oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

We desperately need some pace in the team, preferably in place of Shotton and Downing. They've had ok games so I'm not going to bash them but if we go throughout the season relying on Shotton and Downing as creative outlets we are gonna come a cropper.

Shots and Stewy have been two of our best players in the opening games tbh! We do need to add more to the squad I do agree! Especially as covers ATLEAST in case something happens to them

They have been a bit of a revelation. Downing has played lb previously in his west ham times but lwb really seems to suit him. I would rather have a proper attacking wingbacks in the right but shotton has been really good.

I don't see the system as 343 though. Much more 352 or 3412.

Hated the way the transfer window worked out, and have openly accused the club of blindsiding the manager and the fans. However, it may well be a blessing in disguise. The players we have seem to have pushed pulis into playing the system, and it's actually providing results and entertainment.

My one hope is that this has convinced pulis that he should continue along this road with this system. Credit though has to be given to him for being brave enough to go with best players rather than his system irrespective of player positions.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Downing and shotton have definately been brilliant this season, shotton more so. But like he said would you really want to rely on them allll season?

I dont think we should let these performances distract from what issues we know we have, by now we should realise they will come back and bite us in the backside.

If BRaithwaite does stay I think we could get away with less, as ive said I think Antonio would be a perfect buy for us and Id love to see a midfield of Besic, Grujic and Howson. I still do think we need something on the left though just not sure what anymore!

Were Downing and Shotton brilliant at Millwall? We've beaten two teams at home that we are better than. Two teams that we beat at home last season when Monk was in charge 1-0 and 2-0. So let's not get ahead of ourselves, this team/squad is clearly lacking some things and it'd be great if we can find them. If not I don't see us improving on last season regardless of the start we've made.

Were Downing and Shotton brilliant at Millwall?  We've beaten two teams at home that we are better than.  Two teams that we beat at home last season when Monk was in charge 1-0 and 2-0.  So let's not get ahead of ourselves, this team/squad is clearly lacking some things and it'd be great if we can find them.  If not I don't see us improving on last season regardless of the start we've made.

Not sure if your aiming it at me but read the rest of my post I say pretty much exactly the same as what youve said.

Were Downing and Shotton brilliant at Millwall?  We've beaten two teams at home that we are better than.  Two teams that we beat at home last season when Monk was in charge 1-0 and 2-0.  So let's not get ahead of ourselves, this team/squad is clearly lacking some things and it'd be great if we can find them.  If not I don't see us improving on last season regardless of the start we've made.

Indeed. Beating the teams you're better than is half the battle. Last season we managed to do that by and large. It was against the teams above us we struggled to get any kind of effective performance against, the record against the top 6 going into the run-in was one of the main reasons a lot of us were surprised to see us actually end up in the play-offs at all, never mind 5th.

I'm not going to get carried away by a couple of routine wins. I'm happy with the 7 points, I doubt that there's many Boro fans who wouldn't have taken 7 from the first 3 were they offered it when the fixtures were announced. But we have to be honest with ourselves and remain critical of the squad we have or it could end up biting us in the *** at some point during the next 4.5 months.

Not sure if your aiming it at me but read the rest of my post I say pretty much exactly the same as what youve said.

No mate, just following on from what you already said really.

Agree with both of you. Watch out though, Uwe will be along with his facepalm emojis any second.

Going back to transfers, does the window closing actually really change anything for us? Obviously the big issues are not allowed more than 2 from any one club and 5? In a match day squad.

But other than that there isn't anything that says how much you can and can't pay for a loan fee, can't we just structure any deals like we did when we bought Rhodes and sold Barragan? Hell when it comes to people like Martina who are clearly surplus and have low market value I'm sure there are shenanigans we can pull so Everton cancel his contract and we get him on a free, maybe his fee is tied in with the Bolasie loan etc.

Agree with both of you. Watch out though, Uwe will be along with his facepalm emojis any second.

Going back to transfers, does the window closing actually really change anything for us? Obviously the big issues are not allowed more than 2 from any one club and 5? In a match day squad.

But other than that there isn't anything that says how much you can and can't pay for a loan fee, can't we just structure any deals like we did when we bought Rhodes and sold Barragan? Hell when it comes to people like Martina who are clearly surplus and have low market value I'm sure there are shenanigans we can pull so Everton cancel his contract and we get him on a free, maybe his fee is tied in with the Bolasie loan etc.

Or when we sold Rhodes to Shef Wed. That was a loan, with an agreement to go perm at the end of the season, for about £10M wasn't it?

@Dan1234

Apologies for the face palm emoji I was a bit drunk. However Downing and Shotton were great yesterday both played a very difficult role and with requires extreme fitness and they nailed it. I was just surprised to read that your comment was to want them replaced with speed

Should've explained it better

Were Downing and Shotton brilliant at Millwall? We've beaten two teams at home that we are better than. Two teams that we beat at home last season when Monk was in charge 1-0 and 2-0. So let's not get ahead of ourselves, this team/squad is clearly lacking some things and it'd be great if we can find them. If not I don't see us improving on last season regardless of the start we've made.

to be fair they didn't play as wingbacks against millwall.

Whilst I accept that The two lads have done well at WB against say Leeds who push their wingers and fullbacks up we will need to adjust the formation, so we still need FB cover and wide players.