oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

So @2Plus2 - we ever shafts ourselves now, or shaft ourselves in the future...?

Think I'd take the former... Look at what Warnock did with a decidedly average Cardiff side, or Johnson with Bristol, Harris with Millwall, Neil with Preston - it is possible to build a side with minimal funds, but with a strong and pragmatic mindset to squad building.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopes for our future transfer business: Buy Bryan (6m) Freeman (3-4m) and Loan Ojo

Expectation: Sell Adama (18m), Buy Waghorn (7m) and Walters (4m)

10/10 username

Hopes for our future transfer business: Buy Bryan (6m) Freeman (3-4m) and Loan Ojo

Expectation: Sell Adama (18m), Buy Waghorn (7m) and Walters (4m)

10/10 username

To be fair though I'm not bedwetting over our transfer business and current squad like some of our fans this window and hope to be pleasantly surprised by a few signings. Maybe I should be called Realistic Boro fan?

I will be absolutely furious if we spend Bamford’s money on Martyn Waghorn!!!

I completely understand that we may have needed to sell Bamford in order to buy players. Bamford was a player who was worth a lot of money and unfortunately was never going to get a game under our current manager. It makes sense.

But if we turn around and waste the majority of that money on Waghorn I really have to question where this club is heading. He’s 28. In a seasons time he’ll be worth nothing.

I’ve been giving Pulis the benefit of the doubt up to now but if (and I obviously refute all of this if we don’t) we sign Waghorn I give up.

Cristiano Ronaldo is 33 and some club has just paid £90+ million for him. Not comparing abilities but age 28 is not an issue. Might seem old if you're 18 though.

I meant 28 more as in that he’s been around a while and he’s only had 1 good season i.e. it’s not like he’s a young striker who’s career may take off. I do think in a year or 2’s time his value will be next to nothing though as you don’t get much for an average Championship 30 year old striker.

And as for me being 18... I wish!

One consequence of bamford going is can we all agree Nixon doesn't know everything about transfers now. He claimed Leeds were never interested in bamford and were just leaking interest to force through vydra

I know all the players we're signing as well but I'm not naming names either.

Me too, and I knew about Bamford leaving back in January.  I'll come back on when we sign someone just to say I knew those exact names.

I will be absolutely furious if we spend Bamford’s money on Martyn Waghorn!!!

I completely understand that we may have needed to sell Bamford in order to buy players. Bamford was a player who was worth a lot of money and unfortunately was never going to get a game under our current manager. It makes sense.

But if we turn around and waste the majority of that money on Waghorn I really have to question where this club is heading. He’s 28. In a seasons time he’ll be worth nothing.

I’ve been giving Pulis the benefit of the doubt up to now but if (and I obviously refute all of this if we don’t) we sign Waghorn I give up.

Cristiano Ronaldo is 33 and some club has just paid £90+ million for him.  Not comparing abilities but age 28 is not an issue.  Might seem old if you're 18 though.

I meant 28 more as in that he’s been around a while and he’s only had 1 good season i.e. it’s not like he’s a young striker who’s career may take off. I do think in a year or 2’s time his value will be next to nothing though as you don’t get much for an average Championship 30 year old striker.

And as for me being 18... I wish!

I bet you do! Don't worry, we'll all take you for a pint when you turn 18. :whistle: :liar:

I know all the players we're signing as well but I'm not naming names either.

Me too, and I knew about Bamford leaving back in January.  I'll come back on when we sign someone just to say I knew those exact names.

Well thanks for that, it really helps the rest of us. You could have given a couple of clues!

One consequence of bamford going is can we all agree Nixon doesn't know everything about transfers now. He claimed Leeds were never interested in bamford and were just leaking interest to force through vydra

In fairness he just said he couldn’t see it because of the 16m price we put on him when Forrest enquired so that’s what he assumed was happening. Then he came back and said it’s real and he was surprised but it made more sense based on the structure of the deal.

I’ve said before that a lot of the stuff he says on Twitter is assumptions based around stuff that he does know.

I don’t think anyone expected him to know everything about transfers, and he can’t be the first to know about every deal, but he can usually check once he does know.

Ronaldo and Waghorn, it's the obvious comparison to make. One is one of the greatest athletes probably ever seen in the game in terms of physical shape and how he's looked after himself, not to mention one of the greatest players in history and one is a stumpy little Mackem/Geordie hybrid who is probably at least 25% Greggs sausage roll.

Ronaldo and Waghorn, it's the obvious comparison to make. One is one of the greatest athletes probably ever seen in the game in terms of physical shape and how he's looked after himself, not to mention one of the greatest players in history and one is a stumpy little Mackem/Geordie hybrid who is probably at least 25% Greggs sausage roll.

Ronaldo's from Newcastle?!

At least he’s the real deal CT, not one of those naff Bakers Oven sausage rolls

I'm wondering if Woody is being groomed to take over from Pulis?

RAF please give people something to smile about,

I hope he is.. I feel a bit mental saying it, considering his history and the stories that go around about him, but I enjoyed his 'lets have a go' attitude in the friendlies. And he knows all the kids coming through.

Might not be as far fetched as people think. Nothing in this but Pulis wont be extending his contract and seems to be passing a lot of responsibility onto woodgate who Gibson loves. Is he being prepped for it?

This is what terrifies me most. Not that he won't be here because I don't want him anywhere near Boro but that he'll blow our remaining budget on gambles for this season not having the clubs future interests in his thoughts, the likes of Waghorn and the massive fees touted around for 29/30 yr old strikers on big contracts, even Flint to a extent all while selling younger more talented players. 

If we don't go up this season (which is likely given Pulis is sh#te) then we are left with a typical Harry Redknapp scenario of a club left with a load of overpaid old players that we can't get rid of.

We’re signing a striker who has had two good seasons in his entire career, one of which was in the scottish championship, can someone please tell me how this is progress

Depressing to think we have gone from a position of being a premier league club to throw that away with sub standard signings when we had the chance to attract real quality. To now this, a new low for the club. Someone new needs to come in at the top because this club has been one of the worst ran in the country over the last few years, whoever’s in charge doesn’t have a *** clue.

Look at Burnley, promoted at the same time with an arguably worse squad and less money, two years later they are in Europe and we’re most likely to finish a mid table championship side, amazing what happens when you don’t blow all your money on big names looking for a last pay day and daft panic buys, and then sack your manager when things get tough

How many "good" seasons has Bamford had?

Not disagreeing with you on Waghorn. Just curious...

Two very good seasons and last season was pretty decent too. Basically every season where he’s had a decent run he’s performed well, and at 24 he will only get better

He’s gone backwards since our play off final season so I don’t think it’s a given that he will become better. I think this is his level and upwards of 10 million is decent for a championship striker that has already failed with 4 different clubs in the PL (Palace, Burnley, Norwich, Boro) and he didn’t even get a game for his parent club. He is championship level and I don’t think he will ever be a decent Prem player. Shame because had the ability before his awful decision to go on loan in the Prem when he wasn’t ready.