker so our bench would be a selection of -

dimi

Fry

gestede

Another striker

downing

Leadbitter

Chapman/taveneir

With Johnson, de sart, Braithwaite and Fletchers futures to be resolved.

I think we could look very strong if we pull this swap off.

Just a word of caution. The outlet which is reporting the Assombalonga/Phillips things also said we were hoping to sign up to 4 players last week. We signed none.

Bjarnason is one of the worst midfielders I've ever seen play in this division. Versatile, can play in numerous positions in defence and midfield. But I have to say I don't think I've ever seen him have a good game and I saw quite a bit of him last season for Villa. Might be harsh but I wouldn't waste a penny on him based on what I've seen.

pretty much agree,  he looked good in the euros but has been poor at Villa . but the big no from me is that basically what what ive seen of his style of play .is that hes a young version of Leadbitter,.but less shouty .  were more than covered in those midfielders and how many times do we need to see windows open and close without adressing the absolute main problem area.....a  goalscoring attacking midfielder that can dictate things between the centre line and the penalty area.

Too many factors involved to assume this. Would west Brom prefer a proven championsip goalscorer to the cash? Do Newcastle have their sights set on different targets first? Can a prem team offer him the guarantee of first team football he wants? He was in and out last season, does he want that again? It's not quite as simple as prem vs championship

Agreed. But now WBA are in the Championship he might get more first team time if he's as good as we think he is? Might it be that they can't afford to pay his wages now they're in this division?

Why on earth are we planning on bringing in more midfielders?? Winger is what we need not central midfielders...

Howson, Clayton, Leadbitter, McNair (can play there), Downing, De Sart.

I would like us for go for Besic if we do intend to get another midfielder..

for the rest of the team I would be happy to keep - maybe another keeper as Dimi is now getting old...

If we end up selling Britt and Braithwaite for Vokes and Phillips, would people generally be happy with that? Vokes is a little older, we'd certainly have a team more suited to Pulis' style. Especially if we did a deal with Everton for Besic + 10m for Gibson, that would mean without any net spending we could end up with a team like:

---------------Randolph

Shotton--Ayala--Flint--Friend

-----Besic--Clayton--McNair

Traore------Vokes-------Phillips

and that's a very strong Championship team for me, I'd prefer to start with Bamford uptop and save any money from Vokes, but Pulis might not fancy him...

Vokes and Phillips for Britt and Braihwaite would make us stronger. But only because Pulis is the manager because I would much rather have our two current players. If that makes sense.

Reading some of the reports about the swap deal it could sound like WBA are quite interested in Britt so maybe we could even squeeze out some money plus Phillips.