oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

I'll tell you what the loan window is.....it's an excuse for people to use when we don't get in our 'targets'.

How many people said judge when the transfer window closes. Now it's judge when the loan window closes. Then there will be excuses and everyone who says the club have screwed it up or dare I say, used these infamous smoke and mirrors on their fans, will be considered bedwetters.

In my opinion, and I honestly don't mind if people disagree, this was always the plan. We did our business early. Flint and mcnair. That's it. We then wanted to get as much money in as possible for a striker and the two most saleable assets. Bank the money. Pay off the debt. Who knows. May be ensure we have a pot of money for the new manager?

Either way, I think plan A was a success for the club today.

I agree with you about plan A, or at least the priority was to balance the books.

History tells us that Gibson either has a real go in the transfer window or balances the books. We now seem to be going through a period where the numbers in the bank account are more important than success on the pitch.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Gazette say our preference and plan on Bolasie was a loan all along it's just the small problem of convincing Everton to loan him, convincing Bolasie to come and agreeing how much of his 70k a week we pay I mean it sounds like a done deal to me no worries.

I think this is in Boro's best interests, the outlay of £15million plus agent fees and wages would have been to big for a Championship team. With no guarantee of Premier League money we could be in a awful position.

Our current squad isn’t as bad as everybody thinks, lack of incomings may mean we hang on to Braithwaite. The young players are more likely to breakthrough too.

It’s not all doom and gloom, we will win matches on the training pitch, not in the transfer market.

I'd rather us win them on the actual pitch, than the training pitch!

I agree I don't think out squad is bad at all, and I also agree with one of your earlier statements about our midfield being solid enough. I'm a little disappointed we didn't bring in any wingers, or fullbacks. Even more so with the likes of Douglas going to Leeds for £3m etc. We've still got time to make a few loans, Bolasie would be a good loan. I'm glad we didn't sign him for £15 mill as that would have been a huge risk.

I'll tell you what the loan window is.....it's an excuse for people to use when we don't get in our 'targets'.

How many people said judge when the transfer window closes. Now it's judge when the loan window closes. Then there will be excuses and everyone who says the club have screwed it up or dare I say, used these infamous smoke and mirrors on their fans, will be considered bedwetters.

In my opinion, and I honestly don't mind if people disagree, this was always the plan. We did our business early. Flint and mcnair. That's it. We then wanted to get as much money in as possible for a striker and the two most saleable assets. Bank the money. Pay off the debt. Who knows. May be ensure we have a pot of money for the new manager?

I agree with you about plan A, or at least the priority was to balance the books.

History tells us that Gibson either has a real go in the transfer window or balances the books. We now seem to be going through a period where the numbers in the bank account are more important than success on the pitch.

I think in reality this close season was always going to be about balancing the books to an extent. We did spend big money poorly last summer, and I think we're probably still paying the price.

It's good that people aren't overreacting.

Where’s the over reaction? You’re the one who comes on after every transfer window and tells everyone how crap it was and that we haven’t addressed our problem areas, now people agree with you they’re overreacting?

I just say it though I don't carry on like a toddler having a strop  :P

Did people really think that going in to today things would be different?  I mean really?  Anyway, people always agree with me, it just takes them a bit longer to arrive at the same conclusion  ;)

The Gazette say our preference and plan on Bolasie was a loan all along it's just the small problem of convincing Everton to loan him, convincing Bolasie to come and agreeing how much of his 70k a week we pay I mean it sounds like a done deal to me no worries.

I think this is in Boro's best interests, the outlay of £15million plus agent fees and wages would have been to big for a Championship team. With no guarantee of Premier League money we could be in a awful position.

Only problem is Everton don’t want him to go on loan and there’s rumours he turned us down. But I’m sure we’ll find some magical way around that in your mind

As much as I respect Gibson, I think he’s wrong on the agents point. Yes it is annoying to see them collect cash for effectively doing nothing, but it’s not a sensible battle to fight. We annoy an agent by not paying a decent fee then we don’t get sounded out for good deals and every time we go to sign one of their players then the agent is in the player’s ear telling them to go somewhere else. Today was a case in point. The priority was getting Besic - we left it late and saved 5m but threw the toys out of the pram for 1m. Senseless.

Our current squad isn’t as bad as everybody thinks, lack of incomings may mean we hang on to Braithwaite. The young players are more likely to breakthrough too.

It’s not all doom and gloom, we will win matches on the training pitch, not in the transfer market.

I'd rather us win them on the actual pitch, than the training pitch!

I agree I don't think out squad is bad at all, and I also agree with one of your earlier statements about our midfield being solid enough. I'm a little disappointed we didn't bring in any wingers, or fullbacks. Even more so with the likes of Douglas going to Leeds for £3m etc. We've still got time to make a few loans, Bolasie would be a good loan. I'm glad we didn't sign him for £15 mill as that would have been a huge risk.

It would have been a massive risk but we were never going to blow £15m on him, it’s the last year of parachute payments and we have to look towards the future.

I think we’ll see some decent matches this season.

Only problem is Everton don’t want him to go on loan and there’s rumours he turned us down. But I’m sure we’ll find some magical way around that in your mind

He'll go out on loan if/when they can't sell him to a club outside the UK.  They just didn't want to loan him today.

This window including the loan window will be a failure if we don't fix the problematic areas.

The loan window is still open and until then I have no issue.

Hugill has replaced Bamford. Flint replaced Gibson. Debt I'm not 100% we have any, I could be wrong of course. I think it is a conspiracy this whole 'Plan', I don't doubt that we are steadying the ship but we will sort this with the loan window.

We were going to (at least start to) sort it with the real window. And let's face it, we haven't. Barring wing we have the lowest midfield since Robson, Thompson and flood. We have zero creativity from the left......or the right. Our full backs are mid table at best and we have zero back up for them. The players we have bought in are inferior to those we let go. I love all the optimism. I'm sick of the "we'll be fine" line that keeps dropping up.

Why can't our fans just face it, this window has been disastrous, and though I actually prefer to loan some players to take away the massive risks, I just don't see us fill in all the positions needed. I'm not even sure the positions we believe need addressing are considers to be problem areas within the club.

I don't believe we hugely need that creative central player because I feel Downing or Howson can adequately do the job. Braitwaite from the left or right is creative. Our full backs I believe are good enough, Shotton can be a liability at times but I really like him and as for Friend I rate him as one of the top LB's in the league still. I agree we have bought in inferior players but Adama was to good for us and so was Gibson, that's football.

I don't believe we can call this window a disaster just yet, come the end of the loan window if the areas aren't addressed then we can worry in my opinion.

Where’s the over reaction? You’re the one who comes on after every transfer window and tells everyone how crap it was and that we haven’t addressed our problem areas, now people agree with you they’re overreacting?

Did people really think that going in to today things would be different?  I mean really?  Anyway, people always agree with me, it just takes them a bit longer to arrive at the same conclusion  ;)

Did I really think we would sign at least one player today? Yes, I really did. I don’t think that’s an unfair thing to expect when what we actually need is about 5 players. Our manager wanted numerous players in and we’ve failed, again.

Did I really think we would sign at least one player today? Yes, I really did. I don’t think that’s an unfair thing to expect when what we actually need is about 5 players. Our manager wanted numerous players in and we’ve failed, again.

I agree also I thought we'd sign at least one player but this 'loan' window is the perfect opportunity to patch the problems.

That's fine but given the fact that our recent adventures in the transfer market haven't been that good and that we've waited until the last minute to get things done then my own expectations weren't that high.  The fact that the loan window is still open to us simply added to all of that for me.