oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

So we can't really blame Martina for buggering off to Stoke if we've essentially told him he's 3rd choice out of the Everton players we want.

The Bolasie thing reeks to me. Sounds like we are haggling over how we can agree a deal with Everton but I'm not that convinced the player wants to join. I sincerely hope we've been given some positive indication from him and that he actually will be happy to play for us. If not, then we should have moved on a long time ago.

Sounds like Jesé all over again.

As if we’re making the same mistake

Bingo, Lino.  Jese hasnt been the only example though has he. We seem to continously fart about NOT getting a certain deal done each deadline and in doing so dont leave any time for alternatives. Not saying we should do whatever it takes to sign a player (thier demands wise) but surely these experienced and well trusted negotiators should know when to move on to another option .

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stoke had been interested in Danny Simpson at Leicester. If they get Martina, that could make Simpson an option... Know which I'd rather have!

I'd be disgusted with the club if we signed Danny Simpson.  Marlon King was shameful enough but Simpson's another level of ***hole

Marlon Kind used to beat women - is Simpson the same?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32820683

Didn't know that... sack him off then.

Tbh if we wanted Martina I don't really understand why we didn't just buy him. The Liverpool Echo claimed he was available for 2m, that's absolute pennies in todays market for a player who covers multiple positions and is also experienced and a good age. I don't know his wage demands but surely we could have came to an agreement.

Tbh if we wanted Martina I don't really understand why we didn't just buy him. The Liverpool Echo claimed he was available for 2m, that's absolute pennies in todays market for a player who covers multiple positions and is also experienced and a good age. I don't know his wage demands but surely we could have came to an agreement.

It surely must come down to the fact we can only get 2 players from the same club, therefore we must be either confident on Besic and Bolasie or dont want to risk not being able to get them later in the window. I personally think with Bolasie we are probably aiming too high but he has said Pulis is the manager who has given him the most confidence in the past so you never know.

Well yeah but if we bought him it wouldn't have effected the loan situation. I understand the clubs unwillingness to just throw money away, but 2m is peanuts. We got 1m for Fabio and he would basically replace him, so effectively costing us 1m net. I feel like there must be somebody else we fancy above him.

We'll sign someone who will "do a job". Not a stand out name, not even a good player I'd imagine.

The right wing version of Martin Cranie or someone like that?

Why are we never at the forefront of exciting young new players? Or foreign players?

I hate our transfer policy sometimes.

Erhm Traore?

Fischer and de Pena as well!  :fist:

Well yeah but if we bought him it wouldn't have effected the loan situation. I understand the clubs unwillingness to just throw money away, but 2m is peanuts. We got 1m for Fabio and he would basically replace him, so effectively costing us 1m net. I feel like there must be somebody else we fancy above him.

I didnt think we were allowed to buy now though, its just loans isn’t it?

I didnt think we were allowed to buy now though, its just loans isn’t it?

I think he meant before the window closed.

Incredible that there are no rumours what so ever, apart from little speculation about Bolasie and Smoggydownsouth saying Martina had trained with us.

There you go.

rumours_copy.jpg?itok=xZkkGYoG

Second hand news?

Well played.

So the Gazette are saying Martina was at Rockliffe last week ready to sign on loan for us but we put it on ice ahead of deadline day to leave us flexibility with Bolasie/Besic then we cocked deadline day up and when we tried to go back in for him on loan he new phone who dissed us then went to Stoke how can we mess up so bad with transfers?

How did we cock deadline day up just out of interest?  Do you mean we didn't manage to get Besic in?

So the Gazette are saying Martina was at Rockliffe last week ready to sign on loan for us but we put it on ice ahead of deadline day to leave us flexibility with Bolasie/Besic then we cocked deadline day up and when we tried to go back in for him on loan he new phone who dissed us then went to Stoke how can we mess up so bad with transfers?

How did we cock deadline day up just out of interest?  Do you mean we didn't manage to get Besic in?

Well if reports are to believed we were in for bolasie, martina, besic, the two millwall lads, Freeman and byram and ended up with none... id say that's fairly cocked up

Basically he ignored us I don't blame him either and whoever has leaked out to the EG the reasoning/thought process behind our Martina interest how they're still employed is mindblowing to me if that's the way we handled attempting to sign a Premier League versatile defender, will we find any better I doubt it, then we are far more hopeless than even I thought.

The thought process was sound, I'm not really sure what your problem is with it to be honest?  Is it just because we didn't end up signing him?  We wanted 3 players from the same club, we almost certainly didn't want to buy two of them (Bolasie and Martina) but we were prepared to buy Besic.  However, we couldn't guarantee that we could get a permanent deal done so we didn't use up our loans just in case.  It just demonstrates what our likely priorities were and Martina was third on that particular list.

Well if reports are to believed we were in for bolasie, martina, besic, the two millwall lads, Freeman and byram and ended up with none... id say that's fairly cocked up

I think that depends on exactly what we were doing.  Bolasie was only ever a loan so forget deadline day as it's irrelevant.  It was highly unlikely we'd have gotten him on that day simply because Everton would probably prefer to sell him, which means not letting him out on loan yet.  Same goes for Martina, I don't believe we were wanting to sign him on an actual transfer but we had him here in the hope that if we got Besic done we could then go ahead and get Martina signed on loan immediately as well.  We weren't in for Byram, that's a load of *** in my opinion.  I would assume that the two Millwall lads were dependent on Besic or not.  I'm not sure we'd have signed them all so again making an assumption I'd say they were our alternative/back-up targets.  I don't know how Freeman fits in with all of this however.  

On deadline day I imagine you have all sorts of feelers out and bids in for players but clearly some of them are only going to go ahead if others fail.  The problem then is that if they fail late on it's difficult to get the others done.  I suppose we could say that we left things too late and that's certainly possible but then it's also possible that Besic was being a bit slippery and weighing up his options.  At that point you can either say sod that and move on or if you really believe you can get it done and you really want the player then you push on regardless.  I reckon the latter is what happened with us.   Is that cocking up deadline day?  I don't know.  It's not great and it's far from ideal but it's also not completely awful either.  We should have gotten more business done earlier in the window and maybe that's where the fault lies?

Basically he ignored us I don't blame him either and whoever has leaked out to the EG the reasoning/thought process behind our Martina interest how they're still employed is mindblowing to me if that's the way we handled attempting to sign a Premier League versatile defender, will we find any better I doubt it, then we are far more hopeless than even I thought.

The thought process was sound, I'm not really sure what your problem is with it to be honest?  Is it just because we didn't end up signing him?  We wanted 3 players from the same club, we almost certainly didn't want to buy two of them (Bolasie and Martina) but we were prepared to buy Besic.  However, we couldn't guarantee that we could get a permanent deal done so we didn't use up our loans just in case.  It just demonstrates what our likely priorities were and Martina was third on that particular list.

Thought process of having a guy who, whether people rate him or not, is an experienced PL defender who covers both sides and has experience at wingback at Rockliffe then decide we can probably get away with keeping him on ice as we try to work out whether Besic is permanent or not then a couple of days later we try and say to Martina no it was you we wanted all along? That is serious naivety on the part of whoever was working that out you're saying the club being overly cautious and covering all their bases just in case is a good thing but if it was down to prudence and due diligence this supposed 3rd choice type scrapheap in case of emergency player at Rockliffe would surely be someone who doesn't play for the 1 team in world football we're trying to already sign 2 loan players from?

He's either a first choice defensive target going into deadline day who we went to the trouble of putting up, touring around and putting on ice because we're cocksure of ourselves because we're the mighty Boro and Martina's lucky to even have us interested or he's an option that came up we took as a contingency got him out to Rockliffe then because the Besic stuff took such a twist we pulled the plug ourselves on this awful player we never wanted anyway only to try and revive the deal in the past week amidst Stoke interest.

I think the former option more likely than the latter myself I find it remarkable that this is even out there if they just looked at Martina at some point last week then couldn't work it out that's one thing but what does us trying to go back in for him say for how well those Besic loan talks are going as well? A sound transfer strategy might have been identify a utility defender who doesn't play for Everton in case we had to use the loans on Besic and Bolasie but I really don't think that's what us targeting Martina was we wouldn't get a PL wage defender to Rockliffe because we were trying to put in place a contingency plan in place I'd put money he was a primary target on his wages he'd be put straight into our starting line up not buying this contingency talk at all.