oneBoro Forum
wilsoncgp

Boro v Sheffield United 3-0 (Braithwaite,Flint,Downing)

So I've heard this fella is coming to town...

350x350https://i.gifer.com/7QhC.gif[/img]

A man named Tony Pulis has been seen wandering the town hoping to leech onto a football club and suck the very life out of them.

350x350https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AnimatedRelievedAustraliancurlew-size_restricted.gif[/img]

We've had eyewitness accounts from the locals and even managed to grab one for a comment.

350x350https://i.pinimg.com/originals/88/fc/b1/88fcb1db72e857dd87d4db89ac84704c.gif[/img]

Half the town has been converted, the other half are getting behind our hunting hero in the hope this virus can be destroyed.

350x350https://media.giphy.com/media/l41m4ugiaOkiVRWyQ/giphy.gif[/img]

Pulis is ready for battle though, in fact he's already celebrating victory and preparing for retirement on the south coast.

350x350http://i.imgur.com/lRuoT4F.gif[/img]

The Middlesbrough Life-suckers:

Randolph

Shotton Flint Fry Friend

Howson Leadbitter Clayton

Downing Assombalonga Braithwaite

Managed by Tony 'Got No Players' Pulis

tenor.gif?itemid=9259793

Blade's Hunters:

Henderson

Basham Egan O'Connell

Baldock Lundstram Evans Fleck Stevens

Clarke McGoldrick

Managed by Chris 'Blade' Wilder

320x320https://media.giphy.com/media/QhruNctRrY5mE/giphy.gif[/img]

Questions:

Do you expect any new signings in the squad for the game?

What's your expected line-up and who would you pick?

What's the score going to be?

Do you like Chris Wilder?

Do you think Chris Wilder would make a better Blade than Wesley Snipes?

Should I make my next match thread about dinosaurs?

Great thread Wilson, that really gave me a laugh, very clever.

No new signings

Leadbitter, Downing, Shotton and eight others

0 - 0 if I keep saying that I reckon I will be right a lot of the time

Actually yes I do like Chris Wilder, I think I would have enjoyed playing for him

Definitely

Bring on the dinasaurs

Possibly Waghorn may start

My team at the moment would be

Randolph

Shotton

Flint

Fry

Friend

Wing

Howson

Tavernier

Fletcher

Assombalonga

Braithwaite

I reckon we will win 2-1.

Quite like Chris Wilder - seems an honest fella.

Don’t like dinosaurs so no thanks.

Great introduction BTW

Very good, wilson.

Leadbitter will surely not start this match. Wing in from the off, for me.

Nice thread mate but apparently we're doomed.

Hopefully Pulis saw enough yesterday to recognise that the team needs a bit more than that starting XI can give us.

Aye, hopefully. I think he might stick with mostly the same team for this game at least. But here's hoping that at the very least McNair is back from his knock so we have a bit more positivity in midfield. Him in for Leadbitter theoretically should make a big difference in the state of our midfield 3.

Great OP!

-No new signings

EXPEXTED:

Randolph

Shotton

Flint

Fry

Friend

Leadbitter

Clayton

Howson

Downing

Assombalonga

Braithwaite

---

WANTED:

Randolph

Shotton

Flint

Fry

Friend

Clayton

Howson

Fletcher

Braithwaite

Tavernier

Assombalonga

---

SCORE: 1-1 (Fletcher equaliser for Boro)

Chris Wilder - I like him. Open, honest guy with no pretense who's done a Sterling job at Bramall Lane. Not sure he'd be a better Blade than Wesley though...

Dinosaurs? Absaurlutely.

Good job Wilson. Had a few laughs with the gifs. I can't see any new signings for this one. Maybe someone in the stands though.

I think we will win this one, but it will be a tight workmanlike win. I really think that Pulis has seen the light regarding the youngsters, and I'd imagine that at least one of the senior players will be dropped. It also create some positive atmosphere in the stands which we definately need.

Randolph

Shotton-Fry-Flint-Friend

Clayton-Howson-Downing

Braithwaite-Tav

Britt

Sort of a mixture between what I want and expect. I don't think we will see McNair start after being injured on saturday. I'd like to see Downing and Leadbitter dropped for the kid, but I can't see Pulis dropping both of them.

What I'd really like to see is a positive front four of:

Chapman-Braithwaite-Tav

-----------------Britt--------------

Imagine seeing two academy players starting on either wing. That should certainly put some smiles on in the stands and it would be easier to forgive a poor or disjointed display.

Reckon it will be 2-0 win but SHeffield will make us work hard.

------------------ Randolph ------------------

-- Shotton ----- Fry --- Flint ----- Friend --

----------- Howson ----- Clayton -----------

-- Chapman -- Braithwaite  -- Tavernier --

---------------- Assombalonga ---------------

------------------ Randolph ------------------

-- Shotton ----- Fry --- Flint ----- Friend --

----------- Howson ----- Clayton -----------

-- Braithwaite --- Wing --- Tavernier --

---------------- Assombalonga ---------------

Enjoyed that Wilson, hopefully you're on the next Match Day Thread as well. Partly because Boro will have won and partly because I want to see a thread about Dinosaurs :)

2-1 win to the Boro!

Almost forgot about this game.. such a weird time to have it. Honestly haven’t got a clue how it’s going to play out either, but if I see a midfield including both Leadbitter, Downing and Clayton I’ll be miffed!

I’ve also changed my season ticket for the first time in years from the North stand and joined the posh ones in the West, so I’m quite excited to view the game from the opposite angle!

To me simply a must win game Pulis and the team need to put a smile on the Boro crowd

Anybody and idea why we are playing this fixture so close to Saturdays match, the rest aren't, or is it me just not in the swing of things yet.

Almost forgot about this game.. such a weird time to have it. Honestly haven’t got a clue how it’s going to play out either, but if I see a midfield including both Leadbitter, Downing and Clayton I’ll be miffed!

I’ve also changed my season ticket for the first time in years from the North stand and joined the posh ones in the West, so I’m quite excited to view the game from the opposite angle!

We have to play the young lads from the start.

• Latest Posts

• I don't think walking away from a mess you've helped to create is a decent thing to do, to be honest. I don't personally get that point of view, I know you're not the only one who has said it and I know it was said plenty last season under Pulis too but if he isn't doing his job properly, it's not on him to judge himself so badly to walk away in my opinion. It's on the club to remove him. I think it shows a lack of character to walk away and take yourself away from the responsibility of it.
    • Sounds like he really, genuinely is at a loss, rather than just being stubborn. Seems like he's saying what he'd like to do, versus what he's actually able to do with the squad he has, then getting confused between the two. He's having to play high stakes poker with a pretty average hand (while also being a novice player) and no matter what he tries, he keeps getting taken to the cleaners. Also, experienced isn't necessarily the same as good. Unless, as rumours suggest, he has lost the dressing room and they just aren't trying anymore. Feeling the tiniest twinge of sympathy for him, but really this is 90% on him (at this stage - 100% on Gibson for hiring him in the first place). If he had any decency he'd have handed in his resignation weeks ago and forced Gibson to find someone who actually knows how to manage.   Quite honestly, at this stage, I think its irrelevant what team he puts out. The youngsters will maybe lack the experience to deal with what Leeds throw at us and the senior players won't put in the effort. Either way, the end result will be the same. (Now I've said this, watch us scrape a flukey draw)  
    • These are just stats.  I don't claim the give they answers to everything or even anything.  It's just information that can be used to look at things.  It's entirely possible that Coulson and Spence both just happened to be in the side when it became better defensively and started gaining more points.  So it would be no more than a coincidence and over time the stats would revert to the teams average.  But it's also possible that them being in the side made us better and that this is reflected in the stats above.   In the past I've spoken about the mind playing tricks on people because of received/conventional wisdom.  So in this example, received wisdom would be that younger, inexperienced players make you weaker defensively because they make more mistakes.  I'm sure most would say that's fair enough, at least to some extent.  And because this thought is already in people's minds then that's what they 'see' or 'look' for in games and therefore it becomes true and reinforces the received wisdom.  I do wonder if that could be the case here?  Our worst defensive efforts this season came in games where neither of the youngsters played (Sheff Wed at home, Leeds away, that shambles of a game at Birmingham come to mind) and yet I read on here (and now from Woodgate) that they are to blame for us conceding goals with the reason that's often give that it's because teams are attacking those areas.  They've been attacking those areas all season long and every other area.  But that's not the problem anyway.  Because our defensive record this season is the 12th best in the league.  The issue is that our goal scoring record is the joint worst in the league and that's why we are in trouble.
    • You'd have to assume he's blaming Coulson and Spence, since those are the two he dropped after Luton.  Fry is injured rather than dropped and Tavernier hasn't started the last couple, although he started the two before that against Brentford and Blackburn.  As Spence didn't make his debut until the beginning of December, it would be harsh to blame him for our ills, unless Woodgate thinks we were doing ok beforehand! Here's a few stats to consider (league games only): Spence has started 11 games.  We've conceded 8 goals in those games at an average of 0.73 per game Spence hasn't started 23 games.  We've conceded 36 goals in those games at an average of 1.57 per game. Coulson has started 15 games.  We've conceded 18 goals in those games at an average of 1.2 per game. Coulson hasn't started 19 games.  We've conceded 26 goals in those games at an average of 1.37 per game. Spence and Coulson have started 8 games together.  We've conceded 6 goals in those games at an average of 0.75 per game. Spence and Coulson haven't started 26 games together.  We've conceded 38 goals in those games at an average of 1.46 per game.   In the games Spence has started we've gained 19 points at an average of 1.73 per game.  The games he hasn't started we've gained 18 points at an average of 0.78 per game.   In the games Coulson has started we've gained 20 points at an average of 1.33 per game.  The games he hasn't started we've gained 17 points at an average of 0.9 per game. The games they've started together we've gained 14 points at an average of 1.75 per game.  The games they haven't started together we've gained 23 points at an average of 0.89.  
    • I’ve got us surviving but that’s with a couple of wins that could most definitely be losses. Too hard To predict though - form for a lot of teams is crazy this season. The bottom 3 are having a mini revival but could easily return to pre Feb results.