oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

£15m for Gibson to Burnley is a joke. To sign a decent centre back we’ll need to spend at least £4m-£7m, so that’s only £8m-£11m gained to lose essentially our captain on the pitch.

I can only think Steve promised Ben a move if we didn’t get promoted.

Gutted.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think Adama is leaving.

If the rumours are true that Wolves are willing to bid the value of the release clause, I think he will. I think if he was definitely staying then he'd have signed the contract already. The fact he's keeping his options open for as long as he is speaks volumes to me.

The bit I don’t understand is why wolves haven’t bought him already. They know we don’t want to sell they know we will only sell because we have to if the clause is met. So why are they messing around putting smaller bids or even not just giving us the clause amount

Pulis must be *** off too. Behind on signings. Losing a starting CB the day before the season starts. About to lose his most attacking player. None of the problem positions have been corrected.

This is one of the most negative preseasons I’ve known. I keep thinking we must have signed someone by now...but still nothing. The transfer window closing early is definitely backfiring on us. 6 days to go.

With 6 days to go last season we ended up signing Fletcher, Shotton and Johnson. We we’re signing cover, not starters. Let’s hope we can do a bit better.

Why is it Pulis fault? One player has a release clause which has been met, another made his switch happen and been planned of last 4 weeks If rumours to believed, and the final one a Middlesbrough lad through and through who deserves his chance in the PL with a now established team. Pulis can try and sign every player in the world but if we don't have the money, they don't want to come what can he do? Drama Queen much

My post says that Pulis must be annoyed too, I don’t think it’s his fault.

My mistake...i apoligise read it wrong

£15m for Gibson to Burnley is a joke. To sign a decent centre back we’ll need to spend at least £4m-£7m, so that’s only £8m-£11m gained to lose essentially our captain on the pitch.

I can only think Steve promised Ben a move if we didn’t get promoted.

Gutted.

I think it's a mixture of getting a suitable deal for us and this. We'd not let him go for nothing but as the window has gone on, it's become increasingly obvious that not many teams are willing to pay the sum of money we'd ideally want for him. We definitely had interest from the Prem last year which we turned down and convinced him to stay and sign an improved contract almost undoubtedly under the pretence that if we failed to go up, he'd be given a relatively fair chance to leave.

Sometimes it takes a couple of big transfers to swing the whole thing into action. That's what Pulis was alluding to this morning.. he sounds just as frustrated as everyone else and knows we are well behind on where we want to be.

It's going to be a tough first few games for us while we finalise deals, get over injuries, and bed players in... some serious patience required.

If the rumours are true that Wolves are willing to bid the value of the release clause, I think he will. I think if he was definitely staying then he'd have signed the contract already. The fact he's keeping his options open for as long as he is speaks volumes to me.

The bit I don’t understand is why wolves haven’t bought him already. They know we don’t want to sell they know we will only sell because we have to if the clause is met. So why are they messing around putting smaller bids or even not just giving us the clause amount

I've had this thought too. I think if adama was really keen on a move to wolves hed have been on to his agent to be telling them to activate the clause so he can get moved and settled in or he'll sign a new deal with boro or go elsewhere.

I think he's waiting for a bigger team to come in for him and that he might sign the contract rather than go to wolves.

The bit I don’t understand is why wolves haven’t bought him already.  They know we don’t want to sell they know we will only sell because we have to if the clause is met.  So why are they messing around putting smaller bids or even not just giving us the clause amount

I think there's a few potential reasons. Maybe they really don't want to spend that amount of money and are weighing up their options in terms of value for money elsewhere. Maybe Nuno is having a difficult time convincing the owners to break their transfer record for him. Maybe they're willing to leave it as late as possible in case we drop our valuation. Or maybe they're going to leave it late to mess us up because they don't like that we're not playing ball over our valuation.

The bit I don’t understand is why wolves haven’t bought him already.  They know we don’t want to sell they know we will only sell because we have to if the clause is met.  So why are they messing around putting smaller bids or even not just giving us the clause amount

I've had this thought too. I think if adama was really keen on a move to wolves hed have been on to his agent to be telling them to activate the clause so he can get moved and settled in or he'll sign a new deal with boro or go elsewhere.

I think he's waiting for a bigger team to come in for him and that he might sign the contract rather than go to wolves.

He's 100% waiting for a bigger club.

Maybe the people who decide things at Wolves would prefer all of that lovely money to go somewhere else? They know the fee that definitely makes him available so they try it on to see if they can get him for less?

And why would he sign a different contract now? Its in his favour not to. If he has a good season then he will be a really cheap option for a premier club at £18m.

And why would he sign a different contract now? Its in his favour not to. If he has a good season then he will be a really cheap option for a premier club at £18m.

To double his wages? Pretty good incentive!

Might be clutching at straws but maybe it's not to be underestimated how hard it is for any club outside the top 4 to pull out 18m upfront.

Poor example but how many of us could afford the cars we drive if you had to pay the whole cost upfront? I'm not an expert on how transfers are paid but I'm assuming most are done in installments.

Sometimes it takes a couple of big transfers to swing the whole thing into action. That's what Pulis was alluding to this morning.. he sounds just as frustrated as everyone else and knows we are well behind on where we want to be.

It's going to be a tough first few games for us while we finalise deals, get over injuries, and bed players in... some serious patience required.

Last week Leeds were in this position, their targets going elsewhere/not progressing (was quite amusing reading their fan meltdown on twitter) then all of a sudden the had Douglas, Harrison and Bamford through the door. Now Leeds fans are expecting their usual promotion guaranteed selves. And probably having a chuckle at our expense.

Hopefully we can see that sort of turnaround... just need clubs to play ball and agents to as well.

This is me clinging to hope btw.