• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've heard a few names mentioned like Morrison, Huth, Adomah, Hutton, Collins etc. They're all good players but signing players who are over 30 to big contracts could be risky if it doesn't work out.

I can’t see Gibson allowing pulis or any manager to sign or have loads of players over 30 and on big contracts. Gibson stopped the club going down that route under Southgate so can’t see him changing back.

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole 'Over 30s' thing. They're all probably on the same shortlist that Pulis has to inject some experience into the team; most likely in the spine of the system. I'd expect two 'veteran' signings from the names mentioned; most likely a CB and a CM. Collins and Morrison the most likely.

Collins is still a fantastic defender who West Ham fans were very fond of and still did a good job at the top level. Morrison is, if fit - as explained previously, a talent we could certainly utilise.

We don't need experience injecting into the team though. Am I as usual getting this completely wrong? When I look at this squad the last thing I'm thinking is that what we are really lacking is some experience.

Experience isn't really top of my list either, plus we've already got Ayala, Randolph, shotton, Clayton, downing, friend, gestede, Howson which is more than enough experienced players.

We don't need experience injecting into the team though. Am I as usual getting this completely wrong? When I look at this squad the last thing I'm thinking is that what we are really lacking is some experience.

It depends what experience you're talking about really. Players like Morrison and Collins are the types who're likely to turn up to big games like the Play Off Semi against Villa, whereas players like Gibson, Besic, Howson etc (who're all experienced, true) - just didn't really. I'd call them "when the going gets tough" experienced players, which are the kind (I think) we missed last season.

There's an argument that neither Wolves or Fulham had those in their sides... Which is true. But Pulis isn't a Santo or Jokanovic type manager or recruiter, so those comparisons would be pipe dreams. Pulis has always had a spine / solid foundation of veteran, vastly experienced players - which I'm not adverse to having 1/2 of... Quality depending.

Experience isn't really top of my list either, plus we've already got Ayala, Randolph, shotton, Clayton, downing, friend, gestede, Howson which is more than enough experienced players.

To clarify, it wouldn't be top of mine either. But we're not the ones doing the recruitment work...

I think we just need 4 or 5 good players injecting into the team.

I've heard a few names mentioned like Morrison, Huth, Adomah, Hutton, Collins etc. They're all good players but signing players who are over 30 to big contracts could be risky if it doesn't work out.

I can’t see Gibson allowing pulis or any manager to sign or have loads of players over 30 and on big contracts. Gibson stopped the club going down that route under Southgate so can’t see him changing back.

Me neither, I think it's more likely we sign a couple of experienced players and a couple of younger players to provide the 'energy' in the team.

It depends what experience you're talking about really. Players like Morrison and Collins are the types who're likely to turn up to big games like the Play Off Semi against Villa, whereas players like Gibson, Besic, Howson etc (who're all experienced, true) - just didn't really. I'd call them "when the going gets tough" experienced players, which are the kind (I think) we missed last season.

There's an argument that neither Wolves or Fulham had those in their sides... Which is true. But Pulis isn't a Santo or Jokanovic type manager or recruiter, so those comparisons would be pipe dreams. Pulis has always had a spine / solid foundation of veteran, vastly experienced players - which I'm not adverse to having 1/2 of... Quality depending.

What did Gibson do wrong in the play offs?   There's no reason at all to suggest that Morrison and Collins being in our side would have made the slightest bit of difference.  We conceded a goal from a set piece early in the first leg and that was it.  Our players not showing up is because we have a manager who is completely risk averse.  Even when we had to try risking something to get back into the game in the second leg we didn't do it.  We set up to get a draw in a game we had to win and the sort of players we're talking about here aren't going to make the slightest bit of difference if that attitude remains the same.

I think you're right that there's a reasonable chance we'll make some of these types of signings but it's all short term thinking and I can only assume that if it does happen it's being fuelled by a certain amount of desperation.