oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

I'd keep Gibson. More likely to stay in the long run. Should we make it to the Prem, convinced he'd be more effective. I like having a local lad in the first team as captain too.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For both of their sake's they should both leave with no loans back. I'm not sure another season here helps either of them really. Gibson has had a really good season in the Premier League and he needs to repeat that. Traore needs to do what he has done at times this season at a higher level than this.

I'd probably lean towards Wilson's point of view. In the long run Gibson is the better bet as he is more likely to stick around and we 'know' he can do it in the Premier League. However, Traore kicking on again from where he has got to this season could be a hugely influential player next time around even though he's likely to leave at some point in the next year or two either way.

Right now my gut instincts are that neither will be here next season in any capacity.

Our wage bill is extremely inefficient at the moment so Pulis will obviously look at players who aren't worth their wage. If Braithwaite joins Bordeaux on a permanent deal, as expected, then that will help with that. I think Assombalonga will be for sale for the right price as he's a very expensive player who isn't suited to our style under Pulis. Downing will sure to be on wages far bigger than his influence on the pitch so I hope that he can be moved on as we're going to need a totally different kind of left winger next season. Leadbitter is similar too as I don't see how he will fit into our plans under Pulis so maybe he could be moved on too. If we can move out them four then I don't think we would miss them next season and I'm sure that Pulis will be able to use the funds far more efficiently to rebuild the squad.

Then there are the likes of Fabio, Johnson and Fletcher who will surely leave either on loan or permanent. Fletcher will probably be a loan as no club will be daft enough to pay the money and wages that we offered him last summer.

Traore and Gibson are going to be our two most saleable assets, but also the two who we would most like to keep so we're going to be disappointed regardless of selling them for a high fee. They're two of our youngest starting 11 players so if we sell them then we're going to have to try to target players of the similar sort of age range so that we don't become a squad of ageing players. Gibson leaving wouldn't be a huge concern as CB is generally an area where you can get away with selling a player for a big fee without a huge drop off in team performance. We will probably have plenty of time and money to adequately replace him too. Traore will be far harder to replace so him leaving will take away all of our creative threat in open play and our ability to win a huge number of corners. However, considering his inconsistency throughout his career, this window could be a good time to cash out on him once the prices start getting to a point where it's too much to turn down. I'd be surprised to see either of Gibson or Traore in a Boro shirt next season so if they do leave I will be disappointed but not surprised.

Pulis is a very experienced and successful manager so I think we're going to be in as good hands as possible for a much needed overhaul of the squad. I'd much rather give a wide remit to someone like him that someone like Monk. In January Pulis wasn't afraid to be ruthless with moving on the likes of Christie, Roberts, Braithwaite, Forshaw, Gueudiora and Fletcher so I think he will be similarly ruthless this window towards players who aren't in his plans. It's sure to be a busy window for us.

@p_mards

I actually think Pulis turned the corner on Britt. I watched the home game against Villa on tv.. at one point Britt flew across the pitch to dive in and put the ball out for a throw near their corner flag. The camera then pops on to Pulis who’s jumping up and down cheering him on. Britt went on to play the away game, when he probably shouldn’t have, and I think it was that hardworking attitude that did it for him.

I think all 3 main strikers will stay, the rest are donezo though.

It's difficult. I think he'll play with one up front and yet I think he'll want to bring in a striker himself. Fletcher is no doubt a goner, even if its just on loan. Britt is probably the most likely to leave out of the 3. Given that he's probably going to bring in a man who can play as a hit man for the others, I'd quite like the man to leave to be Rudy. Though do I see Britt wanting to stick around with Paddy behind another striker? Probably not.

I think the big deciding factor will be if we can get a fee adequate enough for Britt though. He may end up having to suck it up a bit until someone offers us good money for him. We know he's worth it on his game at this level but not many clubs in the Championship can or will put that kind of money on the table.

Yeah he seems to be working harder but he just isn't the targetman type of striker that is key in a Pulis team. He's forever going to be a bit of a square peg in a round hole, albeit a £15 million and £40,000 a week wages square peg so having him will be really inefficient. I just feel that Pulis will fancy his chances of spending that money far wiser on an targetman. Burnley and Watford were keen on him last Summer but we pipped them by basically offering too much money to Forest and him so maybe we might have to take a little bit of a hit on the price in order to move him on. He's a good poacher type striker but £15 million and £40,000 a week will scare off even Premier League clubs.

We seem to have a lot of question marks hanging over a lot of our old guard and big names heads so it's going to be interesting to see how Pulis rejigs the squad. This squad can easily be turned around into an automatic promotion chasing side though as there is enough quality and lots of scope to raise funds through departures.

Yeah he seems to be working harder but he just isn't the targetman type of striker that is key in a Pulis team. He's forever going to be a bit of a square peg in a round hole, albeit a £15 million and £40,000 a week wages square peg so having him will be really inefficient. I just feel that Pulis will fancy his chances of spending that money far wiser on an targetman. Burnley and Watford were keen on him last Summer but we pipped them by basically offering too much money to Forest and him so maybe we might have to take a little bit of a hit on the price in order to move him on. He's a good poacher type striker but £15 million and £40,000 a week will scare off even Premier League clubs.

We seem to have a lot of question marks hanging over a lot of our old guard and big names heads so it's going to be interesting to see how Pulis rejigs the squad. This squad can easily be turned around into an automatic promotion chasing side though as there is enough quality and lots of scope to raise funds through departures.

The only thing that will scare off Premier league teams is his ability, he's nowhere near good enough for that level.

Just looked at betting odds and saw that Huth to Middlesbrough is 6/4, is that just because he's an ex player who has also played under Pulis? He's barely played this season and is prone to injury but 33 isn't that old for a Championship CB (Terry 37) and he's a quality Centre back who's out of contract.

Assuming we lose Gibson I'd quite like to see Huth back, with Fry deputising, still not sure I'd be comfortable with Fry being first choice for the full 46 game season.

33 is nothing but his injury record is worrying though and going into the championship can’t help unless it’s to add some experience to the squad. But you don’t want to chop and change too often. Fry, Ayala, Huth and Shotton wouldn’t be the worst 4 CBs to have available providing we get a new RB too.

Thoughts on the transfer window... Hoping we make 3 or 4 quality additions to replace outgoing loanees instead of another major overhaul. Keep the 'old guard' who are not quite good enough to start in and around the squad for morale and experience. Personal priorities assuming we keep Traore and Gibson:

Out: Baker, Harrison, Cranie, Braithwaite, Fabio

In:

1. Left winger with pace and goals, money will have to be splashed here (Downing to bench, could be a useful player to bring on and help control a game)

2. Dominant ball carrying centre mid (Maybe Besic, maybe someone else)

3. Right back (Shotton to bench or centre half, as he can't pass)

4. Left back (George is poor too often, but should stay in the squad)

5. A young loanee from somewhere as cover on the wing. We would be royally screwed if one of our wingers got injured

If Traore goes then replacing him becomes no.1 priority. I think we can manage without losing Gibson with Shotton and Fry as replacements.

I get why people say we need a 'no.10' but pointless as Pulis won't play a no.10...

For me a LW is the number one priority, I'm quite taken to moving Downing inside to play in one of the more advanced CM spots ahead of Clayton.

My first choice for LW would be Josh Murphy from Norwich, I'm pretty sure they need to sell and the money we get from Braithwaite could be used to get him in, doubt his wages would be as high as what Braithwaites are aswell

Thoughts on the transfer window... Hoping we make 3 or 4 quality additions to replace outgoing loanees instead of another major overhaul. Keep the 'old guard' who are not quite good enough to start in and around the squad for morale and experience. Personal priorities assuming we keep Traore and Gibson:

In:

1. Left winger with pace and goals, money will have to be splashed here (Downing to bench, could be a useful player to bring on and help control a game)

4. Left back  (George is poor too often, but should stay in the squad)

5. A young loanee from somewhere as cover on the wing. We would be royally screwed if one of our wingers got injured

If Traore goes then replacing him becomes no.1 priority. I think we can manage without losing Gibson with Shotton and Fry as replacements.

I get why people say we need a 'no.10' but pointless as Pulis won't play a no.10...

Pretty much my thoughts on this window as well, after we get a left winger that can change a game locking down Besic or a similar style player and then even if he doesn't go for a number 10 we still need a creative CM. I think with 3 quality additions in those areas we can launch an assault on the league.

I wouldn't get in a loanee I'd just have Tavernier in and around the first team squad. If Fabio goes (which is looking likely) we will need a RB a LB for cover at the minimum, although I wouldn't be averse to Friend being our number 1 at the start of next season.

In:

4. Left back  (George is poor too often, but should stay in the squad)

Pretty much my thoughts on this window as well, after we get a left winger that can change a game locking down Besic or a similar style player and then even if he doesn't go for a number 10 we still need a creative CM. I think with 3 quality additions in those areas we can launch an assault on the league.

I wouldn't get in a loanee I'd just have Tavernier in and around the first team squad. If Fabio goes (which is looking likely) we will need a RB a LB for cover at the minimum, although I wouldn't be averse to Friend being our number 1 at the start of next season.

Good point, completely forgot about Tav!