oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

Personally, I've really hit the point where I think I'd rather we just cashed the money from Bamford, Gibson and Traore and waited it out a year (or at least until January).

We all know by now that our transfer/scouting department is SHOCKING. We over-pay on players, negotiate poor contracts, and don't get much when we sell. Rarely do we improve on positions that need improving, and certainly not with genuine quality.

We're in a weird transitional period where our manager is clearly not here for the long-haul, we've not built any sort of philosophy or identity, and our current squad is frankly not fit for purpose. We're MILES off the Premier League.

The ONE shining light right now is we've got a really decent set of youngsters coming through. Tavernier, Chapman, Wing, Wood, Fry, and possibly others, could all form the basis of a team for the next 3-4 years. We should not be bothering panic-buying some over-aged Championship plodders to desperately fill a gap in the squad. Play the kids. Wait it out. Try to actually build a team instead of changing it every year when it doesn't go right.

Can you tell I've got some frustrations with how this club's run at the moment?

That second part about transfer negotiations just isn’t true at all. Fair enough we obviously overpaid for Fletcher and a bit for Britt but what other players are you on about? And I actually think we have done well in recent years when selling players.

I think there's a very decent argument to be made that every single player we bought during our promotion year ended up being a poor deal (seeing as I believe none are here anymore 2 years on), and last year our business was truly woeful. If you ask me, 5m for a McNair who we knew was injury prone (and has already missed the start of the season) is poor business.

Some of the prices we're being quoted for Waghorn, Ritchie, Ojo are really eye-watering for what we would be getting. Yet you've got Leeds signing the best LB in the league for 3m. Derby have signed Marriott, the top scorer in English football last year, for 5m. Why weren't we all over deals like that?

Well we can’t really control what other teams are asking can we? We waited them out and had a 5 million bud accepted for Waghorn instead of 8 million. And would really have been happy buying a league 1 striker for 5 million with our current set of strikers? Yeah Douglas is a weird one but he is supposedly poor defensively which is also why Wolves have let him go cheaply. He is extremely attacking and takes set pieces which is why he has so many assists.

I do agree that we could do a lot better with our scouting. That leaves a lot to be desired, but I don’t think you can blame the people doing the negotiations and contracts.

Honestly, I'd just like to see us have some kind of plan, philosophy, identity. Take Peterborough, for example. They pick up predominantly English players who drop out of higher league academies for cheap prices, or frees, and then build them up over a season or two to make a profit. They might not be the most successful team in the world, sure, but they've got a plan. They're well-run and the guy in charge knows what he is doing.

With us, I just feel like we always go from one extreme to the other. Under Mowbray it was purse-tightening, mostly freebies from the bargain bin. Then we bankrolled Karanka's Spanish revolution and signed a huge amount of foreign players over the 3 years he was here. Then, as soon as he went, we got rid of almost all of them, and the staff, and decided to go down the "Championship experience route". Now THAT hasn't worked, we're seemingly down to just getting whoever we can convince to come.

Do you see what I mean? Where's the long-term planning? The ambition to be savvy in the market, build a squad of players who suit a certain style and stick by it even if it doesn't immediately work? That's all that frustrates me, really.

100% agree with this, we are in huge danger of being left behind because of this poor planning as well. Throwing money around even at this level doesn’t work anymore as other teams can match it.

Look at teams like Brentford, Ipswich and as you mentioned Peterborough, always selling their best players and always replace them with some random who turns out just as good. Why can we not do the same?

Our recruitment just hasn’t been the same since we had peanuts to spend under Mowbray and Karankas first summer, what ever changed between the play off final and now needs to change back sharpish.

Without knowning what goes on behind the scenes to actually get a player here I genuinely think I and others could put together a better team that what we’ve managed since promotion or relegation.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So am I right in thinking that a lot of people were annoyed we targeted waghorn are now annoyed that we're not getting him?

"Hope we don't spunk tons of money on that player"

Club negotiates fee and gets bid accepted. Another club matches it and look like favourites.

"This club is pathetic, can't even get our targets in, going to be hell to pay for this!"

:D

So am I right in thinking that a lot of people were annoyed we targeted waghorn are now annoyed that we're not getting him?

"Hope we don't spunk tons of money on that player"

Club negotiates fee and gets bid accepted. Another club matches it and look like favourites.

"This club is pathetic, can't even get our targets in, going to be hell to pay for this!"

:D

* Bedcum

100% agree with this, we are in huge danger of being left behind because of this poor planning as well. Throwing money around even at this level doesn’t work anymore as other teams can match it.

Look at teams like Brentford, Ipswich and as you mentioned Peterborough, always selling their best players and always replace them with some random who turns out just as good. Why can we not do the same?

Our recruitment just hasn’t been the same since we had peanuts to spend under Mowbray and Karankas first summer, what ever changed between the play off final and now needs to change back sharpish.

Without knowning what goes on behind the scenes to actually get a player here I genuinely think I and others could put together a better team that what we’ve managed since promotion or relegation.

I agree with the basic point that we could do better, much better actually in my opinion, but you're not seriously comparing us junfavourably to Brentford, Ipswich and Peterborough?

We sold Espinosa for a few million as well didn't we. I'm starting to miss Bausors big grin when stood next to a new signing. I want to see that handsome face a few times in the next few days.

I wonder if Gibson will be interviewed prior to the season he seems to have gone silent since his "smash the league" comment which was interpreted widely by many a Boro fan and used against him.

I agree with the basic point that we could do better, much better actually in my opinion, but you're not seriously comparing us junfavourably to Brentford, Ipswich and Peterborough?

Can you honestly say that we're any further along from Ipswich and Brentford, other than the fact we've been in the Prem once in the last 10 years?

That second part about transfer negotiations just isn’t true at all. Fair enough we obviously overpaid for Fletcher and a bit for Britt but what other players are you on about? And I actually think we have done well in recent years when selling players.

I think there's a very decent argument to be made that every single player we bought during our promotion year ended up being a poor deal (seeing as I believe none are here anymore 2 years on), and last year our business was truly woeful. If you ask me, 5m for a McNair who we knew was injury prone (and has already missed the start of the season) is poor business.

Some of the prices we're being quoted for Waghorn, Ritchie, Ojo are really eye-watering for what we would be getting. Yet you've got Leeds signing the best LB in the league for 3m. Derby have signed Marriott, the top scorer in English football last year, for 5m. Why weren't we all over deals like that?

Well we can’t really control what other teams are asking can we? We waited them out and had a 5 million bud accepted for Waghorn instead of 8 million. And would really have been happy buying a league 1 striker for 5 million with our current set of strikers? Yeah Douglas is a weird one but he is supposedly poor defensively which is also why Wolves have let him go cheaply. He is extremely attacking and takes set pieces which is why he has so many assists.

I do agree that we could do a lot better with our scouting. That leaves a lot to be desired, but I don’t think you can blame the people doing the negotiations and contracts.

Honestly, I'd just like to see us have some kind of plan, philosophy, identity. Take Peterborough, for example. They pick up predominantly English players who drop out of higher league academies for cheap prices, or frees, and then build them up over a season or two to make a profit. They might not be the most successful team in the world, sure, but they've got a plan. They're well-run and the guy in charge knows what he is doing.

With us, I just feel like we always go from one extreme to the other. Under Mowbray it was purse-tightening, mostly freebies from the bargain bin. Then we bankrolled Karanka's Spanish revolution and signed a huge amount of foreign players over the 3 years he was here. Then, as soon as he went, we got rid of almost all of them, and the staff, and decided to go down the "Championship experience route". Now THAT hasn't worked, we're seemingly down to just getting whoever we can convince to come.

Do you see what I mean? Where's the long-term planning? The ambition to be savvy in the market, build a squad of players who suit a certain style and stick by it even if it doesn't immediately work? That's all that frustrates me, really.

If we followed the same plan as the teams above we wouldn’t need to put a team together after promotion because it wouldn’t have happened. Instead we would of all had to be happy with a top half finish year after year.

Yes we need the recruitment at the sorting but like the club above

Can you honestly say that we're any further along from Ipswich and Brentford, other than the fact we've been in the Prem once in the last 10 years?

And consistently finish above both of them every season?

Yeah I can honestly say that.

Are you saying that Brentford, Ipswich and Peterborough are better. They sign a lot of inferior players, hence why they aren’t successful at all, and once in a while they make a decent sale. Those sales obviously get some attention but not the rest of the dross the sign and fill their squads with.

Based on what? Our stellar brand of football? How many times have we gone to Portman Road and been done over in recent years? Hell, Brentford have been on the cusp of promotion year-on-year having spent a fraction of what we have. I don't know how people can turn their noses up at clubs like this just because we used to be an established Premier League team. We sure aren't anymore.

Actually

In Denmark .. a lot of football fans thinks, that Boro belongs in the Premier .. As boro did very well in the 90's and had some legends and some crazy games .. (Uefa cup) 

What is the general view on Boro in England? (genuine question) .. Does the ones without boro glasses on, see Boro as a club that should/could be in the Premier?