oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

For a lad without a footballing brain (and I'm not disputing that) he was considerably our most effective player in the 2nd half of the season. So he's shown with the right manager and a more cohesive unit around him, he doesn't necessarily need that brain in this division.

Yes, I can't argue with that mate. He was super exciting. I'm just not sure that it makes him worth £18.5M on it's own.

BTW - I don't want us to sell him. I really enjoy having Traore in our side. I just think that if someone is prepared to pay that amount, then we've done well.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone know much about this Hugill chap that keeps getting mentioned, I’ve never seen him play or really heard of him.

Also does anyone know why there seems to be a surfeit of Jordans in football these days?

Was talking to my Uncle who's a Preston season ticket holder, he thought he didn't look anything like a footballer when he first saw Hugill play, bit of an awkward striker. But after a year or two he really started to come into his own. He thinks it was the improved training methods between non-league and Prestons that improved his game as well as his conditioning. 

He said he's deceptively quick, doesn't stop running, strong and aggressive when closing down or battling in the air, as well as being a decent enough finisher. I asked him "so a bit like Salomon Rondon?" he replied "who's that?"  :funny:

Can people stop bedwetting, for all we know the club could be working on multiple incoming transfers behind the scenes, and those transfers could be a lot further along than has been made public.

Even those ITK might not have been told if they're big names for security reasons.

Just a thought.

I'm sure we are working on signings but it doesn't change the fact that big changes are going to be required in the space of 24hrs. It's hardly ideal.

Why 24 hrs

The boards own Oscar Wilde.

And not even in my native tongue, but hopefully my English is better than your Danish ::PP

I reckon Billy's Danish could be better than your Danish. :D

For sure, I'm not good at pastry :P

what do you call Danish pastries in Denmark? are they still Danish pastries? are they just pastries?

The funny thing is... We call it Wienerbrød - (Vienna Bread) (Vienna in Austria) [insert boomerang and kangaroo jokes here]

And not even in my native tongue, but hopefully my English is better than your Danish ::PP

I reckon Billy's Danish could be better than your Danish. :D

For sure, I'm not good at pastry :P

what do you call Danish pastries in Denmark? are they still Danish pastries? are they just pastries?

The funny thing is... We call it Wienerbrød - (Vienna Bread) (Vienna in Austria) [insert boomerang and kangaroo jokes here]

you call it weiner bread.

got it.

@SkySports_Keith

Burnley have placed an improved bid for Ben Gibson - after Middlesbrough rejected their initial £12m offer. We understand the second bid is £13m.

yep that extra 1m will make all the difference.

@SkySports_Keith

Burnley have placed an improved bid for Ben Gibson - after Middlesbrough rejected their initial £12m offer. We understand the second bid is £13m.

:funny:

@SkySports_Keith

yep that extra 1m will make all the difference.

Only 4 more bids to go before they get to the price

For a lad without a footballing brain (and I'm not disputing that) he was considerably our most effective player in the 2nd half of the season. So he's shown with the right manager and a more cohesive unit around him, he doesn't necessarily need that brain in this division.

Yes, I can't argue with that mate. He was super exciting. I'm just not sure that it makes him worth £18.5M on it's own.

BTW - I don't want us to sell him. I really enjoy having Traore in our side. I just think that if someone is prepared to pay that amount, then we've done well.

Well like I've said in the past, we kind of have to judge the £18.5m release clause on when we bought him. As you've alluded to, even coming into January this year, would anyone have valued him as high as that, even on here? A lot were happy to sell for at least marginally less than that while clubs still believed they could get anything ultimately productive out of him.

If you ask me if he's worth £18.5m more right now, I wouldn't agree. I think he's worth more, much more. He's started to be effective, he's only 22.5 years old so has so much of his career left ahead of him. But most importantly and what really is what makes his value jump in my head is that what was once a question of if any manager can get him to be effective is now a question of if the manager is right, they can get him to be effective. And how many managers out there will look at a talent like Adama Traore and say "Nah, I'm not good enough to get him to the same level Pulis did"?

Have we got everything right with regards to Traore along the way? Is the new contract offer this summer too late? Should it have been offered sooner to try and up that release clause? Well no, not really. It's only based on the last 6 months that we would justifiably want that clause increased. Increasing it sooner would have been a bit reckless and to be fair, he probably wouldn't have signed it before Pulis got the best out of him because he wasn't playing enough.

So I'm going to be sad to see him go for £18.5m. But I'm not going to blame the club, Karanka, Monk, Pulis or anyone for that. It is, as they say, what it is.

@SkySports_Keith

Middlesbrough are in talks with QPR over a move for midfielder Luke Freeman.

AT LAST! Let's get some signings in please. Do people reckon we will spend most of the cash we bring in from sales then?

@SkySports_Keith

Middlesbrough are in talks with QPR over a move for midfielder Luke Freeman.

AT LAST! Let's get some signings in please. Do people reckon we will spend most of the cash we bring in from sales then?

I think that will be the plan, the wage bill will probably be reduced as well. Freeman would be a very good signing in my book, peach of a left good at driving forward with the ball too.