oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

He was pretty bad, remember seeing him against wolves in that first game and just thinking wtf have we got here.

However he did have some games where he looked a lot better and he looks pretty good in the air, I’d be happy to give him a bit of time to develop.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fletcher is younger than Lewis Wing ffs, shocking some of the stuff said about him on here.

Exactly. The lads a kid and a prospect; people are willing to give players like Wing and Chapman a chance but have already written off Fletcher.

And it's funny that some of those saying "it's not about the fee..." are the ones who bang on about it every time Fletcher's name is mentioned! ;)

• Like 1

Fletcher is younger than Lewis Wing ffs, shocking some of the stuff said about him on here.

Exactly. The lads a kid and a prospect; people are willing to give players like Wing and Chapman a chance but have already written off Fletcher.

And it's funny that some of those saying "it's not about the fee..." are the ones who bang on about it every time Fletcher's name is mentioned! ;)

I'm willing to give Chapman and Wing a chance cos they've looked like doing more in 3 friendlies than Fletcher has in 500 minutes of football haha.

He was pretty bad, remember seeing him against wolves in that first game and just thinking wtf have we got here.

However he did have some games where he looked a lot better and he looks pretty good in the air, I’d be happy to give him a bit of time to develop.

Every player was bad against Wolves lmao

Agree with the second point though

As I've said before, Fletcher has all the attributes to play that lone striker role. He has size, speed and good movement. What he needs is to bring it all together. Hopefully the coaches can bring him up to speed quickly as i believe he could destroy other teams if he brings it.

I know it’s all in the past now but I do wonder how different the season would’ve been had Monk stuck to the narrow 433 (aka the formation he designed his transfer window around). We were poor against Wolves but I didn’t think we deserved to lose. We conceded to a fluke error from Ayala and had two very good chances to equalise (Braithwaite header and Bamford one on one), plus Wolves were pretty average themselves. Then against Forest away there’s no way we should’ve lost, Britt missed about 3 sitters within two minutes. I thought the system had promise and had to be given a chance. Monk clearly disagreed and sacked it off. The rest is incredibly underwhelming history.

You could also argue that people only think he's a prospect because of what he cost, if we'd brought him in on a free transfer he'd barely get a mention.

I can see the argument that he's got some of the physical attributes to be a player but you need a lot more than that to succeed at this level.

It’s hard to judge someone on a couple of games. Bamford looked a complete donkey in her first 4-5 games for us. He had a first touch of a baby elephant and couldn’t pass a ball over 5 yards until he got he’s first goal then he started looking like he was a professional football.

Fletcher has Traore’s brain with Shotton’s touch. He has the physical attributes (pace, power) to make it but he never will as he doesn’t have the mental and technical attributes to match.

I know it’s all in the past now but I do wonder how different the season would’ve been had Monk stuck to the narrow 433 (aka the formation he designed his transfer window around). We were poor against Wolves but I didn’t think we deserved to lose, we conceded to a fluke error from Ayala and had two very good chances to equalise (Braithwaite header and Bamford one on one). Then against Forest away there’s no way we should’ve lost, Britt missed about 3 sitters within two minutes. I thought the system had promise and had to be given a chance. Monk clearly disagreed and sacked it off. The rest is incredibly underwhelming history.

We only looked good against Forest Away when we changed formation from 433 to 442, in the first half we couldn't get the ball off Forest and we got a bit of a football lesson.

In the second half we basically stuck Gestede and Britt up together and just went route one.

That was the game where I thought Monk was out of his depth, all the fans around me were saying we need to change formation in the first half because it was so obvious the 433 wasn't working. It took Monk 45 minutes to see what we could see after about 15 minutes.

Not about been shocking, fans are making comments based on what they've seen of Fletcher, do you honestly think any of the fans on here want to see Fletcher fail, it would not be n the interests of the club, you've obviously seen something in Fletcher many of us unfortunately haven't.

Any club losing its three best outfield players in just one Summer is going to gut a lot of the optimism around it. Losing Bamford seems to have been a choice by Pulis, but the seemingly impending exits of Gibson and Traore seem to be somewhat out of Pulis' control. Traore has a release clause so we can't do anything about it, except for offering a new contract which we've done. It seems like we gave Gibson assurances that if he gives one season with us in the Championship then we wouldn't stand in his way if we don't get promoted, so Pulis' hands are somewhat tied with him.

I see the remaining few days of the transfer window as the start of a massive and tough rebuild job. The situation we're in is a very tough position for any manager. A bit of short term patience is going to be needed by everyone. Pilling all the blame for the predicament of the departures of Traore and Gibson on Pulis would be unfair. We're going to have a few days and a hell of a lot of budget to rebuild the squad so hopefully we start to see us signing the right sorts of players to add quality and balance to the squad. With the right decisions being made by Pulis we can sort this tough predicament out though so all is not lost.

It's worth baring in mind that the past two Summer transfer windows have got fans excited only to leave them massively disappointed in the end as it dawned that we hadn't spent out money wisely. I'd happily take some decisions by Pulis that prove to be correct in the long term, even if they're unpopular a*** fans in the short term e.g. Waghorn. Pulis done a great job last season to get us into the play offs and cut back n the huge inefficiencies within our squad so I think he deserves patience to rebuild the squad.

Today is going to be a very tough game with our patched up and thin squad. Having no Gibson, Ayala, McNair, Traore and Gestede would be a massive blow to any Championship side. I'd be really happy with a point today considering how bad of a state we're in at the moment. We'll need the likes of Fry, Wing Chapman, Fletcher etc to fill in the gaps and hopefully seize their opportunity.

I know it’s all in the past now but I do wonder how different the season would’ve been had Monk stuck to the narrow 433 (aka the formation he designed his transfer window around). We were poor against Wolves but I didn’t think we deserved to lose, we conceded to a fluke error from Ayala and had two very good chances to equalise (Braithwaite header and Bamford one on one). Then against Forest away there’s no way we should’ve lost, Britt missed about 3 sitters within two minutes. I thought the system had promise and had to be given a chance. Monk clearly disagreed and sacked it off. The rest is incredibly underwhelming history.

We only looked good against Forest Away when we changed formation from 433 to 442, in the first half we couldn't get the ball off Forest and we got a bit of a football lesson.

In the second half we basically stuck Gestede and Britt up together and just went route one.

That was the game where I thought Monk was out of his depth, all the fans around me were saying we need to change formation in the first half because it was so obvious the 433 wasn't working. It took Monk 45 minutes to see what we could see after about 15 minutes.

You’re right, forgot we changed formation...I still think the system deserved to be given more of a chance, especially after spunking around £50mill on a squad designed to play it.

Unlike some people I want all our players irrelevant of history to do well.. because them doing well means boro doing well... come on BORO

You can still want someone to do well even if you expect that they probably won’t. There is a difference, you do realise that?

I haven’t read one person say that they don’t want Fletcher to do well. I’m sure everyone would be over the moon if he finished the season as the Championship’s top scorer. However, having seen him play, I suspect he probably won’t.