oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

Gary Gill's really our European scout from Mogga's days who got a promotion last year I rate Gary Gill I think he identified some very good European players over the Karanka years whether it was Meunier/Rupp/De Roon/Kebano/Vossen/Lindelof he had a few duds like Fischer/De Sart but it's not like Gary Gill's some dinosaur holding us back he's put in place state of the art software used by maybe 60% of Prem clubs. From afar it seems his new role in the past year is not so much find us some European gems but research people the manager wants can I really blame Gary Gill for Gary Monk trying to sign Kent/Ojo and paying the money for Fletcher in my opinion they were all Monk's calls.

Interesting in Mitrovic's write up in the Mail today he said after his move fell through to Anderlecht we were his backup option and then he got a phone call from Jokanovic which changed his mind. It's not a mystery what the fault of our strategy is Bauser proudly owned it in the Karanka era it's the 'patience' of waiting for first choice targets over the course of weeks/months, we didn't get a winger because Pulis wanted Ritchie and Bolasie for the wings Bolasie didn't move until late in the loan window and Ritchie didn't move because Mike Ashley didn't want to fork out 15 million on a new untested winger we let other clubs/players dictate our transfer policy which is poor strategy it's cost us in almost every window but nothing's changed and it's not entirely clear the club see fault in doing business this way. If I want anyone gone it's Bauser I think he's the constant in a lot of the failed strategy but again to them it's not a failed strategy to them it's 'patiently waiting for primary targets' the problem in recent years is too often those primary targets we spend weeks waiting on go elsewhere and we end up with a Marvin Johnson or a Guedioura.

This is similar to the 2016 summer situation to me we leave ourselves clearly short in one area through missing out on primary targets which were strikers back then and then in the following January we overpaid for Rudy Gestede and bought Bamford who'd barely kicked a ball in a year to save us from relegation so again I'm really not sure it's because we're too tight with money when we panicked in that January window we must have blew nearly 20m million if we throw in Guedioura I don't want a repeat of that in January but how about we try our European scouting system out that's where we'll get the talent at a reasonable price going domestic is killing us with the competition we're up against constantly.

Having said all of that the signing's we've made have strengthened the squad massively for me we complain about wingers but other teams fans will point to our ridiculous midfield options, our massive defensive unit and our 30 million pound strikeforce and say give over...

Strangely, Gary Gill is listed as head of UK recruitment on the Boro website, I don’t think we have a European re ruinmente dept. Anymore.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The window closed without us signing Robson Kanu or selling Martin Braithwaite.

That’s a better end to the window than I expected. ;)

Wise words Billy.

I'm not sure, but I THINK the Robson-Kanu rumour was 'leaked' by our recruitment team, to try and trick Villa in to signing him. That would have been glorious! (Clearly HRK is a TOTAL donkey. I can't think why else we were 'linked' with him)!!

Gary Gill's really our European scout from Mogga's days who got a promotion last year I rate Gary Gill I think he identified some very good European players over the Karanka years whether it was Meunier/Rupp/De Roon/Kebano/Vossen/Lindelof he had a few duds like Fischer/De Sart but it's not like Gary Gill's some dinosaur holding us back he's put in place state of the art software used by maybe 60% of Prem clubs. From afar it seems his new role in the past year is not so much find us some European gems but research people the manager wants can I really blame Gary Gill for Gary Monk trying to sign Kent/Ojo and paying the money for Fletcher in my opinion they were all Monk's calls.

Interesting in Mitrovic's write up in the Mail today he said after his move fell through to Anderlecht we were his backup option and then he got a phone call from Jokanovic which changed his mind. It's not a mystery what the fault of our strategy is Bauser proudly owned it in the Karanka era it's the 'patience' of waiting for first choice targets over the course of weeks/months, we didn't get a winger because Pulis wanted Ritchie and Bolasie for the wings Bolasie didn't move until late in the loan window and Ritchie didn't move because Mike Ashley didn't want to fork out 15 million on a new untested winger we let other clubs/players dictate our transfer policy which is poor strategy it's cost us in almost every window but nothing's changed and it's not entirely clear the club see fault in doing business this way. If I want anyone gone it's Bauser I think he's the constant in a lot of the failed strategy but again to them it's not a failed strategy to them it's 'patiently waiting for primary targets' the problem in recent years is too often those primary targets we spend weeks waiting on go elsewhere and we end up with a Marvin Johnson or a Guedioura.

This is similar to the 2016 summer situation to me we leave ourselves clearly short in one area through missing out on primary targets which were strikers back then and then in the following January we overpaid for Rudy Gestede and bought Bamford who'd barely kicked a ball in a year to save us from relegation so again I'm really not sure it's because we're too tight with money when we panicked in that January window we must have blew nearly 20m million if we throw in Guedioura I don't want a repeat of that in January but how about we try our European scouting system out that's where we'll get the talent at a reasonable price going domestic is killing us with the competition we're up against constantly.

Having said all of that the signing's we've made have strengthened the squad massively for me we complain about wingers but other teams fans will point to our ridiculous midfield options, our massive defensive unit and our 30 million pound strikeforce and say give over...

The problem is the alternative to the patient strategy is if you can’t get who you want quickly forget them and go for second or third choices. I’m not sure if that’s good either

We seem to look at villa and think they robbed us and had a much better window. But villa fans think the same way about them not getting a keeper and a CB as we do about not getting a winger

TBF, they only actually took Bolasie from within our grasp at the end of the window. And even then, it wasn't that they stole in when we went in, they were always as willing as we were as soon as they decided they didn't have financial problems any more.

Personally I don't really care about Villa. I'm bothered about the players we did and didn't get. For whatever reasons we were unable to get probably half the positions sorted that we wanted sorting and ended up bringing in players to play other positions as a kind of second best solution. Talk up the difficulties of signing players all you like but we signed a number of players this summer so we clearly didn't find it impossible. The issue is that the players we did sign were in positions we arguably didn't need them not so much that we've signed poor players - I don't think anyone is complaining about us signing Besic for example but they a little confused as to why we've signed three new midfielders, which seems fair enough.

Besic has made his way into the starting XI albeit in place of Braithwaite and Flint is already in there as well. We'll see how things go with the others as they either get their opportunities or don't. Then we'll have an idea of how good or bad the window has been.

I did ask this earlier but didn't get an answer - have we actually signed more players than we've let go this summer in the end?

[strangely, Gary Gill is listed as head of UK recruitment on the Boro website, I don’t think we have a European re ruinmente dept. Anymore.

Well that's a shame I don't think he'll have much power scouting domestic players Pulis knows about anyway I think Gary Gill's targets under Karanka were usually reasonably priced gems even the ones we missed out on and De Roon was a quality player.

The problem is the alternative to the patient strategy is if you can’t get who you want quickly forget them and go for second or third choices. I’m not sure if that’s good either

I agree but we could be more proactive though while we're sat waiting for the no.1 our 3/4/5/6/7 targets are probably moving on it's a trade off we make every window with the benefit of hindsight and review you'd think adjustments would have been made since this policy was put in place I think it was the playoff final summer of 2015 we did this there was a conscious effort to shift policy from temporary loans to permanent transfers of no.1 targets we missed out on Rhodes in the summer so left ourselves a little short up front and waited until January not to mention the amount of times we chased McCormack to be that creator and goalthreat.

But yeah I agree there'd be a trade off but we seem really bad at reading situations earlier and where they're heading not just Adomah/Puncheon yesterday or holding out for Mitrovic on January deadline day on the off chance his Anderlecht move fell through. With us we always end up chasing these guys every window then because it's so late in the window half of our backup targets have moved on so we go with what we have until the next window ignoring the gap we saw the need to fill. It wasn't enough summer 2016 it almost backfired summer 2015 until we got that boost of Rhodes arriving in January I'm just saying this strategy hasn't exactly been a rousing success for us previously in my opinion but better or worse it's their strategy hopefully the guys we actually brought in are as good as I think they are and we'll be fine we've assembled a mighty impressive spine we could easily do a Burnley and grind this league down then add some pace in January in preparation for the Prem.

Personally I don't really care about Villa. I'm bothered about the players we did and didn't get. For whatever reasons we were unable to get probably half the positions sorted that we wanted sorting and ended up bringing in players to play other positions as a kind of second best solution. Talk up the difficulties of signing players all you like but we signed a number of players this summer so we clearly didn't find it impossible. The issue is that the players we did sign were in positions we arguably didn't need them not so much that we've signed poor players - I don't think anyone is complaining about us signing Besic for example but they a little confused as to why we've signed three new midfielders, which seems fair enough.

Besic has made his way into the starting XI albeit in place of Braithwaite and Flint is already in there as well. We'll see how things go with the others as they either get their opportunities or don't. Then we'll have an idea of how good or bad the window has been.

I did ask this earlier but didn't get an answer - have we actually signed more players than we've let go this summer in the end?

8 in, 8 out, although 4 of those who left were out on loan last season at other clubs.

You could also argue that we have 4 extra players, as last year, Tav, Chapman, Braithwaite and Wing were out on loan.

If anything, we have a larger squad this season.

8 in, 8 out, although 4 of those who left were out on loan last season at other clubs.

You could also argue that we have 4 extra players, as last year, Tav, Chapman, Braithwaite and Wing were out on loan.

If anything, we have a larger squad this season.

Yeah that's what I was thinking mate.

Without counting I’d say we’ve signed way more than we’ve got rid of

From memory;

Randolph, Dimi, Lonergan, Shotton, Friend, McQueen, Flint, Fry, Ayala, Batth, Clayton, Besic, Leadbitter, Saville, Howson, Wing, McNair, Braithwaite, Hugill, Britt, Gestede, Fletcher, that’s a senior squad of 22 unless I missed anyone.

Add Chapman and Tavernier it’s a squad of 24, not the 18 that Pulis favours.

He said 18 outfield players Billy so it's only one more than his preference

I missed out Downing, so that’s 25.

And nobody even noticed lol. I don't think Pulis counts the kids but maybe he realises that a bigger squad is needed in a 46 game championship