• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. 7-8 games inside the first month. The players better be ready! Barring Birmingham it looks like a pretty tough opening for us. Could be left with some catching up.

I was thinking apart from West Brom looks pretty good.

If we want promotion we should be beating teams like Bristol, Sheff U & Millwall. No reason we shouldn't be towards the top of the league after first month

Those are all teams we had trouble with last season and they were in and around the play offs. I know its a new season and all that but they will be looking to build on a strong season.

True but I can't see any of them challenging for the top 2 spots this year - which is where we are aiming for - if we struggle early on it'll be looking like a long old season again

I feel like the only way we are going to get promoted is by being solid, hard to beat and extremely consistant.

We're more likely to replicate Cardiff than Wolves and a key to that is starting well.

With us having a tough start I think it's more important to get our transfer business sorted as early as possible. We don't want to be spending the first 10 games playing our way into form.

I'll say the same thing I said last season, which I think turned out to be true. We're not going to win or lose promotion in the first month of the season. Things don't really take any kind of shape until a quarter of the fixtures are out of the way and you only realistically know who some of the significant challengers are at the mid-way point. The league is the long haul. It's getting most of the results you'd expect and some of the results you need. Every game is important in a promotion run but we will inevitably be put in positions where some results are more important because of where the opposition are placed relative to us and those relative differences will be determined throughout the course of the season, not in the first month.

Having said that, Pulis is probably going into this season under more pressure than any of our previous managers in this division since '09. He's ultimately not going to play football which is easy on the eye and with a squad he's put together himself, he's going to need to prove he can be effective in spite of that or the daggers will come at him thick and fast. I'm so glad that the window will close before the first home game as that means Pulis can be judged with his squad earlier. Going into the first international break, we should see the beginnings of his effectiveness coming together.

Good start , hopefully Millwall give us a decent allocation and I can get a ticket. Got a mate who is a member at Millwall and can get me a ticket but not sure I fancy sitting in their end!!

Wow. 7-8 games inside the first month. The players better be ready! Barring Birmingham it looks like a pretty tough opening for us. Could be left with some catching up.

One of the benefits of the  window closing early is that we should at least have the squad we need by then.

Good start , hopefully Millwall give us a decent allocation and  I can get a ticket. Got a mate who is a member at Millwall and can get me a ticket but not sure I fancy sitting in their end!!

...or you'd better start practicing your 'Saaf London' accent.

I'll say the same thing I said last season, which I think turned out to be true. We're not going to win or lose promotion in the first month of the season. Things don't really take any kind of shape until a quarter of the fixtures are out of the way and you only realistically know who some of the significant challengers are at the mid-way point. The league is the long haul. It's getting most of the results you'd expect and some of the results you need. Every game is important in a promotion run but we will inevitably be put in positions where some results are more important because of where the opposition are placed relative to us and those relative differences will be determined throughout the course of the season, not in the first month.

Having said that, Pulis is probably going into this season under more pressure than any of our previous managers in this division since '09. He's ultimately not going to play football which is easy on the eye and with a squad he's put together himself, he's going to need to prove he can be effective in spite of that or the daggers will come at him thick and fast. I'm so glad that the window will close before the first home game as that means Pulis can be judged with his squad earlier. Going into the first international break, we should see the beginnings of his effectiveness coming together.

Agree with the points about Pulis being under pressure this season, I also agree that the league isn't won or lost in August.

However, I think the fact that we play 5 games in August means that we really could steal a march on teams if we start well. I expect the relegated teams to have lots of changes to their starting lineups and may take a bit of time to adjust to the league.

In contrast to that if we start poorly I think the pressure will ramp up very quickly on the manager and players. Its only my opinion but I dont see a Pulis team doing a Fulham over half a season, I think if it's gonna work we'll need to be consistent from start to finish like Cardiff were under Warnock.

A couple of Wednesday evening home games listed. I thought we always played Tuesdays, ( unless a weekend fixture changed to a Sunday)? Wonder if this is a deliberate policy to see if better for some fans. Or any there any Championship games midweek on TV?

Good start , hopefully Millwall give us a decent allocation and  I can get a ticket. Got a mate who is a member at Millwall and can get me a ticket but not sure I fancy sitting in their end!!

...or you'd better start practicing your 'Saaf London' accent.

Not sure that will help much when I cheer Peter Crouch's first goal in a Boro shirt!

Best practice my running as well!

A couple of Wednesday evening home games listed. I thought we always played Tuesdays, ( unless a weekend fixture changed to a Sunday)? Wonder if this is a deliberate policy to see if better for some fans. Or any there any Championship games midweek on TV?

Every Championship midweek game is on Sky this season via the red button.

Every Championship midweek game is on Sky this season via the red button.

Really???? That's incredible news, how did that one get past me?