oneBoro Forum

New Manager

I just want to see us play exciting football tbh. The closest we've come over the past few years was Karanka's first full season in the championship and even that was hardly riveting compared to the Bournemouth and Watford sides we were competing against.

I think Pulis could probably take us up and he's got a good track record of keeping clubs in the top flight, but I'm not sure I'd want that at any cost. Things have quite rapidly turned sour at Stoke and West Brom following Pulis' departure. I get the feeling that whatever changes he'd make to the playing squad and behind the scenes would prove beneficial to him and not his successor. He's not here for the long term, why are we letting him plan as though he is?

I’m not quite sure what you mean by long term. When have we ever had a long term manager lately and what legacy have they left ? Football now does not allow long term managers, especially at a club like ours. So we get a Jokanovic / Silva type who may or may not get us playing expansive free flowing football. How long do you think he will stay when bigger clubs come knocking. Pulis managed to polish a turd. One dimensional footballers, lacking pace, dynamism and skill. Surprise surprise the football was plodding one dimensional. As a boro fan I cant say the last 6 months were worse than what we have been served up for years. I’m in the glass half full camp and think with the addition of Pulis players we will have a good season. As for the behind the scenes stuff, after the experiment with Orta and catastrophe of Monk we need someone with experience to assess what we have in the scouting, coaching and sport science departments. When he came Pulis said part of his brief was to assess this stuff, not implement anything unless someone can show me different.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say it was a terrible time by any means but I still don't agree with the idea that Mowbray with money inevitably equals success or even at the very least that it would be better than continuing with Pulis. Said it before, he said he was happy with his side in his last season and after navigating the team through a tough financial period, he was ready to give it a go properly and he failed.

Means absolutely nothing that he said that. Mowbray would never be the type to publically criticise or make excuses (hence why we heard the genetic it is what it is so often) for failure to reach targets but there was no way he was happy with having a spine of Steele, McManus, Bailey and McDonald. No way. He just had to deal with it because of the silly contracts they were on from the gs2 era

I don’t think Pulis should be manager with a one year contract as it will affect our ability to sign players. Who is going to sign a 3 year agreement if the manager leaves after 1? We saw how damaging that can be for Monk’s signings this year (albeit many were rubbish). I am not totally against him, and am fine if that is the direction Gibbo wants, but god I’d like to see us try and play some passing and attacking play - it’s not impossible, look at Bournemouth, Southampton, Watford, even Swansea when promoted. We may as well try and play some football and actually enjoy the odd game when failing rather than have another season like this. We’re not going to win the Premiership, so I’d settle for good football and a cup run.

I'm not really sure what legacy Pulis will leave behind after he's gone, I don't think it's guaranteed that he's gonna leave an irreparable mess like some seem to be suggesting.

I had a look on the Stoke forum and quite a few of their fans said their best ever time of watching Stoke was under Pulis, the alternative view was that their best spell was when Hughes added a sprinkling of flair to Pulis's team the following season. None of that suggests he destroyed their club.

How did he leave Palace when he left? I can't remember but I remember him having a pretty decent last season with them.

As for West Brom I look at their squad and there's absolutely no way that should have been relegated. Compare their squad to Huddersfield and it's miles better.

Do i think he'll play negative football? Yes.

Do I think he be looking at signing big, strong powerful players? Yes.

Do I think we'll discover the next Gaston Ramirez or even try to sign that type of player? No.

Do I think he's gonna leave the club in a mess after he's left? No of course not. The next manager will come in with a well drilled, physically strong team. I think he'll leave the next manager a strong base to work from.

I'm not really sure what legacy Pulis will leave behind after he's gone, I don't think it's guaranteed that he's gonna leave an irreparable mess like some seem to be suggesting.

I had a look on the Stoke forum and quite a few of their fans said their best ever time of watching Stoke was under Pulis, the alternative view was that their best spell was when Hughes added a sprinkling of flair to Pulis's team the following season. None of that suggests he destroyed their club.

How did he leave Palace when he left? I can't remember but I remember him having a pretty decent last season with them.

As for West Brom I look at their squad and there's absolutely no way that should have been relegated. Compare their squad to Huddersfield and it's miles better.

Do i think he'll play negative football? Yes.

Do I think he be looking at signing big, strong powerful players? Yes.

Do I think we'll discover the next Gaston Ramirez or even try to sign that type of player? No.

Do I think he's gonna leave the club in a mess after he's left? No of course not. The next manager will come in with a well drilled, physically strong team. I think he'll leave the next manager a strong base to work from.

Excellent post. Agree 100%

must have been redirected .... thought this was the Boro supporters forum..... give the bloke a chance....winning is the game... winning well is a bonus

The aim of playing football is to win the game

The aim of being a football club is to make fans part with their cash in return for being entertained.

I don't get this obsession with winning at all costs. The ceiling under Pulis is 40 points in the PL and being last on MOTD every week.

I belive we should take a break for a couple of weeks to think things through. I can’t blame Pulis for the crap we played it was down to an over rated expensive team. I don’t blame Pulis he did well to get us in the play offs, but neither do I belive he is our future. I don’t think we will be investing again, the chance went, we blow it. Next season we will be grinding it out and personally, if we measure ourselves against Wolves it’s where we belong.

must have been redirected .... thought this was the Boro supporters forum..... give the bloke a chance....winning is the game... winning well is a bonus

The aim of being a football club is to make fans part with their cash in return for being entertained.

I don't get this obsession with winning at all costs. The ceiling under Pulis is 40 points in the PL and being last on MOTD every week.

Is the ceiling of the club much higher than that? Let's face it if we go up we're probably going to be making up the numbers regardless of who's the manager.

We could have an absolutely freak season like Burnley but let's face it Dyche's style is in the same mould to Pulis's.

The dream is to emulate Bournemouth's style but I think finding a manager who can do that will be difficult. If we can find a manager with a track record of playing entertaining football while achieving results then I say go for him and make a change.

If it not everyone we go for will be a gamble. People have said Mowbray, id love to see how he got on with money behind him but I think while he could potentially take us up playing great football I think equally he could have us struggling in mid-table.

If we want to take a gamble like that then let's go for it, the question is will the fans support an entertaining mid table championship team if it doesn't work out? I watched some great entertaining games under Mowbray last time but the ground had about 15k fans in it.

History says the fan base will turn up when the team is winning rather than entertaining. It's alright all us wanting to gamble on an internet forum it's Gibson who'll have to fund the club if the gamble doesn't work and 10k fans disappear.

We don’t win that’s the point!

Is the ceiling of the club much higher than that? Let's face it if we go up we're probably going to be making up the numbers regardless of who's the manager.

We could have an absolutely freak season like Burnley but let's face it Dyche's style is in the same mould to Pulis's.

The dream is to emulate Bournemouth's style but I think finding a manager who can do that will be difficult. If we can find a manager with a track record of playing entertaining football while achieving results then I say go for him and make a change.

If it not everyone we go for will be a gamble. People have said Mowbray, id love to see how he got on with money behind him but I think while he could potentially take us up playing great football I think equally he could have us struggling in mid-table.

If we want to take a gamble like that then let's go for it, the question is will the fans support an entertaining mid table championship team if it doesn't work out? I watched some great entertaining games under Mowbray last time but the ground had about 15k fans in it.

History says the fan base will turn up when the team is winning rather than entertaining. It's alright all us wanting to gamble on an internet forum it's Gibson who'll have to fund the club if the gamble doesn't work and 10k fans disappear.

I think you are probably right all on points there.

I think the ceiling for us realistically is emulating Bournemouth. Not only being an established PL side but doing it with some style and hope for decent cup runs.

I've always disliked Pulis in his previous roles for always saying 40 points is our target, then when his teams achieve that, they basically mentally check out. It's all about survival. 

I guess there is no right or wrong answer, but i guess some fans want substance and some want style and most football teams are looking for somewhere in between the two.

As a Boro fan living in London, when i meet people and I tell them i'm a Boro fan, they always mention the same three names from the same team, Juninho, Emerson and Ravanelli. The team that got relegated. Everybody remembers that team, nobody remembers Karanka's PL team. 

I'd rather have more seasons like that the 96/97 one than the days where we finished 13th and having a quick glance over our shoulder mid-season and that be that.

I think the ceiling for us realistically is emulating Bournemouth. Not only being an established PL side but doing it with some style and hope for decent cup runs.

I've always disliked Pulis in his previous roles for always saying 40 points is our target, then when his teams achieve that, they basically mentally check out. It's all about survival. 

I guess there is no right or wrong answer, but i guess some fans want substance and some want style and most football teams are looking for somewhere in between the two.

As a Boro fan living in London, when i meet people and I tell them i'm a Boro fan, they always mention the same three names from the same team, Juninho, Emerson and Ravanelli. The team that got relegated. Everybody remembers that team, nobody remembers Karanka's PL team. 

I'd rather have more seasons like that the 96/97 one than the days where we finished 13th and having a quick glance over our shoulder mid-season and that be that.

Yeah I agree with all that, the goal should be playing like Bournemouth with the odd cup run thrown in.

The problem is Eddie Howe was able to build that team over a few years with absolutely no pressure on him whatsoever.

Even if he's on the verge of relegation in the Premier league his jobs still not on the line.

A manager here has got the past hanging over his head, you mentioned the Juninho era that was unbelievable but those days are never coming back. At that time we had the money to buy one of the best young players in the world and a striker from Juventus who scored in the champions league final. We simply don't have the money to bring those days back.

I feel like for a certain element of fans that era will always be the benchmark, some fans didn't know any different than a sold out Riverside and internationals playing for us.

There's is pressure here to get promoted because most fans don't see us as a championship team, throw in the pressure to play entertaining football as well and I think Gibson is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

You're not local are you Prowler?

It doesn’t matter where Prowler lives, Mowbray’s management was terrible, square pegs and it is what it is, I wouldn’t want to go back to those days, no more jobs for the boys, please.

I didn't think anyone with a close connection to the area would react that way to someone who clearly loves the club and wants the best for the area. Maybe i'm wrong.

I don't agree with your assessment of his time here either but that's for another day.

Yeah I agree with all that, the goal should be playing like Bournemouth with the odd cup run thrown in.

The problem is Eddie Howe was able to build that team over a few years with absolutely no pressure on him whatsoever.

Even if he's on the verge of relegation in the Premier league his jobs still not on the line.

A manager here has got the past hanging over his head, you mentioned the Juninho era that was unbelievable but those days are never coming back. At that time we had the money to buy one of the best young players in the world and a striker from Juventus who scored in the champions league final. We simply don't have the money to bring those days back.

I feel like for a certain element of fans that era will always be the benchmark, some fans didn't know any different than a sold out Riverside and internationals playing for us.

There's is pressure here to get promoted because most fans don't see us as a championship team, throw in the pressure to play entertaining football as well and I think Gibson is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I know those days aren't coming back in that form, but i think if we were to play a certain style etc, then we would be memorable for the right reasons still. Spot on about Eddie Howe, he did time and no pressure to turn things around. I think there is a lot to be said of sticking with managers like Howe and i'm loathed to say Dyche when things in the short term aren't going our way. 

I just want us to find our Howe, Dyche equivalent and to back that guy and grow with them as a club/team. Without going over old ground, I thought Karanka was that person for awhile.  I just can't get behind Pulis. He has a short term mentality. Also, my worry with him is all that stuff that happened with Palace, I don't think he is overly loyal or honest either. 

Gibson is massively stuck in a rock and a hard place, it's a tough ask.