oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

I actually think he would genuinely be a good fit for a Pulis side. But I think he'd need a Britt or Braithwaite nearby. I have more genuine interest in Hugill then I do Bolasie.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I look back at the fact that Monk's signings looked really good on paper, most people thought we'd had an excellent transfer window (myself included) and we all know how quickly that train derailed.

So do I which is why I've said in the past that even Besic and Hugill don't give me huge amounts of joy or anything. Besic did a decent job for us but I thought he went lost in some of the tougher games. The proof is always going to be in the pudding with everyone who comes in now. But there are a few things I can get behind signing Hugill for, particularly because he has seemed decent when I've seen him play. He seems to be the right ilk for a Pulis striker.

Let me put it another way then.  If at the end of last season or the start of this summer someone said we're going to sign a striker who scored 8 goals last season in the Championship and his best ever is 12 goals, would we be happy with that?  So are we happy because we think he'll be a great fit and good addition to the squad or are people just happy to be signing anyone because we haven't done much so far and we've lost a few good players?  I don't even have a downer on the lad but it kinda feels to me like there's a hint of desperation in the air right now?

His game is as much about his hold up play as it is about his goals. I think he's a good fit for what we want and the current makeup of the team.

Giroud didn't score a goal or get a single shot on target for France at the World Cup but was integral to how they played. In the modern game, you don't always rely on the guy up top to score you goals. It's all about how they fit into the system.

My personal view is that I want to win as many games as we can and get points on the board, hopefully resulting in promotion. I want players who will give 100% and will help us get there. This, I suspect, is the goal of all fans. How we get there and the style of football we use to get there is likely where the difference in opinion lies.

Giroud didn't score a goal or get a single shot on target for France at the World Cup but was integral to how they played. In the modern game, you don't always rely on the guy up top to score you goals. It's all about how they fit into the system.

Any talk from your mate Yannick?

Echo just put up a story saying we're focusing on Besic and Bolasie also still very keen on Freeman with interest still in Ojo/Ritchie they say Vokes is staying at Burnley for now. Not sure why we'd be sticking in for Freeman I mean he's versatile I guess can cover central and left side so maybe the same kind of versatile left sided option Bryan would have offered but CM instead of LB.

Let me put it another way then.  If at the end of last season or the start of this summer someone said we're going to sign a striker who scored 8 goals last season in the Championship and his best ever is 12 goals, would we be happy with that?  So are we happy because we think he'll be a great fit and good addition to the squad or are people just happy to be signing anyone because we haven't done much so far and we've lost a few good players?  I don't even have a downer on the lad but it kinda feels to me like there's a hint of desperation in the air right now?

I think some people are a bit desperate to sign players, yes. I don't think it's entirely the case on this forum but in general, yes. Can you blame them so much with how late we've left it? Some people will take extra bodies as positives even if it really isn't. That's transfer season for you.

But I think you're boiling the striker down to his goal tally in a system where we won't be relying on him alone for goals. I personally don't see Hugill as the kind of striker who will score 20 a season, I've said it just earlier on in this thread. But what he should do is provide a more adequate target to play the ball off than Gestede. And I think that will make a positive difference to how we play under Pulis and contribute to earning positive results. Time will ultimately tell whether that's a correct assumption, of course.

While Hugill’s desire to move to his hometown club on a season-long loan has made that particular deal smoother to conclude, getting things tied up with Bolasie and Besic has been a little trickier.

Interest from the Bolasie’s former club Crystal Palace has given the Everton winger something else to think about, but Middlesbrough have shown the most interest in striking a deal.

A permanent transfer as well as a possible loan has been discussed between Everton and Middlesbrough for a player who is now valued at £15m having joined from Palace in a £25m switch two years ago.

Everton are willing to let him go and the challenge is to persuade Bolasie he can fulfil his ambitions on Teesside as he looks to rekindle his best after injury.

And with the window close to shutting, Tony Pulis is pushing ahead with trying to sign Bolasie’s team-mate Besic. The Bosnian enjoyed his time at Middlesbrough on loan last season and Everton are now ready to let him head out again, even if it is initially temporarily after the deadline.

Hugill, on the other hand, has been at Rockliffe Park to complete the formalities and West Ham are set to receive a loan fee, reported to be £2m, and there could be an option of a full-time switch too.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/16406014.boro-looking-to-follow-up-hugill-deal-with-two-everton-players-and-maybe-more/

I think some people are a bit desperate to sign players, yes. I don't think it's entirely the case on this forum but in general, yes. Can you blame them so much with how late we've left it? Some people will take extra bodies as positives even if it really isn't. That's transfer season for you.

But I think you're boiling the striker down to his goal tally in a system where we won't be relying on him alone for goals. I personally don't see Hugill as the kind of striker who will score 20 a season, I've said it just earlier on in this thread. But what he should do is provide a more adequate target to play the ball off than Gestede. And I think that will make a positive difference to how we play under Pulis and contribute to earning positive results. Time will ultimately tell whether that's a correct assumption, of course.

It's understandable for CT to ask this question though. If our striker isn't going to get the goals then who is? We have least seasons midfield (barring besic) and I don't think they got 10 between them. We have lost our right winger who hasn't been replaced (yet). Our left winger from last season is by no means prolific.

If the striker we buy isn't going to get the goals, then we absolutely need more support players and they need to be fairly prolific. Has anyone we have been linked to got a good goal getting record?

It's understandable for CT to ask this question though. If our striker isn't going to get the goals then who is? We have least seasons midfield (barring besic) and I don't think they got 10 between them. We have lost our right winger who hasn't been replaced (yet). Our left winger from last season is by no means prolific.

If the striker we buy isn't going to get the goals, then we absolutely need more support players and they need to be fairly prolific. Has anyone we have been linked to got a good goal getting record?

McNair and potentially Wing coming in adds goals to that, along with Besic if we get that tied up.

Let me put it another way then. If at the end of last season or the start of this summer someone said we're going to sign a striker who scored 8 goals last season in the Championship and his best ever is 12 goals, would we be happy with that? So are we happy because we think he'll be a great fit and good addition to the squad or are people just happy to be signing anyone because we haven't done much so far and we've lost a few good players? I don't even have a downer on the lad but it kinda feels to me like there's a hint of desperation in the air right now?

I’m not happy.