• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

I'm all for the application of technology to support the referees. They're there to apply the rules and they need more support to do that with greater accuracy.

However... that VAR review showed the referee two angles of the challenge. Neither of which angle showed the touch from the defender. Almost like it was intentionally avoiding the front on angle. The referee awards the penalty correctly from the views he has been shown. But they didn't show him the right ones clearly.

And in the time I've written this, VAR confirms a penalty at the other end. Justice done? Maybe but you could argue Australia should be 1 up now.

I'm all for the application of technology to support the referees. They're there to apply the rules and they need more support to do that with greater accuracy.

However... that VAR review showed the referee two angles of the challenge. Neither of which angle showed the touch from the defender. Almost like it was intentionally avoiding the front on angle. The referee awards the penalty correctly from the views he has been shown. But they didn't show him the right ones clearly.

And in the time I've written this, VAR confirms a penalty at the other end. Justice done? Maybe but you could argue Australia should be 1 up now.

Even if there was a touch the ball was still under Griezmann’s control, therefore still a foul, no?

Even if there was a touch the ball was still under Griezmann’s control, therefore still a foul, no?

No, he went down far too easily, VAR really doesn’t help at all.

Griezmann? I’d love to see anyone carry on running after they’re ankle has been clipped like that.

I honestly didn’t see any meaningful contact from the two camera angles that I saw, it was also wired that Umtitipunched the ball clear and didn’t even get booked.

The trouble with VAR is that it’s open to interpretation, it’s a very fine line between going down easily, diving or having the right to go down, both Griezmann today and Ronaldo yesterday bought those penalties.

I think both could have carried on and would have, if they had been anywhere else on the pitch.

Still it’s a game of opinions.

That's a blanket statement and frankly untrue. It provides an opportunity for the referee to re-watch and judge properly the incidents that were difficult to call in real-time.

As I said, my issue is with the angles he was shown. But perhaps Will can expand on what he said, maybe I'm wrong as I thought he was reviewing the contact or lack thereof which the two angles he was shown did not show to him. My view of it is the ball is kicked against Griezmann, the ball is away from him and the follow through is where the contact is made. If we awarded a penalty for every follow-through challenge after winning the ball, defenders might as well stop tackling in the box.

Sometimes certain decisions will be subjective even with VAR, two of us might watch a penalty call a thousand times and still not agree.

As Wilson says VAR has been brought in to allow the referee more time to make his decision. Sometimes we've just got to accept the refs decision whether we like it or not.

Sometimes certain decisions will be subjective even with VAR, two of us might watch a penalty call a thousand times and still not agree.

As Wilson says VAR has been brought in to allow the referee more time to make his decision. Sometimes we've just got to accept the refs decision whether we like it or not.

Well I refuse to accept it and I’m putting the result down as a one all draw on my wallchart. ;)