• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Apparently it’s ok to use your hands if it’s due to your own incompetence. How was that not a penalty for Nigeria. Rojo simply misjudged the ball.

Apparently it’s ok to use your hands if it’s due to your own incompetence. How was that not a penalty for Nigeria. Rojo simply misjudged the ball.

Because it wasn’t a deliberate handball

Handballs are very seldom deliberate. He hit the ball with his arm because he misjudged the flight of the ball. These decisions are often a coin flip and hadn’t the ref already given Nigeria a pen he probably would have here. It wasn’t a shot from close range but because of his incompetence.

Handballs are very seldom deliberate. He hit the ball with his arm because he misjudged the flight of the ball. These decisions are often a coin flip and hadn’t the ref already given Nigeria a pen he probably would have here. It wasn’t a shot from close range but because of his incompetence.

There was literally none of the things that refs look for to decide if it was deliberate. His hand was in a natural position considering he was jumping and there was no movement from his arm towards the ball.

There was literally none of the things that refs look for to decide if it was deliberate. His hand was in a natural position considering he was jumping and there was no movement from his arm towards the ball.

I’m just puzzled because they are given time and time again. I have no idea what they are looking for. Just look at the penalty Denmark conceded against Australia. And that was also reviewed through VAR. it’s just random decisions.

I think if it was anywhere else on the pitch it would have been given for handball which makes it a penalty for me.

One thing I have noticed this world cup, the players behaviours have been shocking towards the referees

Every time a player appeals and makes the VAR gesture it should be an instant yellow card. It was a mistake to introduce it in such a huge tournament with so many poor referees and when only very few leagues have introduced it.

Thing that bugs me is that the players and coaches don't seem to have a clue how it works. The full kit ***ers in Moscow are constantly monitoring incidents and work together to inform the referee if there is something worth looking at. There is absolutely no value in anyone approaching the official on the pitch because he doesn't tell anybody to check an incident, they tell him if it's worth looking at. They're trying to influence absolutely nothing.

I'm also not bothered about the introduction of it in the World Cup. From my point of view, VAR isn't proving or disproving technology. A referee having a closer, 2nd look at an incident should never be seen as a bad thing if we want the right decision to be made and I would probably say the majority of VAR decisions have been correct. What it does do is it allows us to accurately judge the calls referees make and judge their suitability.

If a referee goes to watch a handball decision that by the letter of the law shouldn't be a handball and he gives it as handball, that's not the failure of the technology. That's the failure of the referee. Instead of the usual 'the referee has the toughest job on the pitch' comment, we are now in a position to judge them because we're creating a level playing field between us watching the different angles and in slow motion and the referee now being able to do the same. In these situations, they can no longer be excused for getting it wrong and nor should they.

It's been implemented much better in the world cup than it was in the FA cup where there would be 3 minutes pause every time something is reviewed. There's still plenty of improvements to be made on it, like when they only give the ref one angle to look at...