oneBoro Forum

New Boro live streaming service

IIRC the iFollow service was pretty crap for the first few weeks of last season before it calmed down.

Cornerstone or the website maintenance agency has royaly screwed up on planning for the sever load during matches though. The club would have demanded it be fit for purpose, and made sure tests were conducted.

I expect somone high up making some angry calls and planning some urgent meeting in the morning

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Clearly Gordon Cox's mic is buggered (or he's not sat close enough to it). Bernie is coming through alright. Mark Page was coming through spot on there.

I think both the commentary mics are coming out at line level rather than mic level, hopefully they will sort it out for the next game. The coverage is good though, when it stays stable, far better than I follow

Clearly Gordon Cox's mic is buggered (or he's not sat close enough to it). Bernie is coming through alright. Mark Page was coming through spot on there.

can someone tweet them and the club to fix it, as both the mic and general level are too low. my TV is set to max on the volume and if i forget to lower before I switch over something will go boom! probably my ears

can someone tweet them and the club to fix it, as both the mic and general level are too low. my TV is set to max on the volume and if i forget to lower before I switch over something will go boom! probably my ears

I had my stereo speakers on 85 % to hear what Cox was saying ... 

Then the site crashed and I wanted to switch to the stream someone linked to ... 

When i hit that red play button, a pop up window with a really really loud beeeeeeep got my dog to jump ½ ameter up in the air from lying down, while farting and barking in terror ... Was really really loud and ***ed up! 

Hope they fix the sound volume and the random falling out... I had to refresh like 5 times during the 2nd half

The website issues were apparently caused by a 3rd party dealing with GDPR stuff (connected with login) so not directly the clubs fault (for the Sheff Utd game)

The issues for the Millwall game, were a perfect storm of a few things:

Demand on the website much higher than expected, increased by people trying to reload pages to get the stream to work

Issues with iFollow’s central location where all of the iFollow stuff is streamed through (the source provided to Boro), many teams were effected

Other expected teething issues that have now been identified and hopefully rectified now.

The club are hoping to build a service that the supporters enjoy and are the envy of other clubs.

Demand on the website much higher than expected, increased by people trying to reload pages to get the stream to work

As a dev, I can accept teething problems and pretty much everything else you mentioned but when you're talking about demand on the site:

1) Speak to other clubs. As others have said, iFollow had similar issues last season on other websites where websites were expecting less demand. I find it difficult to believe that other clubs would have had less demand on their servers than we had for the Millwall game.

2) Test for goodness sake. We had the pre-season games, particularly the one at home to Sunderland. Unless I'm hugely mistaken, it sounds like they've gone from developers testing to full-on every possible user. That was always going to be hell.

I wasnt making excuses.. just passing on info. The club realised there were errors and are/have been working to ensure it doesn't happen in the future.

I know there is plenty of effort and resource going into the service

As a dev, I can accept teething problems and pretty much everything else you mentioned but when you're talking about demand on the site:

1) Speak to other clubs. As others have said, iFollow had similar issues last season on other websites where websites were expecting less demand. I find it difficult to believe that other clubs would have had less demand on their servers than we had for the Millwall game.

2) Test for goodness sake. We had the pre-season games, particularly the one at home to Sunderland. Unless I'm hugely mistaken, it sounds like they've gone from developers testing to full-on every possible user. That was always going to be hell.

Testing on a friendly I don’t think would have given any answers. I don’t think there would have nearly as many trying to watch that as opposed to the first actual game if the season.

Testing on a friendly I don’t think would have given any answers. I don’t think there would have nearly as many trying to watch that as opposed to the first actual game if the season.

Make it free worldwide and you could have had plenty. Free user testing at that point. Even if it wasn't the same numbers, it would have had real users from all over putting at least some strain on it. It's still a big jump from relatively nobody to everyone after all.