oneBoro Forum

World Cup 2018

Don’t you think your mind set would be very different if you needed one goal or if you needed two

They hadn't scored any goals in 92 mins of play.  They then didn't score any goals in the rest of the time allowed.  Their mindset throughout the game was that they needed to score and they hadn't achieved it.

If only it was that simple eh. We could save time and the ref could just stop the game on 70mins and say no lads it’s not going to happen let’s go home

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Don’t you think your mind set would be very different if you needed one goal or if you needed two

They hadn't scored any goals in 92 mins of play.  They then didn't score any goals in the rest of the time allowed.  Their mindset throughout the game was that they needed to score and they hadn't achieved it.

If only it was that simple eh. We could save time and the ref could just stop the game on 70mins and say no lads it’s not going to happen let’s go home

That’s a beautifully crafted strawman you have there.

A good win for Brazil, last night, but if VAR had stuck its big beaky nose in, the goals might have been disallowed which would have encouraged Serbia to score, thus depriving the competition of its most glamorous team. ;)

Everyone likes to see an underdog win, but come on, let’s face it, nobody wanted to watch Cardiff v Portsmouth in the FA cup final.

A good win for Brazil, last night, but if VAR had stuck its big beaky nose in, the goals might have been disallowed which would have encouraged Serbia to score, thus depriving the competition of its most glamorous team. ;)

Everyone likes to see an underdog win, but come on, let’s face it, nobody wanted to watch Cardiff v Portsmouth in the FA cup final.

I think you might find that fans of Cardiff and Portsmouth might beg to differ Billy

That’s a beautifully crafted strawman you have there.

Ha ha. You love that term ...

unless I’m missing the point(quite possible)

Wilson said the result could have been different if it wasn’t for var. ct didn’t think it would have been so var hadn’t made a difference to Germany.

The point being you can’t say it wouldn’t have made a difference it very well could have done. If we could be that sure it wouldn’t make a difference we could just stop the game.

Not exactly straw corn or wheat

I think you might find that fans of Cardiff and Portsmouth might beg to differ Billy

They would of course have been the obvious exceptions. When Greece won the Euro’s a lot of people were fairly aghast,

Everyone likes to see an underdog win, but come on, let’s face it, nobody wanted to watch Cardiff v  Portsmouth in the FA cup final.

They would of course have been the obvious exceptions. When Greece won the Euro’s a lot of people were fairly aghast,

I remember being a really happy 15 year old kid in 92 :P

Indeed. I had a spreadbet on Greece to go out in the first round.... which went horribly wrong!!

If only it was that simple eh.  We could save time and the ref could just stop the game on 70mins and say no lads it’s not going to happen let’s go home

Yeah he could have stopped the game on 70 mins and the Germans would have scored the exact same amount of goals as they'd scored after 1 min,  at 92 mins and at the end of the game.  Zero.

All kinds of things 'could' happen.  The game could be abandoned because a massive sinkhole appears.  Germany could have scored three goals in injury time and won the game.  What actually happened though was that Germany didn't score a goal at any point in the game and the the team that looked most likely to score (and did score) won the game.

Boro could win the Premier League title next season but the likelihood of it happening is pretty small.  I assumed we were talking about likely outcomes not any possible outcome?  The most likely outcome of the game yesterday was Germany not scoring a goal because they hadn't in the 91 mins before the VAR incident and they didn't in the final few minutes after it.  I'm fairly sure that was Will's point and it sounds about right to me.

Kane apparently rested for tonight, Vardy starts.

It sounded like he wanted to use a few other players to keep more people involved.  There might be more space for Vardy to use his pace in fairness.

Kane apparently rested for tonight, Vardy starts.

It sounded like he wanted to use a few other players to keep more people involved.  There might be more space for Vardy to use his pace in fairness.

Certainly, Dier and Vardy (both reported to be starting) are very well suited to this game. Vardy always better against the top teams and Dier offers a little bit more solidity.

Fair enough. It was my gut feeling that the VAR goal finished the Germans off, I felt based on a few factors that they would have eventually scored had the game remained level, namely the historical evidence of Germany not getting knocked out at the first hurdle since 1938 when there wasn't even a group stage and the late winners from both Germany in their last group game and Argentina the night before, the jammy gets always find a way to make it through and surely as a team, you carry that with you to the final minute. Perhaps it's not the most logical way of looking at it, after all, that goal was not literally the difference between Germany staying in and going out because a draw was enough to do that and they didn't score in the full game until that point. But that was my feeling on the game and you're both entirely welcome to feel differently about it.