oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

There's paying money to agents and there's getting taken to the cleaners.

What's the difference?  I mean, how do you tell what the difference is between paying the agents and getting taken to the cleaners?  If we've never ever paid an agent £1m during a transfer then fair enough but if we have then are we simply saying that it's too much this time?  What did we have to pay to get Ramirez and where did that money go I wonder?  When we signed some of the bigger names we've signed in the past did we really not hand over significant amounts to agents?  I just can't see how we would have avoided it.

There was a news article saying average agent fees is around 6%

So if it’s true that besics agent wanted £1m from a £6m transfer then that’s being fleeced.

I suspect that includes all transfers though including the lower leagues.  I bet the higher you go up the more money agents end up pocketing.

Well the agent fee is part of the transfer too, comes out of the same budget. I suspect we wouldn't have said yes to another £1m on top of that transfer fee either. Just as with Rhodes we wouldn't have said "Get the agent to drop his price and we'll pay you the extra". Not that that scenario is realistic but I hope you see the point I'm making.

I'm not saying we've never handed over significant agent fees too. But it's all in the valuation of the transfer. If hypothetically you can sign a player for free but the agent wants £10m, it's still a £10m transfer. The Ramirez deal from what I know sounds like a good example as I believe we may have paid the agent a fair amount to sort out the red tape but given the transfer cost us what was it... £8m in the end? I'd say that was a fair reflection of the value that player showed to us.

In terms of Besic, it didn't even sound like we wanted to pay £6m for him at all. We've managed to negotiate it, undoubtedly to go to £6m with add-ons and whilst we may have heard the agent say at some stage what their fee was going to be, it doesn't necessarily mean they didn't change the goalposts. We might have expected half that and maybe the agent saw his chance to make that double with the window coming to a close.

This is all hypothetical. On the outside right now, it doesn't look good. The fact we're sat here debating our deadline day's success or lack thereof based on the failure of only Besic's transfer takes away from what has been a crap day overall, arguably one of the positions on the pitch which least needed attention. Pulis and the club will undoubtedly be asked a lot of questions in the next few days and we'll hopefully start to see a clearer picture of what has been and what's to come.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll tell you what the loan window is.....it's an excuse for people to use when we don't get in our 'targets'.

How many people said judge when the transfer window closes. Now it's judge when the loan window closes. Then there will be excuses and everyone who says the club have screwed it up or dare I say, used these infamous smoke and mirrors on their fans, will be considered bedwetters.

In my opinion, and I honestly don't mind if people disagree, this was always the plan. We did our business early. Flint and mcnair. That's it. We then wanted to get as much money in as possible for a striker and the two most saleable assets. Bank the money. Pay off the debt. Who knows. May be ensure we have a pot of money for the new manager?

Either way, I think plan A was a success for the club today.

This window including the loan window will be a failure if we don't fix the problematic areas.

The loan window is still open and until then I have no issue.

Hugill has replaced Bamford. Flint replaced Gibson. Debt I'm not 100% we have any, I could be wrong of course. I think it is a conspiracy this whole 'Plan', I don't doubt that we are steadying the ship but we will sort this with the loan window.

We were going to (at least start to) sort it with the real window. And let's face it, we haven't. Barring wing we have the lowest midfield since Robson, Thompson and flood. We have zero creativity from the left......or the right. Our full backs are mid table at best and we have zero back up for them. The players we have bought in are inferior to those we let go. I love all the optimism. I'm sick of the "we'll be fine" line that keeps dropping up.

Why can't our fans just face it, this window has been disastrous, and though I actually prefer to loan some players to take away the massive risks, I just don't see us fill in all the positions needed. I'm not even sure the positions we believe need addressing are considers to be problem areas within the club.

I don't believe we hugely need that creative central player because I feel Downing or Howson can adequately do the job. Braitwaite from the left or right is creative. Our full backs I believe are good enough, Shotton can be a liability at times but I really like him and as for Friend I rate him as one of the top LB's in the league still. I agree we have bought in inferior players but Adama was to good for us and so was Gibson, that's football.

I don't believe we can call this window a disaster just yet, come the end of the loan window if the areas aren't addressed then we can worry in my opinion.

You need to take your head out of the sand, Downing has been on the decline for the last 3 season's and now you think he's the answer to our creativity problems. What were Howson's goals and assists last season? He's a bang average midfielder who just runs around a lot while contributing hardly anything.

We've got no pace in the team and hardly any creativity. I'm sure we'll be a threat from set pieces but you need a lot more than that to push for promotion.

Also important to note that we brought in a new head of recruitment operations this summer and somehow we’ve actually gotten worse at signing players

Not surprising. I said at the time that a PR guy was a very strange choice to be brought in as head of recruitment.

Also important to note that we brought in a new head of recruitment operations this summer and somehow we’ve actually gotten worse at signing players

But was he someone with a proven track record in football recruitment ?   NO  he's got the job based on "being involved with football for a fair while"   and of course being a local.  

We either put competent people in the correct positions, or fudge it with locals.  We choose the later on most occasions and wonder why we're naff.

Harsh - that’s not taking into account the 2 tea ladies and 3 physio’s we’ve signed and the kit man we’re signing on loan next week...

Not surprising. I said at the time that a PR guy was a very strange choice to be brought in as head of recruitment.

Ironic that the public relations guy is currently part of a bigger picture that has failed to show the club in a good public image. Bit of a *** show. Got 3 and a bit weeks to prove this loan window isn't meaningless now.

I'll tell you what the loan window is.....it's an excuse for people to use when we don't get in our 'targets'.

How many people said judge when the transfer window closes. Now it's judge when the loan window closes. Then there will be excuses and everyone who says the club have screwed it up or dare I say, used these infamous smoke and mirrors on their fans, will be considered bedwetters.

In my opinion, and I honestly don't mind if people disagree, this was always the plan. We did our business early. Flint and mcnair. That's it. We then wanted to get as much money in as possible for a striker and the two most saleable assets. Bank the money. Pay off the debt. Who knows. May be ensure we have a pot of money for the new manager?

Either way, I think plan A was a success for the club today.

This window including the loan window will be a failure if we don't fix the problematic areas.

The loan window is still open and until then I have no issue.

Hugill has replaced Bamford. Flint replaced Gibson. Debt I'm not 100% we have any, I could be wrong of course. I think it is a conspiracy this whole 'Plan', I don't doubt that we are steadying the ship but we will sort this with the loan window.

We were going to (at least start to) sort it with the real window. And let's face it, we haven't. Barring wing we have the lowest midfield since Robson, Thompson and flood. We have zero creativity from the left......or the right. Our full backs are mid table at best and we have zero back up for them. The players we have bought in are inferior to those we let go. I love all the optimism. I'm sick of the "we'll be fine" line that keeps dropping up.

Why can't our fans just face it, this window has been disastrous, and though I actually prefer to loan some players to take away the massive risks, I just don't see us fill in all the positions needed. I'm not even sure the positions we believe need addressing are considers to be problem areas within the club.

I don't believe we hugely need that creative central player because I feel Downing or Howson can adequately do the job. Braitwaite from the left or right is creative. Our full backs I believe are good enough, Shotton can be a liability at times but I really like him and as for Friend I rate him as one of the top LB's in the league still. I agree we have bought in inferior players but Adama was to good for us and so was Gibson, that's football.

I don't believe we can call this window a disaster just yet, come the end of the loan window if the areas aren't addressed then we can worry in my opinion.

You need to take your head out of the sand, Downing has been on the decline for the last 3 season's and now you think he's the answer to our creativity problems. What were Howson's goals and assists last season? He's a bang average midfielder who just runs around a lot while contributing hardly anything.

We've got no pace in the team and hardly any creativity. I'm sure we'll be a threat from set pieces but you need a lot more than that to push for promotion.

I agree he's been on the decline but he still has the best pass in our Football Club. Howson for sure didn't put in enough goals or assists but I believe that will improve this season.

Braithwaite has pace and also creativity, Wing also shown he has creativity. We will sign players that will solve these problems I'm sure of that. I'm very confident in that.

He’s not in charge of player recruitment it’s coaching staff, HR all that jazz

Well then this is wrong info the club has on their website then:

https://www.mfc.co.uk/adrian-bevington

Head of Recruitment Operations

Adrian joined the club in May 2018 as the managerial lead of the Recruitment department, working closely with the First Team management, Academy and CEO.

But was he someone with a proven track record in football recruitment ?   NO  he's got the job based on "being involved with football for a fair while"   and of course being a local.  

We either put competent people in the correct positions, or fudge it with locals.  We choose the later on most occasions and wonder why we're naff.

I’m still not convinced that he is head of player recruitment, I think his post is more of a Human Resources role.

Just think of all that money we have for loan fees and wage contributions. Perspective.

Just think about poor old me, now having to write a match thread that I waited to write to give me chance to include stuff on our deadline day transfer business. Dinosaurs.