oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

So barring any late announcements, a quick review of the window -

Pros -

- competition for friend added

- centre midfield looks strong with a variety of different styles of play possible.

- addition of a very pulis centre back

- addition of a very pulis centre forward

Cons -

- no right winger in squad.

- only left winger in squad is 34 and isn't good at playing as a winger anymore.

- still only a centre back to play right back, no competition.

- lost the best centre back we've had at the club since Woodgate

- if we want to persist with 3cbs, one injury means a 16 year old is playing.

- lost the only player to hurt teams when we were struggling last season

- lost the only striker that had any creativity to a direct rival.

- looking like losing our best player from our good start to the season.

- no number ten

- only one option in terms of style to play.

That about sum it up?

C-

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What situation have we put ourselves in exactly? McQueen can play in multiple positions including as a winger, we have extra backup at CB and Saville can play where Braithwaite played.

I'd say we're fine for now. Strengthen in January if needs be, we have plenty of cash.

Since when can Saville play Braithwaites position? Weird signing.

Saville is an attacking midfielder, Braithwaite has been playing behind Britt, there's not a million miles between them.

I think that's stretching it a bit bud.  Braithwaite is essentially a striker who gets moved around a bit.  Saville is a midfielder who gets forwards and chips in with some goals.  I'd expect Braithwaite to get more goals than Saville all things being equal and I don't think you could ask them to play the same role in a side.

No, I know they aren't exactly the same, but nor were Tomlin and Vossen, and we swapped between the two of them playing behind the striker in the playoff season. Obviously the teams were setup slightly differently depending who was playing there, as they would be this season (I'd expect someone like Howson to be asked to play further forward if Saville was playing there), but I think he could play a variation of that No 10 role.

@GraemeBailey

Of all the deals that Middlesbrough have failed to do this summer - this one hurts more than most, a player who loves the club, loves the area and wanted to play for Tony Pulis - deal all but agreed, and still couldn't get done.

I mean, how couldn't we have got this done? The guy wanted to come, we've got the money. Serious questions need to be asked at this point.

What happens if he wanted a longer contract that we were prepared to offer? This would be his last big contract at his age. I wouldn't want him on a long-term deal.

I did say this would happen after the last window shut. The reason why loan windows are rarely very fruitful is because the terms of any deals very rarely favour the selling club so they may as well keep them in the squad.

@GraemeBailey

Of all the deals that Middlesbrough have failed to do this summer - this one hurts more than most, a player who loves the club, loves the area and wanted to play for Tony Pulis - deal all but agreed, and still couldn't get done.

I mean, how couldn't we have got this done? The guy wanted to come, we've got the money. Serious questions need to be asked at this point.

What happens if he wanted a longer contract that we were prepared to offer? This would be his last big contract at his age. I wouldn't want him on a long-term deal.

Again, at this point we really needed to get something done. Now we have a squad full of CMs and CBs

No, I know they aren't exactly the same, but nor were Tomlin and Vossen, and we swapped between the two of them playing behind the striker in the playoff season. Obviously the teams were setup slightly differently depending who was playing there, as they would be this season (I'd expect someone like Howson to be asked to play further forward if Saville was playing there), but I think he could play a variation of that No 10 role.

But those two players were far more similar.  Vossen was a striker who played off another striker and Tomlin was an attacking midfielder who did the same.  I wouldn't liken them to Braithwaite and Saville to be honest mate.  I get what you're saying I just think the differences between these two are quite a bit greater than Vossen and Tomlin.

Remember when we sold him to Villa he'd just been promoted with the promotion clause a lot of our players were on he could easily be on 35-40k since to get him from us they'd have had to incentivise him to drop down I get he's not an easy guy to take on if that's the case. My point is if we truly waited until nearly 5pm then fire everyone involved who didn't have the set of balls to call off the negotiations earlier giving us enough time to recontact Puncheon but we'll see...

@GraemeBailey

Again, at this point we really needed to get something done. Now we have a squad full of CMs and CBs

If the deal wasn't right then I'd rather they walked away than just signing someone for the sake of it. Can't say I'd have been that fussed about him returning.

I thought we couldn’t sign anyone who became out of contract during the loan window, how would that have worked?

I think you could as long as the contract was terminated before the deadline?

Yeah that's right.