oneBoro Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wilsoncgp

Boro vs Notts County (Carabao Cup) 3-3 (Fletcher (2) Mahmutovic) (4-3 Pens)

afaik there's no stream because league cup and fa cup games aren't covered by the riverside live service or the red button on sky.

If Wood plays any part he'll be Boro's youngest player ever

Yeah that's why I'm guessing even though I think he'll throw in 5-6 youngsters he'll avoid putting in Wood, we threw Fry in at the deep end a few years ago in these kind of cup games but we're talking about Fry being 17 at the time I think it'd be a hell of a statement and a lot of pressure on Wood to throw him in there.

I think an interesting question is if we assume we'll play 3 CBs whether we can throw in Djed Spence at RWB I mean he trained with the squad during pre season it's pretty low risk position to test a youngster out and it would let us rest Shotton but who knows. Pulis post match said because of the size of the squad he'd play quite a few youngsters here and that the fans would understand that I think we could easily see Tav/Chapman/Spence/Mahmutovic/Wood start here I doubt a cup run is high on anyone's priorities. Would love to see us shift to a 343 with Chap LW Tav RW Fletch ST that'd be an interesting watch with Spence/Johnson at wingback.

I'm hoping to see a few of the younglings in the squad tonight, but we do need to be wary of an upset. It will also be interesting to see if Marvin Johnson is in the squad today.

As much as the league is the focus, I do think decent cup runs help you out.

Wood has been doing pre-match training with the first team despite not being on the bench. And Pulis said in the manager meet-up at the Riverside something along the lines of "hopefully he'll get an appearance before he's 17 as that'd be fantastic". That means he'd have to pick him either today or in another cup game, surely. He's got all season to make that appearance for that to come true but tonight is as good a time as any.

Wood hasn't even been in the U23s, they played at Southampton on Friday and Wood seemingly wasn't in the squad. Mahmutovic and Spence both were. Obviously plenty of time for either of the latter to come in for tonight's game, Spence isn't a bad shout given that Shotton probably needs a rest but I reckon Mahmutovic is closer to our first team right now.

The last time I was there the beer had gone off

Kids definitely getting their chance - will be good to see who shines

Tonight’s line up

Lonergan

Mahmutovic

Fry

Ayala

McGinley

Leadbitter

McNair

Chapman

Tavernier

Johnson

Fletcher

Randolph

Spence

Wood

Reading

De Sart

O’Neil

Walker

That's a decent team I'm guessing 343 formation it should be good enough, Fletcher's big chance to shine here he should be well supplied from the wings let's see.

Wow, I hope they have their names on the backs of their shirts, otherwise somebody will have to introduce them to each other before the kickoff. There are wholesale changes and then there is this, best of luck to the lads making their debuts and season starts.

That screams 3 at the back again

----------------Lonergan----------------

-----Mahmutovic - Fry - Ayala-----

McGinley ---------------------Johnson

----------------Leadbitter-------------

---McNair-----------Chapman/Tavernier---

----------Tavernier/Chapman-----------------

-----------------Fletcher--------------

Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• I remember sitting in a pub in the Algarve that had a load of different games in TV for that 8-1 game. Was with my dad and brother, next to a bunch of united fans (were playing Wigan who were just above us going into that final weekend). Drunkenly said to one of them that I'll get a round of shots in for every goal they put past Wigan, and one of their group chimed in that he'd do the same every time we scored.   Safe to say I got the better deal
    • I think you may be right. I seem to remember moaning about the lack of goals we scored that season. 
    • That City game was a freak game rather than a brilliant performance.  It was common knowledge that Ericsson was going to be sacked after the game so I don't think their players were fully motivated, City went down to 10 men and a few of their players threw the towel in after that. We scored a few great goals in that game but it felt a bit like a friendly game towards the end of the match.  I think that result has become more famous over the years because of how big City have become, before they had the money they were no bigger than us as a club and it felt like we used to beat them every season. 
    • Funnily enough enough as far as I remember that 8-1 was the only game that entire season when we scored more than 2 goals. I may be wrong but it's what I remember, didn't bother checking haha. 
    • I went for Brentford.  I think the games I'd like to see are the last game at Ayresome Park, Boro 4-1 vs United and Man City 8-1. The last 2 would be a great reminder to the recent Boro teams you are allowed to win by more than a goal and score more than 3 on occasions.