oneBoro Forum

Summer Transfer Window 2018.

People are assuming the type of player pullis wants they are assuming the type of football he will play they are assuming how much input he has in signings

I’m looking forward to seeing what he actually does not what people assume

At least two of those assumptions are based on a fairly lengthy career in the game.  Do you think he's likely to try something new all of a sudden?

You could say the assumptions are based on keeping small teams in the premiership, getting a big team promoted is a different set of circumstances.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People are assuming the type of player pullis wants they are assuming the type of football he will play they are assuming how much input he has in signings

I’m looking forward to seeing what he actually does not what people assume

At least two of those assumptions are based on a fairly lengthy career in the game.  Do you think he's likely to try something new all of a sudden?

You could say the assumptions are based on keeping small teams in the premiership, getting a big team promoted is a different set of circumstances.

The Stoke team he got promoted were no different to any of those teams.  We weren't any different last season under him either.

Thats more comparable to Warnock getting cardiff promoted than for example Bruce trying to get Villa promoted. Both different circumstances, Cardiff were never favourites and neither were stoke.

Flint is a good CB at this level. Prem class? There's only one way to truly find out, so hard to say.

Not as mobile as Gibson though. He'd be a great partner to a defender like Gibson, butbalogside Ayala? Id be a little concerned about a lack of athleticism in that partnership.

The thing is do people think Flint is good because hes a good defender or because he gets a lot of goals for a defender?

He's a unit. Very powerful and doesn't shy out of strong challenges - reads the game well too, so despite not being the most mobile he gets himself into good positions to close off options and areas. Obviously good in the air, which is why he gets goals.

Watched him a fair bit at Swindon and Bristol. Swindon had some good young lads when he was there, so peaked my interest a bit then.

I've wanted him at Boro since then... But always saw him as a partner as oppose to replacement for Gibson, especially if alongside Ayala.

I'm the same. I've followed Flint for a few years, and I think he's excellent. I'd love us to sign him. I reckon he could cut it in the PL too.... if we did go up - But time will tell on that one I guess.

Thats more comparable to Warnock getting cardiff promoted than for example Bruce trying to get Villa promoted. Both different circumstances, Cardiff were never favourites and neither were stoke.

He's spent his entire career setting up teams to play a certain way.  He did it last season with us after he got the job when we could have quite easily done something different with the players he had available.  I can't really understand why there's a debate about it?  Surely it's pretty obvious what we'll be doing this coming season?

He's spent his entire career setting up teams to play a certain way.  He did it last season with us after he got the job when we could have quite easily done something different with the players he had available.  I can't really understand why there's a debate about it?  Surely it's pretty obvious what we'll be doing this coming season?

But at Palace he didnt

Pulis won't change the way he plays with us. As CT says, he did it last season with us and that's with a squad of players he didn't even assemble, he's not going to change that. And realistically he shouldn't anyway. The whole point I'm backing him is because he actually knows how to do what he wants to do to a good standard. If you tasked Pulis with creating a stylish brand of football, he might not be as clueless as Monk was thanks to his experience in the game but it would still be a setback as he just doesn't realistically know how to do that effectively. He's here because of his experience so we may as well use that.

I thought we may have heard something regarding McNairs transfer by now, how long do they deals take?

Depends. He could be on holiday, we could be negotiating wages/bonuses/agent fees... we may not have even opened formal talks with him yet. He may want time to mull over his best move.

There's a whole host of reasons why deals aren't completed in a matter of a few days.

I thought we may have heard something regarding McNairs transfer by now, how long do they deals take?

He might still be on holiday, or maybe the negotiations are just taking a few days.

Edit: What Snowblind said.

Well if there are Prem teams interested you can understand him for wanting to wait a bit to see his options and whether they are coming in with a bid or not. I'm sure we are also working on other targets so it's also a gamble from his side because he could end up staying at Sunderland if he waits too long.

Jason Steele is somehow close to securing a move to the Premier League with Brighton. Even though it's only as backup you've gotta question whether that is the backup you want to potentially play in the Prem. Good move for the lad though.

Jason Steele is somehow close to securing a move to the Premier League with Brighton. Even though it's only as backup you've gotta question whether that is the backup you want to potentially play in the Prem. Good move for the lad though.

Yeah great place to live, one of the nicest cities in the UK, I bet he can’t wait to get out of Sunderland.