oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

Our primary targets this summer were Bolasie and Ritchie who would cost 30m in fees and both on over 100k a week combined not sure being too tight with money's our problem, got to remember the day before deadline day Pulis wanted 6 signings through the door if different bids got accepted we'd have Bolasie on a loan to buy 15 million, Ritchie 15 million, Vokes 8 million, Freeman 5 million, Bryan 6 million, Besic 6 million, Martina loan I mean that's nearly 60 million in potential fees on just those targets without wages obviously we'd probably have sold Gestede as well if we get Vokes so total incomings with Braithwaite's assumed sale would be close to 60 million but imagine the ballooning of the wage bill I mean yeesh.

We have apparently had 6 different first choice targets this window depending on who you believe.

However, the club have contrived to land none of them. And yet we as fans are still expected to believe the club are being massively ambitious.

I'm of the opinion that the club wanted to get rid of all high earners and those we could get a good fee for (whether they actively wanted to move on or not).

TP has been clever in that if he fails he can say he never got his targets (and can put it down to finances, something he can't control) and if he succeeds he has done so while making the club a huge profit during this window (which I believe he has probably been tasked to do - the huge profit bit, and will have received a huge bonus for. doing so).

Contrived. !, sometimes you just can’t buy the ones you want All these buys are auctions effectively but with the added bonus of the player still saying no if he doesn’t want to come. Some seem to think it’s as easy as walking down to Tesco and buying a loaf of bread

Yes rich, contrived. I chose that word very carefully. The whole point of my post was that I don't think we were ever really in for some of these "targets", and therefore contrived is the perfect word.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Enes Mahmutovic has joined Yeovil Town on a season-long loan.

good for him. I really want him to succeed. Joins Pattison at Yeovil, who also helped Wing gain experience last year.

Awful recruitment's going from Thomas Meunier to an old 3 million pound Spaniard at fullback, thinking Daryl Murphy's the man to lead your line in the Premier League and paying a near club record fee for a Serie A midfielder who doesn't fit the system or style you have. Oh and lest we forget the only striker we need to sign is an on loan Negredo because something something Daryl Murphy? Chester, Rupp and Maguire as well plus more that I've memory holed.

That PL summer is legitimately the piece de resistance of how arrogant our recruitment was the long term thinking wasn't there we tried to moneyball it but moneyball works best when you spread the bets like Brentford we tried some weird moneyball stuff that ended with us having one of the weakest PL attacks I've ever seen no depth variety or invention. So yeah whatever this window is it can't be worse than that...

Assuming that was even the case seems a bit of a stretch but I'd guess at that being to make funds available to bring in players to balance the squad out. But the fact is we didn't push him out the door at the end of it, we received a bid we literally couldn't refuse so I'm forced to ask why I should believe we didn't really want him to stay?

You don't have to believe anything, makes no difference to me mate  :)

Assuming that was even the case seems a bit of a stretch but I'd guess at that being to make funds available to bring in players to balance the squad out. But the fact is we didn't push him out the door at the end of it, we received a bid we literally couldn't refuse so I'm forced to ask why I should believe we didn't really want him to stay?

Seems like your statement has absolutely no basis in fact. We offered Adama a new contract, we clearly didn't want to sell him.

I'm not expecting it to. But you're suggesting that the question is based on information I've never seen. We sold Traore because Wolves matched his release clause. I don't see anything to suggest otherwise. Your question seems a bit baseless to me, mate, unless you're aware of something I'm not.

Awful recruitment's going from Thomas Meunier to an old 3 million pound Spaniard at fullback, thinking Daryl Murphy's the man to lead your line in the Premier League and paying a near club record fee for a Serie A midfielder who doesn't fit the system or style you have. Oh and lest we forget the only striker we need to sign is an on loan Negredo because something something Daryl Murphy? Chester, Rupp and Maguire as well plus more that I've memory holed.

That PL summer is legitimately the piece de resistance of how arrogant our recruitment was the long term thinking wasn't there we tried to moneyball it but moneyball works best when you spread the bets like Brentford we tried some weird moneyball stuff that ended with us having one lf the weakest PL attacks I've ever seen no depth variety or invention. So yeah whatever this window is it can't be worse than that...

The funny thing is that last season we must have just about broke even in terms of transfers?  And a few of those players appear to be key players for us now rightly or wrongly - Randolph, Shotton, Howson, Braithwaite and Assombalonga.  Braithwaite is on his way out but those are the bulk of our signings from the 'disastrous' summer, a summer where this forum was full of people talking each of our signings up.  Fletcher and Johnson would be the two who so far have been a waste of space and Christie we've obviously sold on for a bit of a profit.  Last summer doesn't even get close to the *** up the summer before but I suppose it all helps with the narrative that Pulis is working miracles here or whatever.  It's a strange place this at times.

Seems like your statement has absolutely no basis in fact. We offered Adama a new contract, we clearly didn't want to sell him.

None of my statements have any basis in fact, I thought we'd already done this one  :)

I'm not expecting it to. But you're suggesting that the question is based on information I've never seen. We sold Traore because Wolves matched his release clause. I don't see anything to suggest otherwise. Your question seems a bit baseless to me, mate, unless you're aware of something I'm not.

It probably is baseless mate, I just come out with random questions for no apparent reason.

The funny thing is that last season we must have just about broke even in terms of transfers?  And a few of those players appear to be key players for us now rightly or wrongly - Randolph, Shotton, Howson, Braithwaite and Assombalonga.  Braithwaite is on his way out but those are the bulk of our signings from the 'disastrous' summer, a summer where this forum was full of people talking each of our signings up.  Fletcher and Johnson would be the two who so far have been a waste of space and Christie we've obviously sold on for a bit of a profit.  Last summer doesn't even get close to the *** up the summer before but I suppose it all helps with the narrative that Pulis is working miracles here or whatever.  It's a strange place this at times.

Last summer our recruitment was just... very messy, whoever greenlit Monk signing Fletcher when we already had 4 strikers and had no wingers since we'd cashed out on all the previous summers signings except Adama essentially that person shouldn't have a say around the club at all anymore for me. People forget Monk spent most of August chasing Ryan Kent and Sheyi Ojo on loan he was a strange guy to put in charge of rebuilding a relegated club we should have kept the reigns on him but we ended up panicking late on for a winger just like the August before with Adama except instead of an ex Barcelona youngster with raw potential we picked up League 1 Marvin. We went for good solid Championship players mixed in with Braithwaite and Fletcher wasn't a bad strategy it was more the execution but realistically since we got promoted vs Brighton we are well into the green on transfers there's no excuses for us not to go up now we have a better squad than we got promoted with.

You don't hire Tony Pulis on his kind of salary if you don't expect to spend money I don't buy the idea the club's cutting back I do buy the idea though that to get Bolasie was to replace Braithwaite which was proactive thinking but I don't buy we had no intention of spending Pulis wanted 6 in around deadline day I'm guessing he'll end up with 4 of them he'll be missing the Ritchie target if we take Puncheon as coming into the Bolasie spot I'm just saying for Boro to only be 1 first team position short at the end of a window... I've seen worse windows from us.