oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

It's not really early days though is it? It's 2 weeks till the season starts and unless there's a major change, we could be looking at an attack of downing, gestede and an out of position bamford. That's not even good enough for top half never mind anything else!

That’s what got us into fifth last season .in fact it didn’t as gestede was out for ages

What got us into 5th? Injuries to people like Gestede, which forced Pulis to play Bamford in his best position, up front, where he scored the goals required to get us into the play-off places.  If Gestede had not got injured we would have finished well outside.  Probably.

If we appointed someone else instead of pulis bamford would of still been played out wide just like he as by he’s last 6 managers

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not really early days though is it? It's 2 weeks till the season starts and unless there's a major change, we could be looking at an attack of downing, gestede and an out of position bamford. That's not even good enough for top half never mind anything else!

That’s what got us into fifth last season .in fact it didn’t as gestede was out for ages

What got us into 5th? Injuries to people like Gestede, which forced Pulis to play Bamford in his best position, up front, where he scored the goals required to get us into the play-off places.  If Gestede had not got injured we would have finished well outside.  Probably.

If we appointed someone else instead of pulis bamford would of still been played out wide just like he as by he’s last 6 managers

Maybe they should try him up front then where he scores goals and that?

Everyone is playing the long game in the window though. People are reacting to the time-frame like we're falling behind rivals but to be honest, there's not been a great deal of significant movement across the entire division. 2 and a bit weeks until the opening game, big whoop. The 2 signings we did make were relatively early compared to most.

Just check out the transfers so far and see for yourself. Who has made the so called 'big moves' in this division so far? It's basically Stoke (Afobe, Etebo), West Brom (Johnstone, Bartley), Forest (Carvalho, Grabban) and us. Many more big moves leaving this division than entering it.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

Maybe they should try him up front then where he scores goals and that?

To have a little bit of sympathy for Pulis (and I really don't have all that much), he was given a hand of Bamford, Gestede, Braithwaite, Fletcher and Assombalonga and expected to work with that.

Assuming Gibson knew that Pulis wasn't going to change his spots at this point in his career, that would mean trying to play one up front and somehow fit at least 2 of those in there, given the investment.

We all know that Bamford is better up front, but how else, aside from playing 2 up top, which Pulis won't do, do you get him in the side without pushing him out wide?

Everyone is playing the long game in the window though.

We play it during the season as well  ;) 

lololololol  :( :disappointed: :disgusted: :@ :sick: :crying:

I expect that I'll use this picture a lot this season.

Looking-up.jpg

My main concern at this moment is that if George Friend cuts his hair, and we play a back four of friend fry flint mcnair kicking towards the north stand, so I can't see their shirt numbers, I will struggle to distinguish who is who when marking set pieces, and I have great vision. No more tall brown haired players please, we need an Abel Xavier or a Carlos Marinelli, players with some distinction.

To have a little bit of sympathy for Pulis (and I really don't have all that much), he was given a hand of Bamford, Gestede, Braithwaite, Fletcher and Assombalonga and expected to work with that.

Assuming Gibson knew that Pulis wasn't going to change his spots at this point in his career, that would mean trying to play one up front and somehow fit at least 2 of those in there, given the investment.

We all know that Bamford is better up front, but how else, aside from playing 2 up top, which Pulis won't do, do you get him in the side without pushing him out wide?

I know what you're saying but re-read that for a minute.  You say 'he was given a hand of...' as though that's a bad hand.   We can all have our own thoughts about individual players but at this level that's far from a bad hand to get.  Maybe managers should be prepared to change their methods to suit the players at their disposal if they know that those are the only players they will be able to work with?  The thing is, he did play Bamford up front after he was forced to and then Bamford scored goals.  So with Pulis as his manager, Bamford playing up front on his own scored goals therefore he can do it and Pulis must now know this.

We all do the 'Pulis type players' and 'not Pulis players' thing, I'm as guilty of it as anyone.  But are we just giving managers a free pass to underutilise the players they have?

Everyone is playing the long game in the window though. People are reacting to the time-frame like we're falling behind rivals but to be honest, there's not been a great deal of significant movement across the entire division. 2 and a bit weeks until the opening game, big whoop. The 2 signings we did make were relatively early compared to most.

Just check out the transfers so far and see for yourself. Who has made the so called 'big moves' in this division so far? It's basically Stoke (Afobe, Etebo), West Brom (Johnstone, Bartley), Forest (Carvalho, Grabban) and us. Many more big moves leaving this division than entering it.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/transfers/wettbewerb/GB2

You are right mind and as someone said earlier, the World Cup has probably delayed everything as well.  Actually seems a bit dumb to be changing things this summer.

I know what you're saying but re-read that for a minute.  You say 'he was given a hand of...' as though that's a bad hand.   We can all have our own thoughts about individual players but at this level that's far from a bad hand to get.  Maybe managers should be prepared to change their methods to suit the players at their disposal if they know that those are the only players they will be able to work with?  The thing is, he did play Bamford up front after he was forced to and then Bamford scored goals.  So with Pulis as his manager, Bamford playing up front on his own scored goals therefore he can do it and Pulis must now know this.

We all do the 'Pulis type players' and 'not Pulis players' thing, I'm as guilty of it as anyone.  But are we just giving managers a free pass to underutilise the players they have?

Yeah true. I suppose the point I'm making is that once Bamford came inside as a striker, Pulis never used him out on the wing again, if I recall rightly (I am talking about competetive games only). Obviously if the season starts and Bamford is back out wide, my sympathy runs out pretty quickly.

If I was being completely objective, and trying to look at last season as an outside observer, rather than a Boro fan, Pulis got us into the playoffs, where we weren't under Monk (and I know that isn't the herculean effort that some have made it out to be), and got better performances and goal returns out of Bamford, Adama and Gestede than Monk did. Assombalonga suffered, but even he picked up a few goals when he did play.

I don't think Pulis has his attacking players hitting their potential, far from it, but I also think it might be a tad harsh to say that he underutilised the players he had.

Just a tad, mind.