oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

Leeds could be this seasons 'wolves' if all their plans come off, I'll be gutted if they get bielsa

Like I said in the other thread, it could be the absolute opposite based on Bielsa's last 2 roles, there's a reason Leeds are the only club seemingly interested in him.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Villa very nearly got promoted with a CB pairing of Terry and Chester. Cardiff did get promoted with a pairing of Bamba and Morrison. 

I wouldn't fancy any of that lot in a footrace with Stewart Downing, let alone someone like Traore, yet they got further than we did. Pacy CBs are not a necessity in this division.

Not sure of the relevance of Chester and Terry to your argument. As far as Championship centre backs go, Chester is one of the most mobile in the division and he covered Terry A LOT this season. Chester is certainly a lot more mobile than Ayala and Collins! I’ll give you Cardiff’s pairing although I’d argue that both Bamba and Morrison are still more fleet footed than Ayala or Collins.

I’m not saying it’s a necessity to have quick centre backs, I just think it would be a major risk starting with 2 centre backs as slow as Collins and Ayala.

Would anyone take Tom Huddleston? I'm not a fan of how he seems to just saunter around the pitch but on the other hand the way he sprays the ball around is quality.

Would anyone take Tom Huddleston? I'm not a fan of how he seems to just saunter around the pitch but on the other hand the way he sprays the ball around is quality.

I don’t think he offers what we need at the moment. We need drive, power, creativity, ball carrying ability through the centre. Huddlestone is a great passer of the ball, but most of it is done in front of the opposition. We have enough midfielders that do that, maybe not as well as Huddlestone does, but we need something different in there!

I get what your saying but I think half our problem is we don't pick the forward players our quickly or accurately enough to allow them to drive forward in a bit of space. I'd love a player like shelvey or Charlie adam who are great passers and can pick out runs the forward players are making and have a bit of vision about them.

That's why I said Huddlestone, as I said the only thing I don't like about him are his energy levels, he'd have to play alongside a besic type all action player rather than be the actual DM himself. And I disagree that he doesn't offer creativity.

As I said, I agree that he is better than what we have in that position but it would be him, a Besic type player and a more attacking midfield type player. Huddlestone would be taking Clayton’s position which, for me, is the least urgent of the midfield positions that we need replaced. If we got the other 2 central midfield positions sorted then perhaps but for now, I’d rather us concentrate on a different type of midfielder.

Huddlestone has no assists over the last 2 seasons. I know creativity is not determined by assists and there is a lot more to it but I’m not convinced how much he will add to our teams creativity.

I'm completely convinced he would add to our creativity, even if it was only the odd game he's an infinitely better passer of the ball than Clayton. But like you say, he would take Clayton's place in the team and even under Pulis, his role in the team was important. I'd rather keep that midfield steel in there and entrust the other 1 or 2 centre mids to the creativity.

I'd take Huddlestone in a heartbeat. Always been a big fan. Think he gets underestimated as he's not the quickest, but his ability to read a game and get himself into the right position to snub out passes / close off areas is excellent. Plus his range of passing is arguably one of the best of any English holding mid currently in the game.

Huddleston as an Anchoring DM with Howson and a Besic-Esque player ahead of him would be a midfield three to be reckoned with at this level.

Am I the only one who is completely confused about what Howson adds to our team? Some games I don’t even realise until about 60/70 minutes in, that he’s even on the pitch. In my opinion, he adds absolutely nothing, just another midfielder that’s too comfortable to play everything sideways. He and Downing were the main reasons for our complete lack of creativity last season, in my opinion. I really hope we start next season with neither of those two in the starting line up.

Am I the only one who is completely confused about what Howson adds to our team? Some games I don’t even realise until about 60/70 minutes in, that he’s even on the pitch. In my opinion, he adds absolutely nothing, just another midfielder that’s too comfortable to play everything sideways. He and Downing were the main reasons for our complete lack of creativity last season, in my opinion. I really hope we start next season with neither of those two in the starting line up.

I think he as well as pretty much all of last years signings had a tough year trying first to bed into a team under Monk with no discernible shape, then the more rigid style of Pulis. I dont think he improved in any way as the season went on and I agree that I don’t see what he brings to the table as it stands. Much will depend on what formation we play next season but if we go 442 I would not be too unhappy if we had a completely new midfield. I dont see how Howson would fit into a midfield 4. He doesn’t seem to have an eye for a telling forward pass and is not physical enough to break down play, those being the two most important part of the 2 central midfielders.

Yeah I agree with you, he runs about a lot without actually getting involved in the game half the time.

Callum O'Dowda had an excellent game for Ireland tonight. Lots of bursts forward from midfield. He's an exciting player. Would anyone like to see him at the Boro next season?

A very inconsistent season which he put down mostly to Monk. Expecting a much better season this coming year.