oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

If we had a more defensive 3 in the centre, (say Besic, McNair and Clayton) do you think Pulis would allow the left winger to stay higher up the pitch and forfeit some of their defensive duties i.e. enabling Braithwaite to potentially play that role?

Obvious answer is no because it’s Pulis but you would surely hope that if he was playing those 3 in the centre of midfield then he would allow the front 3 to stay a little higher up the field.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know it's been said a zillion times but this 18m clause still sounds *** to me.

I just refuse to believe there wouldn't have been a dozen clubs already talking with him if 18m was the fee. It's peanuts for a premiership club for a player with such unique talents.

Also didn't that gazette say it's an old clause that's expired or something? We seemed to have a lot more interest in him last summer but teams were put off by the price. I'm wondering if that was to do with the clause then. I'm sure someone posted on here we want £30m for him which we couldn't demand if this clause was true.

Personally, I don't think the Gazette get any tips anymore. That's why I believe the Echo story, they seem to be ones getting the bits to feed out these days.

"That sum is reported to be around the £18m mark, although it is believed it can vary depending on different factors such as the club involved."

This is pretty much why more teams haven't jumped on the clause.

Not really because monk used to do that and we got ripped apart at full back time and time again, you could send one of the 3 midfielders across but then your stretching the midfield when you want it more compact.

Not really because monk used to do that and we got ripped apart at full back time and time again, you could send one of the 3 midfielders across but then your stretching the midfield when you want it more compact.

The fullbacks were often caught out of position under Monk as well which didn't help the situation.

I know it's been said a zillion times but this 18m clause still sounds *** to me.

I just refuse to believe there wouldn't have been a dozen clubs already talking with him if 18m was the fee. It's peanuts for a premiership club for a player with such unique talents.

Also didn't that gazette say it's an old clause that's expired or something? We seemed to have a lot more interest in him last summer but teams were put off by the price. I'm wondering if that was to do with the clause then. I'm sure someone posted on here we want £30m for him which we couldn't demand if this clause was true.

Personally, I don't think the Gazette get any tips anymore. That's why I believe the Echo story, they seem to be ones getting the bits to feed out these days.

"That sum is reported to be around the £18m mark, although it is believed it can vary depending on different factors such as the club involved."

The gazette will still get tips just not from 'club chiefs' anymore. They will still have a vast network of contacts including other journalists, explayers, agents etc.

I don't think people realise how openly accessible info is once your 'inside' the bubble, all kinds of people know who wants who, how much he's gone for and how much they're getting etc. A lot of it comes from agents who want the info out there as publically possible as it's them who benefit just as much as the player from a move.

How can you have a release clause dependant on the club involved

Just going by Football Manager but you can put in release clauses that are only triggered when a Champions League club offer the set amount or other ones which are only triggered when it’s a Premier League club, etc.

Clubs qualified for CL, Euro League, overseas clubs. Could easily be that the release clause is only for CL clubs and that English clubs have to pay a higher fee.

I'm pretty sure if you really wanted you could have a clause in a contract that could say pretty much anything you wanted..

A team in the Prem

A team in London

A team that is in a region guaranteed 6 days sunshine a week

Anyone but Newcastle

The one thing I’ve learned in the last couple of weeks is that players love a gossip so a fair bit of stuff probably comes from them. Likely transfers, fees, signing on fees, wages all seem to be shared quite freely. Which I guess is where most gossip comes from.

I'm pretty sure if you really wanted you could have a clause in a contract that could say pretty much anything you wanted..

A team in the Prem

A team in London

Anyone but Newcastle

Yeah.  As long as both parties agree to it then you can put all sorts into contracts.

A team in the Prem

A team in London

Anyone but Newcastle

Yeah.  As long as both parties agree to it then you can put all sorts into contracts.

I realise you can put anything you want in a contract. And if you think you’d be happy with 18 million put it into the contract..but. It seems pointless to limit it by team. Ie champions league teams can have you for 18 mill anyone else ie those with less money have to spend more .

Or we will only sell for 18 mill to teams in the premier league we’ll why would he go to a championship side

I think you've possibly got the idea the wrong way round Rich. 18 mill will possibly be the clause for teams without European football whilst more needed for those with it. Because said player might be more keen to move to a bigger team but still want the option to moving one lower down the footballing spectrum. 18 mill would be a significant investment for a team without European football but there may not be a clause for those with it, giving us negotiating room with the top tier clubs (or it might exist and just add an extra £7m to his price tag). And for us, we might be more capable of convincing him to stay if only teams potentially fighting relegation are willing to buy him.

It's difficult to say for sure without knowing the exact nature of this clause, should it even exist still.

A team in the Prem

A team in London

Anyone but Newcastle

I realise you can put anything you want in a contract. And if you think you’d be happy with 18 million put it into the contract..but. It seems pointless to limit it by team. Ie champions league teams can have you for 18 mill anyone else ie those with less money have to spend more .

Or we will only sell for 18 mill to teams in the premier league we’ll why would he go to a championship side

The idea is that we wouldn’t want to sell to just any PL club, especially as, at the time he signed we were in the PL so wouldn’t have wanted to sell to a rival club. However, Traore probably wanted a clause in his contract such that if a Chanpions League club came in for him, we couldn’t keep him against his will if the CL club were willing to meet the clause valuation.