oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

100% agree with this, we are in huge danger of being left behind because of this poor planning as well. Throwing money around even at this level doesn’t work anymore as other teams can match it.

Look at teams like Brentford, Ipswich and as you mentioned Peterborough, always selling their best players and always replace them with some random who turns out just as good. Why can we not do the same?

Our recruitment just hasn’t been the same since we had peanuts to spend under Mowbray and Karankas first summer, what ever changed between the play off final and now needs to change back sharpish.

Without knowning what goes on behind the scenes to actually get a player here I genuinely think I and others could put together a better team that what we’ve managed since promotion or relegation.

Brentford, Ipswich and Peterborough are all clubs that would love to be in our position. We are very fortunate to be able to spend £15million on players and selling players for £10million+ rather than a team like Ipswich who finish mid table every season and have an outside chance of the play offs and make a profit here and there, let's not forget they've wanted Mick McCarthy sacked well before he left and have been fuming at their owner for not spending any money. 

Brentford is a great example of a long term project, a long term project that I think is an amazing idea but who can really say they'd swap Brentford's last 4 seasons for our last 4 seasons? We've had 2 play off runs, a promotion and a Premier League season. Whilst our Premier League season wasn't the best we'd been floating in mid table mediocrity for 5 seasons prior to our first play off run. 

Peterborough another great project but they are a League 1 team so for all I care they are nothing compared to us, they have a great plan in place but are playing *** team week after week and not even making the play offs in a League lower than us so their plan can't be all that good. Brilliant owner that interacts with the fans also, is a credit to his club.

Our recruitment hasn't been great but our Chairman sure has backed our Managers with millions worth of talent so nothing should be aimed at him in my opinion. Let us see what team we end up with come the end of the window as I'm sure Pulis will not let us end up with anything but what he wants/needs as he has ambition and in his own words hasn't moved up here to stay in the Championship.

In conclusion for me supporting Middlesbrough all I want is success and signing and selling players for a profit doesn't prove success, being in the Premier League is our aim and will determine our overall success for me. Also supporting Middlesbrough and watching players like Valdes, Negredo and Gaston has been a pleasure. I'm sure those 3 players alone is much better than any 3 players Ipswich, Brentford or Peterborough have had in the last 4 seasons.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any further news on Waghorn and his move up to you. We're waiting "patiently" for some confirmation that a deal has been agreed but now Derby are moving in closely also.

I'd think he'd be better suited to the North-East than Pride Park, can't quite put an exact reason on it but I feel the location would be more beneficial, he'd fit in better with you - if and when the business is finally resolved. Now that Bamford has gone, I'd expect a new forward would be something of an imperative for Middlesbrough. Waghorn may or may not be a suitable replacement, but he's done well for us in his time here.

Will be shame to see him leave, he's an automatic starter and reliable, but if the player wishes a new challenge elsewhere there's not an awful lot I - or the fans and directors of ITFC - can do to stop him. He'll get a better salary I believe if Middlesbrough or Derby take him off us, add to that an increased chance of a promotion opportunity.

Any further news on Waghorn and his move up to you.    We're waiting "patiently" for some confirmation that a deal has been agreed but now Derby are moving in closely also.

I'd think he'd be better suited to the North-East than Pride Park, can't quite put an exact reason on it but I feel the location would be more beneficial, he'd fit in better with you  - if and when the business is finally resolved.     Now that Bamford has gone, I'd expect a new forward would be something of an imperative for Middlesbrough.    Waghorn may or may not be a suitable replacement, but he's done well for us in his time here.

Will be shame to see him leave, he's an automatic starter and reliable, but if the player wishes a new challenge elsewhere there's not an awful lot I - or the fans and directors of ITFC - can do to stop him.  He'll get a better salary I believe if Middlesbrough or Derby take him off us, add to that an increased chance of a promotion opportunity.

yes, he did well for you. his agent well be in his ear saying you proved your a top champo player, i'll get you a better contract. no loyalty, not with the money about now. they need to earn the big bucks when they get the chance.

100% agree with this, we are in huge danger of being left behind because of this poor planning as well. Throwing money around even at this level doesn’t work anymore as other teams can match it.

Look at teams like Brentford, Ipswich and as you mentioned Peterborough, always selling their best players and always replace them with some random who turns out just as good. Why can we not do the same?

Our recruitment just hasn’t been the same since we had peanuts to spend under Mowbray and Karankas first summer, what ever changed between the play off final and now needs to change back sharpish.

Without knowning what goes on behind the scenes to actually get a player here I genuinely think I and others could put together a better team that what we’ve managed since promotion or relegation.

Brentford, Ipswich and Peterborough are all clubs that would love to be in our position. We are very fortunate to be able to spend £15million on players and selling players for £10million+ rather than a team like Ipswich who finish mid table every season and have an outside chance of the play offs and make a profit here and there, let's not forget they've wanted Mick McCarthy sacked well before he left and have been fuming at their owner for not spending any money. 

Brentford is a great example of a long term project, a long term project that I think is an amazing idea but who can really say they'd swap Brentford's last 4 seasons for our last 4 seasons? We've had 2 play off runs, a promotion and a Premier League season. Whilst our Premier League season wasn't the best we'd been floating in mid table mediocrity for 5 seasons prior to our first play off run. 

Peterborough another great project but they are a League 1 team so for all I care they are nothing compared to us, they have a great plan in place but are playing *** team week after week and not even making the play offs in a League lower than us so their plan can't be all that good. Brilliant owner that interacts with the fans also, is a credit to his club.

Our recruitment hasn't been great but our Chairman sure has backed our Managers with millions worth of talent so nothing should be aimed at him in my opinion. Let us see what team we end up with come the end of the window as I'm sure Pulis will not let us end up with anything but what he wants/needs as he has ambition and in his own words hasn't moved up here to stay in the Championship.

In conclusion for me supporting Middlesbrough all I want is success and signing and selling players for a profit doesn't prove success, being in the Premier League is our aim and will determine our overall success for me. Also supporting Middlesbrough and watching players like Valdes, Negredo and Gaston has been a pleasure. I'm sure those 3 players alone is much better than any 3 players Ipswich, Brentford or Peterborough have had in the last 4 seasons.

You’ve got the total wrong end of the stick.

Here is us with all our money

We still can’t buy a decent left winger

We’re going into yet another season with players like Clayton, leadbitter and friend as our main options in their positions. You could even say we still haven’t replaced zenden or Johnson from 12 and 9 years ago.

My whole point is look at Brentford and peterborough with their small budgets who constantly have to refresh their team and constantly do it with good results. They are where they are because the players they buy cost a few hundered k.

If they can constantly replace like for like on small budgets then why can’t we do it with all our money?

Adama leaving makes the RW spot more of a priority than LW for me. We have Braithwaite, Tavernier and Chapman as options on that flank - Braithwaite being arguably one of the best left sided players in the league. We need a genuine replacement on the right flank - but someone who potentially keeps the balance within the side better than Traore does.

Let's think of a positive - Traore leaving means we may sign a RB that's more progressive than Shotton. That means we lose one massive dynamic, but gain a potential new dynamic which is set throughout the whole team as oppose to one player.

Priorities for me, in order:

RW - RB - LB

Obviously I'd say a No. 10, but that simply won't happen...

Adama leaving makes the RW spot more of a priority than LW for me. We have Braithwaite, Tavernier and Chapman as options on that flank - Braithwaite being arguably one of the best left sided players in the league. We need a genuine replacement on the right flank - but someone who potentially keeps the balance within the side better than Traore does.

Let's think of a positive - Traore leaving means we may sign a RB that's more progressive than Shotton. That means we lose one massive dynamic, but gain a potential new dynamic which is set throughout the whole team as oppose to one player.

RW - RB - LB

so you think britt fletcher and ruddy are suitable up top and not need a striker? i'd say we badly need a fitting striker as much as we need a rb, rw and cm. lb friend is still decent at this level, yes we all know he'll need replacing blah blah but did you see the midfield at all on saturday? shocking. the wall dominated us. braithwaite from what i seen wasnt overly keen on helping friend out either, two on one a few times. due to midfield plodders allowing so much space to get at us.

Am I the only one who saw the + sign after £20m on Adama’s fee? Having negotiated it we almost definitely have a sell on now, it spreads our income nicely for the next few windows to lessen the impact of losing parachute payments if necessary.

You’ve got the total wrong end of the stick.

Here is us with all our money

We still can’t buy a decent left winger

We’re going into yet another season with players like Clayton, leadbitter and friend as our main options in their positions. You could even say we still haven’t replaced zenden or Johnson from 12 and 9 years ago.

My whole point is look at Brentford and peterborough with their small budgets who constantly have to refresh their team and constantly do it with good results. They are where they are because the players they buy cost a few hundered k.

If they can constantly replace like for like on small budgets then why can’t we do it with all our money?

When you say yet another season everyone was more than happy that we still had Clayton and Friend at the start of last season so you are over exaggerating. Clayton is still more than good enough to play the holding role. Leadbitter is not our first choice and wasn't come the end of last season, if McNair was fit Leadbitter wouldn't have played. I personally believe Friend is still good enough just lacking cover for him.

To say we haven't replaced Zenden and Johnson again is hilarious. We've had Adam Reach in that time who over excelled in Karanka's system and then left for a very high price. Downing when he first came back looked like a brilliant signing for LW. We've signed Marvin Johnson who to Monk, at the time of signing him, was good enough to play LW for us. We've also had Tomlin who played out their under Karanka, Adomah also. I take your point we don't currently have a good enough LW but the other point of 10/12 years is totally wrong.

Brentford and Peterborough constantly refresh their team and make no progress what so ever. We've been in the 2 play offs, been promoted and relegated from the Premier League in the time that Brentford and Pererborough have been 'refreshing their team'. Look at a team like Cardiff who don't particularly have a project in place and spend the same amount of money as Brentford and are miles ahead of them, just because they can replace like for like doesn't change the fact they aren't a good a club as Boro.

I also think they reason why they can replace like for like is because their quality of player is quite simply lower than ours so is easier to replace than it is for us.

Am I the only one who saw the + sign after £20m on Adama’s fee? Having negotiated it we almost definitely have a sell on now, it spreads our income nicely for the next few windows to lessen the impact of losing parachute payments if necessary.

Saw it reported as 26m elsewhere

RW - RB - LB

so you think britt fletcher and ruddy are suitable up top and not need a striker? i'd say we badly need a fitting striker as much as we need a rb, rw and cm. lb friend is still decent at this level, yes we all know he'll need replacing blah blah but did you see the midfield at all on saturday? shocking. the wall dominated us. braithwaite from what i seen wasnt overly keen on helping friend out either, two on one a few times. due to midfield plodders allowing so much space to get at us.

Britt was quite proactive in the Millwall game and Fletcher had a instant impact off the bench for us and I was one of his biggest critics last season. Our midfield wasn't great against Millwall but Leadbitter wasn't as bad as some are making him out to be and neither was Howson. Braithwaite also gave plenty of support to Friend but Pulis you could quite clearly instructing Braitwaite to be higher up the pitch as an attacking outlet for when we countered. Our midfield looked a lot worse than it was against Millwall due to 2 defensive errors which cost us 2 goals.

RW - RB - LB

I mean, I'd rather us have Braithwaite as the Free Role behind the striker - or, as I said, sign an outright No. 10 - but I don't see either of those happening. I don't see Pulis changing from his solid midfield 3. And do you think Hugill would score more than Britt? I'm not so sure.

Even with a 'fitting striker' there's bugger all they could do differently to Britt against Millwall. The reality is that it doesn't matter how good a Target Man you are if there's no support for you when you're holding the ball up. The issue there isn't Britt, it's the lack of support from the midfield - which I do think would be improved with McNair and Braithwaite in there together.

Braithwaite down the left is as close to a strike partner as you'll get in a Pulis formation. Hugill would be a decent signing, but we don't need him as much as we need a RW, RB and genuine competition for LB.

it's not necessarily how I'd approach it if I was in charge, but we've got to be realistic about what we'll get under Pulis.

If we sign Hugill, Assombalonga is off. And I personally think that leaves us with less dynamic, less pragmatism through the whole system. So yes. I'd rather sign a RW, RB and LB rather than a ST.

My predictions:

Out:

Traore, Leadbitter, de Sart, Johnson, Ripley

In:

Ritchie, Besic, Hugill, Jenkinson, Knudsen

Add ojo on loan and i wouldn't be displeased with that activity. I really don't see it though, I think it will be hugill, besic and a full back with ojo on loan.

RW - RB - LB

I mean, I'd rather us have Braithwaite as the Free Role behind the striker - or, as I said, sign an outright No. 10 -  but I don't see either of those happening. I don't see Pulis changing from his solid midfield 3. And do you think Hugill would score more than Britt? I'm not so sure.

Even with a 'fitting striker' there's bugger all they could do differently to Britt against Millwall. The reality is that it doesn't matter how good a Target Man you are if there's no support for you when you're holding the ball up. The issue there isn't Britt, it's the lack of support from the midfield - which I do think would be improved with McNair and Braithwaite in there together.

Braithwaite down the left is as close to a strike partner as you'll get in a Pulis formation. Hugill would be a decent signing, but we don't need him as much as we need a RW, RB and genuine competition for LB.

it's not necessarily how I'd approach it if I was in charge, but we've got to be realistic about what we'll get under Pulis.

If we sign Hugill, Assombalonga is off. And I personally think that leaves us with less dynamic, less pragmatism through the whole system. So yes. I'd rather sign a RW, RB and LB rather than a ST.

no support from midfield but you prioritized a rw then rb n lb. i think you sort of contradicted yourself a bit there. yes we need support from midfield i agree completely with that. leads howson clayton and downing dont get forward enough, or hurt the opposition in any real way. downing i still think can because he is still a great passer. thats the main problem center of the pitch cm and cf more energy needed. and the two wide forwards but braithwaite is okay for now maybe, just need like you said a replacement for adama. 

center of the pitch was a big problem all last season more so under monk. we never controlled a game like we did under karanka. need more legs (and quality) in there for ages. 

hugill would have made a difference in that game, he can hold the ball for starters. no point in even hitting the ball long to britt hes useless in the air and with his back to goal. his limitations limited our play. hugill is a more complete forward (fm style).  that would help us no end especially away from home.

@DK - When considering Wingers as midfielders, I certainly didn't contradict myself.

Assombalonga doesn't seem to have energy, but there's no point wasting it when you don't have anyone in support. Even with Braithwaite there, that's 2 against a back 4/5. Someone on the right flank getting forward in a similar vein, plus McNair - who's arguably become more forward thinking than any of our options or Besic -bursting forward late does start to combat that and break the gap between the banks between players in our current system.

If Besic came in for his traditional role as a holding mid with McNair and Howson ahead of him, I'd be game. Clayton would perhaps be needed in games where we need to break up the oppositions flow a bit more, but Besic could also play the box-to-box role we saw last term in that system too.

My problem is that I don't see us being linked with a better striker than Assombalonga. If it was Hugill for Gestede, I'd be entirely up for that; he's a better version of what we have. But if we sign a striker, I'm all-but convinced that The Ass won't be here come the end of the window - and I'd not be willing to sacrifice what he brings simply for an upgrade on Gestede which means we'd only be able to play with one dynamic.

CM would probably be 4th on my Priority List. ST I'm loathed to include a as I'm convinced it'd be a Britt replacement... And I don't see that being an improvement in terms of quality.