oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

Wow. Posted the Waghorn bid of 5m accepted, come back on and this place and Twitter are in termoil. Waghorn heading to Derby for a medical and Traoré going within the next 24hours. It really isn’t looking good and I’m starting to fear the repercussions, Pulis left Palace for the exact same reason and I’d have to agree with MikeyBoro about the high chance of it. We’ve now literally got four days to potentially determine the next few years of the club.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Graeme Bailey

Verified account

@GraemeBailey

13m13 minutes ago

More Graeme Bailey Retweeted TEAMtalk

?This one should be put to bed in next 48 hours...Graeme Bailey added,

TEAMtalk

@TEAMtalk

? EXCLUSIVE ?

Middlesbrough’s Adama Traore will join Wolves before the transfer deadline but it will cost them more than his £18m release clause.

Wow. Posted the Waghorn bid of 5m accepted, come back on and this place and Twitter are in termoil. Waghorn heading to Derby for a medical and Traoré going within the next 24hours. It really isn’t looking good and I’m starting to fear the repercussions, Pulis left Palace for the exact same reason and I’d have to agree with MikeyBoro about the high chance of it. We’ve now literally got four days to potentially determine the next few years of the club.

Dread to think what our team could look like on Saturday, against monk as well

Personally, I've really hit the point where I think I'd rather we just cashed the money from Bamford, Gibson and Traore and waited it out a year (or at least until January).

We all know by now that our transfer/scouting department is SHOCKING. We over-pay on players, negotiate poor contracts, and don't get much when we sell. Rarely do we improve on positions that need improving, and certainly not with genuine quality.

We're in a weird transitional period where our manager is clearly not here for the long-haul, we've not built any sort of philosophy or identity, and our current squad is frankly not fit for purpose. We're MILES off the Premier League.

The ONE shining light right now is we've got a really decent set of youngsters coming through. Tavernier, Chapman, Wing, Wood, Fry, and possibly others, could all form the basis of a team for the next 3-4 years. We should not be bothering panic-buying some over-aged Championship plodders to desperately fill a gap in the squad. Play the kids. Wait it out. Try to actually build a team instead of changing it every year when it doesn't go right.

Can you tell I've got some frustrations with how this club's run at the moment?

That second part about transfer negotiations just isn’t true at all. Fair enough we obviously overpaid for Fletcher and a bit for Britt but what other players are you on about? And I actually think we have done well in recent years when selling players.

I think there's a very decent argument to be made that every single player we bought during our promotion year ended up being a poor deal (seeing as I believe none are here anymore 2 years on), and last year our business was truly woeful. If you ask me, 5m for a McNair who we knew was injury prone (and has already missed the start of the season) is poor business.

Some of the prices we're being quoted for Waghorn, Ritchie, Ojo are really eye-watering for what we would be getting. Yet you've got Leeds signing the best LB in the league for 3m. Derby have signed Marriott, the top scorer in English football last year, for 5m. Why weren't we all over deals like that?

Well we can’t really control what other teams are asking can we? We waited them out and had a 5 million bud accepted for Waghorn instead of 8 million. And would really have been happy buying a league 1 striker for 5 million with our current set of strikers? Yeah Douglas is a weird one but he is supposedly poor defensively which is also why Wolves have let him go cheaply. He is extremely attacking and takes set pieces which is why he has so many assists.

I do agree that we could do a lot better with our scouting. That leaves a lot to be desired, but I don’t think you can blame the people doing the negotiations and contracts.

Honestly, I'd just like to see us have some kind of plan, philosophy, identity. Take Peterborough, for example. They pick up predominantly English players who drop out of higher league academies for cheap prices, or frees, and then build them up over a season or two to make a profit. They might not be the most successful team in the world, sure, but they've got a plan. They're well-run and the guy in charge knows what he is doing.

With us, I just feel like we always go from one extreme to the other. Under Mowbray it was purse-tightening, mostly freebies from the bargain bin. Then we bankrolled Karanka's Spanish revolution and signed a huge amount of foreign players over the 3 years he was here. Then, as soon as he went, we got rid of almost all of them, and the staff, and decided to go down the "Championship experience route". Now THAT hasn't worked, we're seemingly down to just getting whoever we can convince to come.

Do you see what I mean? Where's the long-term planning? The ambition to be savvy in the market, build a squad of players who suit a certain style and stick by it even if it doesn't immediately work? That's all that frustrates me, really.

Personally, I've really hit the point where I think I'd rather we just cashed the money from Bamford, Gibson and Traore and waited it out a year (or at least until January).

We all know by now that our transfer/scouting department is SHOCKING. We over-pay on players, negotiate poor contracts, and don't get much when we sell. Rarely do we improve on positions that need improving, and certainly not with genuine quality.

We're in a weird transitional period where our manager is clearly not here for the long-haul, we've not built any sort of philosophy or identity, and our current squad is frankly not fit for purpose. We're MILES off the Premier League.

The ONE shining light right now is we've got a really decent set of youngsters coming through. Tavernier, Chapman, Wing, Wood, Fry, and possibly others, could all form the basis of a team for the next 3-4 years. We should not be bothering panic-buying some over-aged Championship plodders to desperately fill a gap in the squad. Play the kids. Wait it out. Try to actually build a team instead of changing it every year when it doesn't go right.

That second part about transfer negotiations just isn’t true at all. Fair enough we obviously overpaid for Fletcher and a bit for Britt but what other players are you on about? And I actually think we have done well in recent years when selling players.

I'm with you BD - I can't think of any players we've let go for dramatically less than they are valued recently.

Players we sold well

Reach, Rhodes, Christie, Kike, just to name a few

Dread to think what our team could look like on Saturday, against monk as well

Better than it looked yesterday in all likelihood.

So am I right in thinking that a lot of people were annoyed we targeted waghorn are now annoyed that we're not getting him?

Still a fair way to go in this window, don't forget the loan to buy route I think clubs will be looking to use - let's wait and see who comes in

So are you saying don't buy anyone so that Pulis buggers off?

So am I right in thinking that a lot of people were annoyed we targeted waghorn are now annoyed that we're not getting him?

Still a fair way to go in this window, don't forget the loan to buy route I think clubs will be looking to use - let's wait and see who comes in

This

Players we sold well

I think we lost a few quid on Rhodes but the others listed there we did ok on.  I think you can find examples of players we probably overpaid for though, there's a few at the club right now.

I'm with you BD - I can't think of any players we've let go for dramatically less than they are valued recently.

Players we sold well

Most of our recent business has shown a profit.

Baragan may have been a loss,  but then we don't know the initial loan fee. 

Stuani's sale was undisclosed so not sure there either.

Before them we made a loss on Nugent- but that was expected

Players we sold well

I think we lost a few quid on Rhodes but the others listed there we did ok on.  I think you can find examples of players we probably overpaid for though, there's a few at the club right now.

I think we got a good price for Rhodes after his skill level .. We maybe overpaid for him in the first place, cause we didn't get the player Karanka wanted ... 

But i get your points ... 

WE are just a pioneer club, paying future prices in the past? :P