•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought it was "Van" !!!!!!

Now there is a class act.

Well he is Irish so NB4 wouldn't mind him here  :)

As was Clinton Morrison's granny, wouldn't mind her providing the energy in the centre of midfield

It depends what experience you're talking about really. Players like Morrison and Collins are the types who're likely to turn up to big games like the Play Off Semi against Villa, whereas players like Gibson, Besic, Howson etc (who're all experienced, true) - just didn't really. I'd call them "when the going gets tough" experienced players, which are the kind (I think) we missed last season.

There's an argument that neither Wolves or Fulham had those in their sides... Which is true. But Pulis isn't a Santo or Jokanovic type manager or recruiter, so those comparisons would be pipe dreams. Pulis has always had a spine / solid foundation of veteran, vastly experienced players - which I'm not adverse to having 1/2 of... Quality depending.

What did Gibson do wrong in the play offs?   There's no reason at all to suggest that Morrison and Collins being in our side would have made the slightest bit of difference.  We conceded a goal from a set piece early in the first leg and that was it.  Our players not showing up is because we have a manager who is completely risk averse.  Even when we had to try risking something to get back into the game in the second leg we didn't do it.  We set up to get a draw in a game we had to win and the sort of players we're talking about here aren't going to make the slightest bit of difference if that attitude remains the same.

I think you're right that there's a reasonable chance we'll make some of these types of signings but it's all short term thinking and I can only assume that if it does happen it's being fuelled by a certain amount of desperation.

That second paragraph, and pretty much all of the post, I agree with to be honest mate. Short terism is what I expect from Pulis - even more so when there's only 12 months left on his contract.

On he first part, I think players like Collins can help change the mindset of a side - particularly the backline - before the whistle is even blown for kick off. In terms of focus, concentration, keeping shape early on - all things Pulis has always based his defensive lines on.

You're right - it mightn't have made a difference. But with the magic of hindsight at least, I'd say a player of Collins experience and mindset would've at least made it less likely we conceded that early Free Kick (opinion, of course).

The mentality of those sort of players in a dressing room can make a difference. Off the pitch mainly, but in ways which do influence on the pitch matters. As I say, they'd perhaps not be my first choice - but considering how I expect us to play and the kind of player I expect us to target under Pulis? We could do far worse than Collins and Morrison in that instance.

Are there none of our home grown academy players who are likely to be making a breakthrough next season. All this talk of other teams released old guard I find depressing frankly

Fry will have a chance, not sure who else we have. Maybe tavernier, chapman or soisalo but none of them have really done anything stand out this season.

They may not have done anything stand out but let's be honest I think most of us would much prefer to see some of the academy filling the bench than the likes of Leadbitter/Cranie and Johnson...

Don't really see how they can be any worse than those options. Sometimes you just get a bit of a hidden gem with youth players, not necessarily the ones that have stood out tons in the academy teams but just take to league football/the big occasion like a duck to water.

Mahmutovic was highly thought of before his injury. He'd be potentially a 5th choice CB.

Cooke, Pattison and Wing are all solid options in the centre of the park.

Tavernier I'd have as the main competition at LW.

Soisalo can provide cover/competition on the RW - likely 3rd choice though.

Chapman - probably needs another season out on loan. Blackburn are supposedly interested and could offer Championship experience.

Miller I'd be happy being our 4th choice striker.

We don't need experience injecting into the team though.  Am I as usual getting this completely wrong?  When I look at this squad the last thing I'm thinking is that what we are really lacking is some experience.

I think we just need 4 or 5 good players injecting into the team.

Yeah this. I don't think lack of experience is our issue, we've got plenty of experience in the squad. Just need to replace the areas where we are lacking with better, more effective players. 

That being said, I'd be happy with both Collins and Morrison.. presuming Gibson gets sold. I'd be happy with a Collins/Ayala partnership, and Morrison is a better player than anyone we have in our midfield in my opinion.

I just think we need an overhaul of the midfield in general, and presuming Traore goes, two new pacy wingers that are going to actually create chances and threaten. I'm happy with Assombalonga, Bamford and Gestede so wouldn't be interested in signing a new CF, just need to create more chances and better supply to them.

We don't need experience injecting into the team though.  Am I as usual getting this completely wrong?  When I look at this squad the last thing I'm thinking is that what we are really lacking is some experience.

I think we just need 4 or 5 good players injecting into the team.

Yeah this. I don't think lack of experience is our issue, we've got plenty of experience in the squad. Just need to replace the areas where we are lacking with better, more effective players. 

That being said, I'd be happy with both Collins and Morrison.. presuming Gibson gets sold. I'd be happy with a Collins/Ayala partnership, and Morrison is a better player than anyone we have in our midfield in my opinion.

I just think we need an overhaul of the midfield in general, and presuming Traore goes, two new pacy wingers that are going to actually create chances and threaten. I'm happy with Assombalonga, Bamford and Gestede so wouldn't be interested in signing a new CF, just need to create more chances and better supply to them.

Agree with all three of you. Wouldn’t mind Collins. Terry was a massive player for Villa this season and if we can’t get anything really good, like Bjelland for example I’d be content with Collins to marshal our defense and teach Fry a thing or two. Morrison I don’t really want. Think he will be too expensive and not enough impact. Downing and Morrison in the same team :(

An Ayala/Collins partnership would be torn apart by a few quick opposition attacking players. Granted most teams in this league play long ball football (especially with Fulham and Wolves now gone) but surely we need someone a little more mobile alongside Ayala.

I wouldn't exactly call Gibson 'mobile' and yet that was the partnership that took us up. Granted Collins is certainly not as mobile as Gibson but I don't think we had a particularly mobile centre-back partnership when we went up, the energy was mainly in the full-backs and midfield.

Villa very nearly got promoted with a CB pairing of Terry and Chester. Cardiff did get promoted with a pairing of Bamba and Morrison. 

I wouldn't fancy any of that lot in a footrace with Stewart Downing, let alone someone like Traore, yet they got further than we did. Pacy CBs are not a necessity in this division.