• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We won't divert from 4-3-3. This is Pulis' system, best to stick to what he knows. He's less likely to have us functioning effectively with a system he isn't comfortable with.

If anything it might be wise to stick with a formation we'd most like use in the PL anyway (for continuity should we be lucky enough to get promoted). Too easily exposed vs better players with 2 CMs.

Our best chance of promotion is using wing In the middle of a 4 (or buyindg an attacking midfielder) with proper wide men.

Let's not plan for the premier league when we have nothing like a promotion winning side. Let's utilise our squad to the best of it's ability, get promoted and then worry about the premier league in May.

Won't happen though

We won't divert from 4-3-3. This is Pulis' system, best to stick to what he knows. He's less likely to have us functioning effectively with a system he isn't comfortable with.

If anything it might be wise to stick with a formation we'd most like use in the PL anyway (for continuity should we be lucky enough to get promoted). Too easily exposed vs better players with 2 CMs.

Our best chance of promotion is using wing In the middle of a 4 (or buyindg an attacking midfielder) with proper wide men.

Let's not plan for the premier league when we have nothing like a promotion winning side. Let's utilise our squad to the best of it's ability, get promoted and then worry about the premier league in May.

Won't happen though

Might as well just get a flat back 5 and defend every game then make sure we don't get relegated as we're not going to get promoted!

I don't get this: 4-3-3 is a Pulis system it's all he knows. When he came here he tried 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 before settling on a 4-3-3 because of the players he had available to him.

Last season at west brom from what I remember he played 3-5-2 for a while, before reverting to a 4-3-3 when things started to go badly. The season before he mainly played a 4-2-3-1.

At Palace he played a 4-2-3-1 because that was the best formation for the players he had available. I seem to remember his go to formation at Stoke was a 4-4-2?

People see the way he plays football and think he's tactically inept because he plays percentage long ball football, which is in itself a successful tactic.

No official bid has been made yet, but Boro are looking to sign Hugill for around £7m. (via @TEAMtalk)

Start ***ing bidding for players! What the *** are we waiting for!?!?

I think we need to go 442 to get the best out of Britt, or at least 4231 and have someone in there doing the hold up work.

Our problem for ages has been we just can’t get the ball to stick beyond the half way line, we lose it to easily, can’t build pressure or wear teams down.

Britt can’t do this but he can score goals, get someone in who can do it and just get him in between the striker and midfield as a pivot point.

Won't happen though

Might as well just get a flat back 5 and defend every game then make sure we don't get relegated as we're not going to get promoted!

We aren't. Have you seen our team. We have the slowest midfield since we bought all the Scottish players. Even the most optimistic of fans wearing Boros rose tinted glasses can't possibly see us being a promotion winning side.

We had a shining light last season. He is leaving. We had one truly genuinely premier league quality player. He has left. The one guy who knew how to score goals on a consistent basis has left. Our top scorer from last season is not the managers number 1. Instead he wants a lump up front.

I want us to win the league. But right now, with what we have I don't think we can. And very few Boro fans (taking Off those rose tinted glasses) believe so either. Playing our kids will give us something to shout about. Buying some talent would so the same. But again, if anyone thinks we are going to spend all of the incoming money this window then they too are wearing those rose tinted glasses.

If you think we are going to be in any kind of position to challenge for promotion come may then i fear you are going to be seriously disappointed.

And please don't joke about a flat back 5. TP may read this thread, and given his advisors appear to be fairly inept, he may take your advice:P

Won't happen though

We aren't. Have you seen our team. We have the slowest midfield since we bought all the Scottish players. Even the most optimistic of fans wearing Boros rose tinted glasses can't possibly see us being a promotion winning side.

We had a shining light last season. He is leaving. We had one truly genuinely premier league quality player. He has left. The one guy who knew how to score goals on a consistent basis has left. Our top scorer from last season is not the managers number 1. Instead he wants a lump up front.

I want us to win the league. But right now, with what we have I don't think we can. And very few Boro fans (taking Off those rose tinted glasses) believe so either. Playing our kids will give us something to shout about. Buying some talent would so the same. But again, if anyone thinks we are going to spend all of the incoming money this window then they too are wearing those rose tinted glasses.

If you think we are going to be in any kind of position to challenge for promotion come may then i fear you are going to be seriously disappointed.

And please don't joke about a flat back 5. TP may read this thread, and given his advisors appear to be fairly inept, he may take your advice:P

Rarely agree with you but your bang on about this.

I don’t get why people seem to rate our players so highly, we have Britt, braithwaite, Ayala and Randolph and nothing else really. Mcnair, tavernier and chapman the jury is out and wing looks promising.

None of that will be enough to get us up, last seasons team with on form Bamford, Traore and Gibson wasn’t good enough to get us past the 4th place team, so the same team minus those 3 imo gives us no hope at all.

I’d be more excited if we built a young team with the likes of Bowen, woods, wing, Watkins, ojo, give us some thing to enjoy watching.

Won't happen though

What’s the opposite of rose tinted glasses?

We have one of the best keepers in the league, we still have a decent defence for the championship, Clayton McNair and Howson in midfield are all solid championship midfielders, we just need the right combination with wide players. Wether we have Britt upfront or Gestede if we get the right wide players in both of those will get goals.

Wing looks like a very good option in the middle, with Tav and Chapman as back up options, all look decent prospects.

I know you hate Pulis but he’s only brought McNair and Flint in (so far) the rest is what he has to work with. Gibson got a prem offer and took it. Traore has a release clause and a prem club came knocking. None of this is on Pulis.

I know we need to make a couple of quality signings to be pushing for promotion but at the same time it’s not that bad. Few good signings and the whole mood changes.

Won't happen though

I want us to win the league. But right now, with what we have I don't think we can. And very few Boro fans (taking Off those rose tinted glasses) believe so either.  Playing our kids will give  us something to shout about. Buying some talent would so the same. But again, if anyone thinks we are going to spend all of the incoming money this window then they too are wearing those rose tinted glasses.

I don’t get why people seem to rate our players so highly, we have Britt, braithwaite, Ayala and Randolph and nothing else really. Mcnair, tavernier and chapman the jury is out and wing looks promising.

None of that will be enough to get us up, last seasons team with on form Bamford, Traore and Gibson wasn’t good enough to get us past the 4th place team, so the same team minus those 3 imo gives us no hope at all.

I’d be more excited if we built a young team with the likes of Bowen, woods, wing, Watkins, ojo, give us some thing to enjoy watching.

I agree with Tudders to a degree, let's see who we get in first.

I got to say I think you're in a fantasy world sometimes LinoJo. 

McNair looks like a very good signing but time will tell. Tavernier, Chapman and Wing all have great potential and hopefully we'll get to see their potential this season. Clayton is still more than capable in the holding role for us and is still a top midfielder in this league. Flint has been a consistent performer for Bristol City over the past few years, whilst goals make him more attractive, he can clearly defend as well(didn't do himself justice against Millwall admittedly). Dael Fry looks more than capable to step up and prove himself in the Boro side. George Friend for all the stick he gets he is still one of the best LB's in this league. Downing is still one of the best passers in this league and if played in the correct position could be a key player for us. Ashley Fletcher has also had a good pre season and looked good in the limited minutes against Millwall and was a part of the reason we snatched a point.

I think a lot of Boro fans, including the 2 of you, undervalue how good some of our players are and how good they can be. We're in a lot better position than a good portion of the Championship teams and this is without finishing our summer transfer business. I think you both also undervalue the experience Tony Pulis bring to our side, we may have lost some players but what we have gained over pre season is a better understanding of how he wants us to play and that will show when the going gets tough and we need to grind out results.

Your comment about building a young team with the likes of Wing and co in just makes no sense what so ever as you contradict yourself. You've just said you aren't sure if Chapman, Tavernier and even Wing to an extent are ready but you want us to build around them? I don't get it.

Won't happen though

I want us to win the league. But right now, with what we have I don't think we can. And very few Boro fans (taking Off those rose tinted glasses) believe so either.  Playing our kids will give  us something to shout about. Buying some talent would so the same. But again, if anyone thinks we are going to spend all of the incoming money this window then they too are wearing those rose tinted glasses.

We have one of the best keepers in the league, we still have a decent defence for the championship, Clayton McNair and Howson in midfield are all solid championship midfielders, we just need the right combination with wide players. Wether we have Britt upfront or Gestede if we get the right wide players in both of those will get goals.

Wing looks like a very good option in the middle, with Tav and Chapman as back up options, all look decent prospects.

I know you hate Pulis but he’s only brought McNair and Flint in (so far) the rest is what he has to work with. Gibson got a prem offer and took it. Traore has a release clause and a prem club came knocking. None of this is on Pulis.

I know we need to make a couple of quality signings to be pushing for promotion but at the same time it’s not that bad. Few good signings and the whole mood changes.

Completely agree with this. 

We can start worrying if the signings don't come but there is plenty of time for them to happen so lighten up and watch us beat Sheffield United comfortably. :blush:

Won't happen though

Apologies, but at what stage in the above did I mention pulis? Did I never mention management or philosophy of the manager? I mentioned that the manager wants a lump up front. Every pulis fan knows this.

You appear to have taken this as a slight at the guy in charge of the team. It isn't. It's a slight at what we have become. Slow. Ponderous. Boring.

For me we had a "way". An "identity". We are the last club to play 11 British players in a premier league game. We had a top quality youth system. We are now identity-less. And on top of this we aren't very good.

If you want to bring pulis into the conversation on this point the that's fine by me. But I didn't. You did

Won't happen though

I agree with Tudders to a degree, let's see who we get in first.

I got to say I think you're in a fantasy world sometimes LinoJo. 

McNair looks like a very good signing but time will tell. Tavernier, Chapman and Wing all have great potential and hopefully we'll get to see their potential this season. Clayton is still more than capable in the holding role for us and is still a top midfielder in this league. Flint has been a consistent performer for Bristol City over the past few years, whilst goals make him more attractive, he can clearly defend as well(didn't do himself justice against Millwall admittedly). Dael Fry looks more than capable to step up and prove himself in the Boro side. George Friend for all the stick he gets he is still one of the best LB's in this league. Downing is still one of the best passers in this league and if played in the correct position could be a key player for us. Ashley Fletcher has also had a good pre season and looked good in the limited minutes against Millwall and was a part of the reason we snatched a point.

I think a lot of Boro fans, including the 2 of you, undervalue how good some of our players are and how good they can be. We're in a lot better position than a good portion of the Championship teams and this is without finishing our summer transfer business. I think you both also undervalue the experience Tony Pulis bring to our side, we may have lost some players but what we have gained over pre season is a better understanding of how he wants us to play and that will show when the going gets tough and we need to grind out results.

Your comment about building a young team with the likes of Wing and co in just makes no sense what so ever as you contradict yourself. You've just said you aren't sure if Chapman, Tavernier and even Wing to an extent are ready but you want us to build around them? I don't get it.

I meant I’d rather build a team around them and other young promising players in this league than go down the tried and tested adomah/snodgrass route

Won't happen though

Apologies, but at what stage in the above did I mention pulis? Did I never mention management or philosophy of the manager? I mentioned that the manager wants a lump up front. Every pulis fan knows this.

You appear to have taken this as a slight at the guy in charge of the team. It isn't. It's a slight at what we have become. Slow. Ponderous. Boring.

For me we had a "way". An "identity". We are the last club to play 11 British players in a premier league game. We had a top quality youth system. We are now identity-less. And on top of this we aren't very good.

If you want to bring pulis into the conversation on this point the that's fine by me. But I didn't. You did

Only a slight dig in this post I admit