oneBoro Forum

Belgium v England (3rd Place Play-Off)

Big problem for England good going wide but nobody in midfield who can open up a defence, totally outplayed, can't remember us having a worthwhile shot.

Dier had one cleared off the line.  Kane should have scored or certainly hit the target.

Courtois could have thrown his cap on most of our goal efforts and Kane's attempt was woeful, he had another poor game.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question, did we flatter to deceive this tournament?

Last 2 games certainly seems to be back to the age old problems surrounding England.

And is Gary Neville right when he mentioned something may come out later about Kane, was he carried along and only played because there was no-one else.

Last 2 games certainly seems to be back to the age old problems surrounding England.

And is Gary Neville right when he mentioned something may come out later about Kane, was he carried along and only played because there was no-one else.

Southgate got it spot on. He said we finished fourth be we aren’t a top four team yet.

I think he made the most out of the squad he had or near enough.  We can always quibble about individual selections and I think his in game management was poor but we don't have a great squad of players.  To put it into context, let's look at the last two games we've played.  We don't have a player to touch Modric and Rakitic in my opinion.  We don't have a player to touch Hazard and De Bruyne.  Kane might be the only truly world class player we have and for some reason he really went off the boil - I don't think it helped playing in midfield half the time though.  

If we had Modric against Croatia I think we win that game easily as it goes.  In fact, if we'd simply taken our chances in the first half we'd have won the game and been in the World Cup final.  Just think about that.  Belgium are just a better side than us.  A number of their players would be first choice for us I'd say, that's just the way it is.

We weren't expected to do anything in the tournament so I don't think we flattered to deceive, but I didn't  realise that we only had 6 shots on target in the whole of the tournament (only Iran had less) that's woeful. 

The defence came out of the World cup with great credit, but I don't think our midfield did enough Kane was having to come deep a lot of the time, and I agree with the pundits who said Kane is usually a lot more mobile and normally looking to get behind the opposition defence, so he may have carried an injury.