oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

He said 18 outfield players Billy so it's only one more than his preference

I missed out Downing, so that’s 25.

And nobody even noticed lol. I don't think Pulis counts the kids but maybe he realises that a bigger squad is needed in a 46 game championship

Yeah that’s why I had Chapman and Tav listed separately, I would include Wing, because he’s 23, hardly a youngster and Fry is part of the first team, so let’s call it a squad of 23 including 3 keepers, we have a bit of strength in depth, we invariably end up with a CB injury crisis at some point after Xmas and Clayton misses every 10th game through suspension, so we are covered as far as quantity goes.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mfc.png

Am I the only one that has a spreadsheet to keep track of the squad?

I hope Pulis or Gibbo have one at least.

26 players there. Obviously a few, such as Wood-Gordon, probably aren't considered to be in the first team squad, but he has a squad number so he's included for me.

He said 18 outfield players Billy so it's only one more than his preference

I missed out Downing, so that’s 25.

And nobody even noticed lol. I don't think Pulis counts the kids but maybe he realises that a bigger squad is needed in a 46 game championship

Yeah that’s why I had Chapman and Tav listed separately, I would include Wing, because he’s 23, hardly a youngster and Fry is part of the first team, so let’s call it a squad of 23 including 3 keepers, we have a bit of strength in depth, we invariably end up with a CB injury crisis at some point after Xmas and Clayton misses every 10th game through suspension, so we are covered as far as quantity goes.

Yes and it looks like there is a bit of quality to go with the quantity. A good season beckons

From memory;

Randolph, Dimi, Lonergan, Shotton, Friend, McQueen, Flint, Fry, Ayala, Batth, Clayton, Besic, Leadbitter, Saville, Howson, Wing, McNair, Braithwaite, Hugill, Britt, Gestede, Fletcher, that’s a senior squad of 22 unless I missed anyone.

Add Chapman and Tavernier it’s a squad of 24, not the 18 that Pulis favours.

Fry, Wing and Fletcher are all relatively inexperienced though, so I wouldn't count them in the senior squad players and would throw them in with Chapman and Tav

Pulis' words were something along the lines of "I like to have an 18-man squad and integrate some of the kids". I don't remember him saying 18 outfield players, I might be wrong though. Either way, I'm not sure he has what he supposedly wanted in terms of the size of his squad because the young lads are now surely nowhere near the first team.

It almost seems daft to say this but because we're playing 3 at the back, you could argue Wood is one of the closest of those to the first team right now. Tav and Wing are options for midfield where we now have Leadbitter, Clayton, Howson, McNair, Downing, Saville & Besic all fighting for one of 3 spots. Chapman's only hope right now is playing in that kind of front 2 which Britt and I guess Braithwaite will take up again.

The case of McNair is absolutely baffling. Like, I know people will say he's versatile and can play anywhere in defence and midfield but he came in supposedly being a goalscoring midfielder and he's done nothing of the sort yet. He hasn't even been given a chance to. I know CT mentioned it a while ago and I've mentioned it a couple of times since because I think he might have had a point... I don't think Pulis fancies him in midfield. Otherwise we wouldn't have brought in Besic and Saville, surely.

He knew it was a 46-50 game season when making his comments, I can't imagine that's changed his mind so much. The only thing that has really changed is this need to play 3 at the back in the aftermath of not signing a single winger.

Our squad numbers/depth is interesting to compare to last season. Take the 18 from yesterday that we took to Leeds figure out how you add in Saville and Batth first then you remember the pair of 7 million strikers that weren't involved at all that's 4 players to get into that 18 we have ridiculous depth in the squad we have the same strikeforce as we had in the playoff run except we added Hugill and still have Fletcher/Braithwaite no matter what TP says in public he has an embarrassment of riches there.

Villa's spine won't hold up through the slog they're already playing Jedinak at CB we're not even into October yet, bar maybe Stoke we have the deepest squad out there it's ridiculous how deep we go in most areas.

That's the beauty of the forum though Billy because we now know what is what and the total of what went on can be continued in new threads.

Time honoured tradition is that Transfer Window threads are closed usually 24 hours later giving time for members to view how they feel the summer activity actually went.

Besides a new winter one will eventually surface

Adomah not even on the bench for Villa today. Would be a shame for him if he's stuck in limbo now for the next 3 months.

I imagine like his brother says he'll fight for his place back in that team. I don't think he'll be sat waiting for an opportunity for very long when Bolasie breaks both his legs in his first game.

That's the beauty of the forum though Billy because we now know what is what and the total of what went on can be continued in new threads.

Time honoured tradition is that Transfer Window threads are closed usually 24 hours later giving time for members to view how they feel the summer activity actually went.

Besides a new winter one will eventually surface

KM will be fuming NB beat him to this one. I'm sure that winter one will be opened extra early this year.