oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

@DK - When considering Wingers as midfielders, I certainly didn't contradict myself.

Assombalonga doesn't have energy, but there's no point wasting it when you don't have anyone in support. Even with Braithwaite there, that's 2 against a back 4/5. Someone on the right flank getting forward in a similar vein, plus McNair - who's arguably become more forward thinking than any of our options or Besic -bursting forward late does start to combat that and break the gap between the banks ignoring players in our current system.

If Besic came in for his traditional role as a holding mid with McNair and Howson ahead of him, I'd be game. Clayton would perhaps be needed in games where we need to break up the oppositions flow a bit more, but Besic could also play the box-to-box role we saw last term in that system too.

My problem is that I don't see us being linked with a better striker than Assombalonga. If it was Hugill for Gestede, I'd be entirely up for that; he's a better version of what we have. But if we sign a striker, I'm all-but convinced that The Ass won't be here come the end of the window - and I'd not be willing to sacrifice what he brings simply for an upgrade on Gestede which means we'd only be able to play with one dynamic.

CM would probably be 4th on my Priority List. ST I'm loathed to include a as I'm convinced it'd be a Britt replacement... And I don't see that being an improvement in terms of quality.

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Good post. :cheese:

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 gibbo, 10 bamford, 20+ adama. That's 45 million. My guess, we won't spend 25mill.

Including an additional parachute payment of approximately 35m.

And a wage bill of approximately £40m

Speed kills. Now we don’t have any.

And £10m doesn’t get you much nowadays unfortunately.

This is a sad day. My 5 year old loved having the fastest player in the country play for us. Time to break the news.

15 gibbo, 10 bamford, 20+ adama. That's 45 million. My guess, we won't spend 25mill.

We’ve already spent nearly £10m on McNair and Flint. Bamford was £7m rising to £10m so knock £3m off that

Am I the only one who saw the + sign after £20m on Adama’s fee? Having negotiated it we almost definitely have a sell on now, it spreads our income nicely for the next few windows to lessen the impact of losing parachute payments if necessary.

Saw it reported as 26m elsewhere

Same, which isn't too far off the deal i suggested yesterday.

Just thinking about it, I'm fairly confident Villa's cut only comes from the guaranteed part of the payments from Wolves (upfront fee and any future guaranteed payments) not from performance related factors and definitely not from any future sell on fee. Perhaps we've been a bit clever and put significant portions of the payments as performance related bonuses but ones that will definitely get met (e.g a payment after he makes 10 appearances, a payment after his first goal) to try and avoid giving Villa a huge sum.

Mad how we didn’t try to use someone like Douglas as part of the Traore deal mind

We have no idea if we did or even if we would want him. What if Wolves wanted £10m knocked off the fee for Adama for Douglas?

Am I the only one who saw the + sign after £20m on Adama’s fee? Having negotiated it we almost definitely have a sell on now, it spreads our income nicely for the next few windows to lessen the impact of losing parachute payments if necessary.

we may have a sell on but I think the + is because there are performance related add ons involved. as someone else said it's been reported it's up to 26m.

Mad how we didn’t try to use someone like Douglas as part of the Traore deal mind

Agree with this. Need a LB, best LB in the league. Should have been negotiated into a deal.

we may have a sell on but I think the + is because there are performance related add ons involved. as someone else said it's been reported it's up to 26m.

Just posted this;

Just thinking about it, I'm fairly confident Villa's cut only comes from the guaranteed part of the payments from Wolves (upfront fee and any future guaranteed payments) not from performance related factors and definitely not from any future sell on fee. Perhaps we've been a bit clever and put significant portions of the payments as performance related bonuses but ones that will definitely get met (e.g a payment after he makes 10 appearances, a payment after his first goal) to try and avoid giving Villa a huge sum.