oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

We're still in the Championship. We're a second tier club. We can't make players join us. We tried with the big money winger from the Prem and he chose to go elsewhere. We're not especially attractive to players above Championship level hence why we are signing one of the better midfielders from last season.

So if that's the case why aren't we signing "one of the better" wingers or full backs from the championship? You know, positions we actually need.

Because we can't make people join us, as BD just said.

The club should sign you two up for the PR team. You're both excellent at making excuses for them.

Which top wingers in this league would you like to see us go for? I don't really see many decent wingers at this level tbh

Will - do you work as a scout for the Boro? Sounds like it with that question ?.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn’t think Wigan were selling? WBA had 7mil rejected yesterday apparently

Then he is free to talk to club's in January. I hope we are all over that (though I doubt it).

Issue for January is who will want to come with the manager position unresolved?

Not English clubs. Can only hold contract talks with English clubs in the last month of his contract

With six months or less remaining on an existing contract for players aged 23 or older, they are free to negotiate with other clubs and sign a pre-contract agreement, indicating their ability to move to their intended club on a Bosman transfer when the next transfer window opens.

Unless the rules have changed........

Pretty sure it's been the case for a very long time that English clubs can only negotiate with players who aren't based in England 6 months before their contract ends.

If this isn't the case then Football Manager games have been getting it wrong for years, don't know if its an unofficial gentlemans agreement kind of thing or what but you just don't see English teams getting players from English teams before 1 month before the expiration of the contract.

So if that's the case why aren't we signing "one of the better" wingers or full backs from the championship? You know, positions we actually need.

Because we can't make people join us, as BD just said.

The club should sign you two up for the PR team. You're both excellent at making excuses for them.

Which top wingers in this league would you like to see us go for? I don't really see many decent wingers at this level tbh

Will - do you work as a scout for the Boro? Sounds like it with that question ?.

:idea:

Not English clubs. Can only hold contract talks with English clubs in the last month of his contract

With six months or less remaining on an existing contract for players aged 23 or older, they are free to negotiate with other clubs and sign a pre-contract agreement, indicating their ability to move to their intended club on a Bosman transfer when the next transfer window opens.

Unless the rules have changed........

Pretty sure it's been the case for a very long time that English clubs can only negotiate with players who aren't based in England 6 months before their contract ends.

If this isn't the case then Football Manager games have been getting it wrong for years, don't know if its an unofficial gentlemans agreement kind of thing or what but you just don't see English teams getting players from English teams before 1 month before the expiration of the contract.

That's the kind of thing FM gets spot on. Any rules they can implement in the logic of the game are implemented as close to the actual rules as they can possibly be, really. And that particular aspect of the Bosman rule is logically quite simple, just requires the player's contract information, where your club is based and where the player's club is based, all of which they have.

Can't believe we are at the final day of the transfer window and our great "hopes" are George Saville and Jason fecking Puncheon. Depressing.

Is this a 5pm deadline or does it go later?

We're a championship team. How many exciting players have been signed by other teams? Sure Forest signed an expensive portuguese player and villa have signed Bolasie but it's not like it's been hugely exciting for teams around us has it? Saville is a good Championship player who's just turned 25 and scored 10 goals in 45 games in the league for bloody Millwall last season. That's about as good as it gets in this league.

Other teams around us haven't brought in 50m for their 4 best players.

Saville is worse than everyone of our current midfielders bar Wing. Yet we are blowing money on a well stocked position with gaping holes in the squad.

Of course it's depressing.

We're still in the Championship. We're a second tier club. We can't make players join us. We tried with the big money winger from the Prem and he chose to go elsewhere. We're not especially attractive to players above Championship level hence why we are signing one of the better midfielders from last season.

I'll agree that I would be looking at those positions too, but we did try to sign the most exciting wingback in Bryan and we have just signed McQueen who is getting rave reviews by almost every Southampton fan. Wingers? I can't really name an exciting pacey championship winger. If reports are true we were in for Philips who is about as good as it gets in this league. 

I'm not trying to absolve the club of blame here for past windows, but it's been a fairly weird window this with the shorter deadline for permanent transfers and domestic clubs hanging onto their players because they don't want to be left short. There really hasn't been many exciting transfers. In fact I can only think of two that I would call exciting and that the portuguese lad at Forest and Bolasie to Villa (which is mostly down to his previous fee and wages).

Don’t see the clamour to sign him... personally think he is overrated just because he is at Chelsea

This. He was decent but fairly one dimensional at Bristol and absolutely terrible at Swansea in the Prem.

Villa certainly seem to have sorted out their financial woes pretty swiftly.

(Two months ago they seemed to be going bust. Now they're making signing after signing... without offloading their top players)?

Seems odd.

I have no idea what's going on there. I've read a few things saying that they are basically gambling on this season as they can't be financially punished or embargoed until the end of the year regardless, no idea if it's true but it seems plausible given how up sh*t creek they were only 2 months ago.

Yep have heard the same. it's basically up or bust for Villa.

Thinking about it.... Maybe the new billionaire owners are just counting on FFP fines as being part of the cost of acquisition. Like... "Meh, £40 million, £40 schmillion fine. Let's just crack on".

They pay the fine, and carry on as they want to.

Can they do that? Or would they the get transfer embargoes?

As far as I know there's no points deductions?

This. He was decent but fairly one dimensional at Bristol and absolutely terrible at Swansea in the Prem.

Villa certainly seem to have sorted out their financial woes pretty swiftly.

(Two months ago they seemed to be going bust. Now they're making signing after signing... without offloading their top players)?

Seems odd.

I have no idea what's going on there. I've read a few things saying that they are basically gambling on this season as they can't be financially punished or embargoed until the end of the year regardless, no idea if it's true but it seems plausible given how up sh*t creek they were only 2 months ago.

Yep have heard the same. it's basically up or bust for Villa.

Thinking about it.... Maybe the new billionaire owners are just counting on FFP fines as being part of the cost of acquisition. Like... "Meh, £40 million, £40 schmillion fine. Let's just crack on".

They pay the fine, and carry on as they want to.

Can they do that? Or would they the get transfer embargoes?

As far as I know there's no points deductions?

I think the EFL have opened up the possibility of a points deduction before the end of the season after the QPR settlement earlier this year. In reality I don't think there is much chance of that so a transfer embargo and a fine is probably more likely if they break the rules. If they go up it won't matter though as the Prem don't care.

I just love how Dr. Tony came out and was like "We risked a lot, it didn't pay off, we're going to have to cut back"... and instead they find new investors so they can risk a lot and hope it pays off again. They're doubling down, they clearly thought they weren't far off making it back last time round and think one more season of stability and spending is worth the risk. And maybe it will be. But surely if it isn't, it has to have the effect required that them going hell for leather again should and they need to be given a punishment worthy of that decision.

We're a championship team. How many exciting players have been signed by other teams? Sure Forest signed an expensive portuguese player and villa have signed Bolasie but it's not like it's been hugely exciting for teams around us has it? Saville is a good Championship player who's just turned 25 and scored 10 goals in 45 games in the league for bloody Millwall last season. That's about as good as it gets in this league.

Other teams around us haven't brought in 50m for their 4 best players.

Saville is worse than everyone of our current midfielders bar Wing. Yet we are blowing money on a well stocked position with gaping holes in the squad.

Of course it's depressing.

I'll agree that I would be looking at those positions too, but we did try to sign the most exciting wingback in Bryan and we have just signed McQueen who is getting rave reviews by almost every Southampton fan. Wingers? I can't really name an exciting pacey championship winger. If reports are true we were in for Philips who is about as good as it gets in this league. 

I'm not trying to absolve the club of blame here for past windows, but it's been a fairly weird window this with the shorter deadline for permanent transfers and domestic clubs hanging onto their players because they don't want to be left short. There really hasn't been many exciting transfers. In fact I can only think of two that I would call exciting and that the portuguese lad at Forest and Bolasie to Villa (which is mostly down to his previous fee and wages).

I texted a Southampton mate about McQueen this morning. He said that McQueen had a good start, and they were excited about him. He's good going forwards, but they found he could be suspect defensively. He reckons McQueen well be a great signing for us, if we spend most of the season pushing forwards!

If Fletcher was going to go, he was probably going to Sheffield United based on what we've read. And that door might be closing because it looks like they're about to sign Conor Washington after QPR terminated his contract by mutual consent.

Honestly, right now I'd probably prefer we let Gestede go and keep Fletcher out of the two.

Reading Millwall fans’ views on Saville is slightly worrying. A lot seem to feel that he does a good job for them but that he isn’t a player that is going to get us up. This is just one tweet, but seems to be the general consensus of Millwall fans:

“Good player for us but if Boro really wanna reach the premier league, poor signing, who won’t get near their first team! But good luck to him.”