oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

Gibson is the only player on the books who we know can do it at Premier League level.  Everyone else has proven to be not good enough or is unproven at that level.  Worth considering?

Get your point but tbh even if we went up this year how many of the team that came down would still be in next seasons team?

I can't think of one besides maybe Clayton and I guess you could count Traore but he hardly played in our prem season.

Quite a few unless we get rid of them all I suppose.  Do you think Shotton, Flint, Howson and that lot can do it in the Premier League cos I don't.

I meant more from the team that came down ala Stuani/Leadboots and co. Nobody can say who will take to the prem out of current crop, on the face of it you're right it doesn't look like many (although i would say Howson had some decent seasons in the prem). I'd say that's the same for every promoted team.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another thing is, would he even start for them? Pretty sure they are well stocked in defence? If i was him I wouldn't want to be a bit part player unless it's one of the big Prem clubs.

Howson has performed fine when he's played in the premier league to be fair to him CT.

When?  He certainly played there before but he wasn't fine or anything else.  You really think Howson is a Premier League quality player?

Another thing is, would he even start for them? Pretty sure they are well stocked in defence? If i was him I wouldn't want to be a bit part player unless it's one of the big Prem clubs.

They wanted Manson but missed out as player preferred London so chose Fulham. 15-20m range.

Means Burnley have the money for a cb

So we're either a selling club or Ben's heart isn't in it. Don't see the appeal in a move to Burnley tbh; only a matter of time before their style gets found out and they come crashing back down to the Championship. They've had a poor pre season too by all accounts in terms of signings and results. Which player grows up wanting to play for Burnley instead of their boyhood club?

I don't think it's either. I get the impression we would have had a gentleman's agreement in asking him to stay this season and he could go if we failed to get promoted he would be able to go if we got a reasonable offer. The signing of Flint to me suggests we anticipated his sale or we were going to 3 at the back.

Controversially I like Dyche and think he is a good fit for Gibson despite him needing a good cough.

I meant more from the team that came down ala Stuani/Leadboots and co. Nobody can say who will take to the prem out of current crop, on the face of it you're right it doesn't look like many (although i would say Howson had some decent seasons in the prem). I'd say that's the same for every promoted team.

Yeah I know mate.  I meant those that are still here from then as well - Friend, Ayala, Clayton, Leadbitter, Downing, Gestede, Traore and the newer players like Shotton, Flint and Howson on top of that.

If you think Howson had decent seasons in the Premier League then I'd say we have different views about what decent at that level is, which is fine of course.  I don't see him helping us out much should we get promoted mind, it's difficult to say he should even be in our starting line up now other than by default as the alternative would be Leadbitter.

Right so I thought It’d be an idea to just list every player that has been even remotely rumoured or linked and is still available. From there we can guess/suggest which ‘3’ we want. (Referring to what Pulis said last night).

Tomas Holy

Andy Lonergan

Sam McQueen

Joe Bryan

Tommy Smith

Cuco Martina

Mo Besic

Alfred N’Diaye

Luke Freeman

Sheyi Ojo

Albert Adomah

Matty Phillips

Serge Canos

Martyn Waghorn

Sam Vokes

Peter Crouch

Salmon Rondon

Jordan Hugill

Dwight Gayle

Oumar Niasee

Howson has performed fine when he's played in the premier league to be fair to him CT.

When?  He certainly played there before but he wasn't fine or anything else.  You really think Howson is a Premier League quality player?

Well he's made over 100 premier league appearances, had 3 consecutive seasons there aswell and scored a few goals. So yeah I'd say that he performed fine. I think the term 'Premier league Quality' is questionable aswell. Are players like Ashley Barnes, John Walters etc Premier league quality ? Id suggest you'd say no? Yet they play in the prem because theyre comfortable in a system, like Howson was when he played at Norwich. I wasn't saying he was a top performer in the prem I was merely making the point he held his own and performed reasonably well for a midfielder in one of the poorer sides.

Well he's made over 100 premier league appearances, had 3 consecutive seasons there aswell and scored a few goals. So yeah I'd say that he performed fine. I think the term 'Premier league Quality' is questionable aswell. Are players like Ashley Barnes, John Walters etc Premier league quality ? Id suggest you'd say no? Yet they play in the prem because theyre comfortable in a system, like Howson was when he played at Norwich. I wasn't saying he was a top performer in the prem I was merely making the point he held his own and performed reasonably well for a midfielder in one of the poorer sides.

I'm just trying to understand why you think he played well other than because he had games there?  I don't remember seeing him playing for Norwich and thinking he was anything but a Championship player.  I'd suggest that he got games precisely because he was playing in a poor side, one that just stayed up, then got relegated and then got relegated again at the first time of asking.  I'm fairly sure he could help us get relegated but I'm assuming we're looking for more than that?  Let me ask you this, having seen him playing for us last season, do you think he'd perform better in the Premier League than the last set of midfielders we had up there - Clayton, de Roon, Forshaw and Leadbitter?

I think he would have offered more than Leadbitter and Forshaw yeah. I know Forshaw had a little spell when he was playing well in the early part of the season, but still, I'd suggest he would have offered more than them 2 did. I think a midfield 3 of De Roon, Clayton and Howson would have coped a little better than whenever the other 2 were playing. Imo anyway.