oneBoro Forum

World Cup 2018

Again, there's no doubt what he did was behind their backs (how many of you have ever told your current boss that you're interviewing for another job by the way?), its just the biggest international tournament in the world, 2 days before your first game, you'd rather wing it with somebody who you think you can trust but hasn't got a clue how to manage the first team than think "Right, well this is a *** situation but if we want a chance of winning, we need to keep him on board until the World Cup finishes".

I mean, stranger things have happened, Di Matteo won the Champions League with Chelsea despite barely having the credentials to manage a team in that competition. And the Spanish team is still just about in that era of collective talent that means the manager doesn't mean that much. But if the manager doesn't mean that much, why even bother hiring one? Why even bother giving it to Hierro for the World Cup when the players are apparently good enough on their own? Could have just gave it to Iniesta for the tournament if they're not that bothered.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Yeah it all depends on the players mindset for Spain, if the players were happy with the manager you'd think it would have been worth letting him carry on.

From the reports I've heard it sounds like a number of players wanted him to stay so you've got to think it's gonna have an impact.

Again, there's no doubt what he did was behind their backs (how many of you have ever told your current boss that you're interviewing for another job by the way?), its just the biggest international tournament in the world, 2 days before your first game, you'd rather wing it with somebody who you think you can trust but hasn't got a clue how to manage the first team than think "Right, well this is a *** situation but if we want a chance of winning, we need to keep him on board until the World Cup finishes".

It all depends on your position in a company.

If you are top level management or on the board of a company, you do have to declare that you are applying for another post. I imagine it’s a similar situation with the national manager.

Saudi have made Russia look good, as a team they would struggle to stay in our first division. You have to question how a team as limited as the Saudis can be in a supposedly World Cup when much better teams in Europe and South America cannot qualify due to the nonsensical regional system. Good to see the hosts winning though as it makes for a better tournament.

Saudis are 3 places ahead of Russia in the FIFA rankings.

Those things are not worth the time they take to calculate.

Saudis are 3 places ahead of Russia in the FIFA rankings.

Those things are not worth the time they take to calculate.

Probably because Russia haven’t played a competitive match in two years. Or were they even at Euro16? Don’t think friendly matches earn you as many points on the rankings. That said the rankings is usually a bit daft.

Saudi have made Russia look good, as a team they would struggle to stay in our first division. You have to question how a team as limited as the Saudis can be in a supposedly World Cup when much better teams in Europe and South America cannot qualify due to the nonsensical regional system. Good to see the hosts winning though as it makes for a better tournament.

Yeah it's a travesty that Saudi are there at the expense of a top footballing nation like Scotland  :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

I prefer regional representation. I'd rather the World Cup keep its proportional representation of countries from, y'know, around the World. Europe still accounts for 13/14 teams in the tournament (depending on host) despite the regional contributions so they still have more than any other region.

I'd also question how you'd do qualifications if it was a worldwide free for all.

I prefer regional representation. I'd rather the World Cup keep its proportional representation of countries from, y'know, around the World. Europe still accounts for 13/14 teams in the tournament (depending on host) despite the regional contributions so they still have more than any other region.

I'd also question how you'd do qualifications if it was a worldwide free for all.

Bribery?  :whistle:

When the number of teams expand to 48 the extra will come from across the globe and not just, as it should be, allow those who just missed out a place in the finals. You are therefore looking at a scenario of Asia having three more places so in effect three worse teams than Saudi Arabia, surely that cannot be good for the competition. Sadly the world cup is now just about FIFA and it's need to fill it's pockets.