oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Leeds United (A) 0-0

Leeds fans' snobbery over the style of football is incredible in so many ways. The fact of the matter is for all their supposedly beautiful football, they didn't create a single decent chance. And it was by no means as pretty as they make it out to be. Like Tony said a few times in the build-up, it's not strictly possession football, it's direct, get the ball up quickly, then have a lot of movement in and around the box to destabilise defences. But there's nothing there that a similarly well-drilled defence will struggle a great deal with because based on what I saw yesterday, they don't actually have the players to do it against the better defences. They've shown their hand and what they want to do, now they'll have to consistently break down defences just as stubborn as ours at Elland Road because we've shown everyone it can be done. And other teams will be much more concerned about getting anything out of a game there than we were.

Reminds me of the year we went up and the games we played at home sometimes. I remember quite vividly the MK Dons game listening on the radio and we seemed to dominate throughout but absolutely could not find any way through until Downing picked out the far corner from cutting inside on the right. After that, we went on to get the 2nd and sealed the game quite comfortably.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Leeds fans' snobbery over the style of football is incredible in so many ways. The fact of the matter is for all their supposedly beautiful football, they didn't create a single decent chance. And it was by no means as pretty as they make it out to be. Like Tony said a few times in the build-up, it's not strictly possession football, it's direct, get the ball up quickly, then have a lot of movement in and around the box to destabilise defences. But there's nothing there that a similarly well-drilled defence will struggle a great deal with because based on what I saw yesterday, they don't actually have the players to do it against the better defences. They've shown their hand and what they want to do, now they'll have to consistently break down defences just as stubborn as ours at Elland Road because we've shown everyone it can be done. And other teams will be much more concerned about getting anything out of a game there than we were.

Reminds me of the year we went up and the games we played at home sometimes. I remember quite vividly the MK Dons game listening on the radio and we seemed to dominate throughout but absolutely could not find any way through until Downing picked out the far corner from cutting inside on the right. After that, we went on to get the 2nd and sealed the game quite comfortably.

I didn’t see a Man City light when I watched them last night. They looked like us at home More possession some short passing and a fair few long passes

Decent result at Leeds, we got the point we set out to get.

Think we got the clean sheet we set out for, don't think we set out for a point

5 defenders, 2 DM's 1 striker and your most forward thinking midfielder Downing, and Leeds with 62% possession, we set for a point and got it IMO, like I said a decent result.

We set up not to concede, we put a great deal of emphasis on that but we still had opportunities to win it. I don't think that's by accident. Just because we looked to create close to nothing from open play doesn't mean we went to get a point. I don't think by any means it would have been a fluke to win that game in the end, I think better deliveries into the box consistently could have won it for us. That and a decent referee.

We can see it different ways of course, one thing we all seem to agree on is that it was a good result which I think is fair. I certainly would have taken a point before-hand, personally.

Neither side deserved to win it, a draw was a fair result. We relied on nicking something from set pieces, overall thought it wasn't an enjoyable game to watch, 2 sides just cancelling each other out and a poor ref to cap it all off.

I don't understand why people keep talking Leeds up, their squad is probably inferior to ours all things considered. Is it just because of Bielsa or is it something else? Maybe I'm doing them a disservice and their players are much better than I believe?

I don't understand why people keep talking Leeds up, their squad is probably inferior to ours all things considered.   Is it just because of Bielsa or is it something else?  Maybe I'm doing them a disservice and their players are much better than I believe?

It's because as of this far they've cruised through their games average 2.8 goals a game and tore apart Stoke and Derby.

All in all I can’t really believe Pulis is still getting pelters. After last years inconsistencies we finallly have a consistent, strong, dedicated team who are fighting for every minute to get a result, and we’re 4 points clear of 3rd and haven’t been beaten in the league yet. Waking up this morning and I genuinely think we can finish top 2 for the first time, it might not be the free flowing football that Wolves played last year, but who really gives a *** if we get promoted?

Me.  I've seen us promoted a few times, it's great but if that's all there is then what's the point?  We got promoted a couple of years ago and there followed one of the most miserable seasons I've seen as a Boro fan.

We had a squad that should have been challenging for top 2 last season, why wouldn't we this time around?  This division isn't full of quality sides or quality players when it comes down to it.  Think about our last three seasons at this level - 4th, 2nd, 5th - and yet it feels like some fans still view us as plucky underdogs trying to fight our way to the top?  I find that odd.  We had a better squad than Cardiff did last time around, we were just a mess at times unfortunately.  I look around the division and I don't see loads of amazing teams to be honest so I fully expect us to be there or thereabouts.

I don't understand why people keep talking Leeds up, their squad is probably inferior to ours all things considered.   Is it just because of Bielsa or is it something else?  Maybe I'm doing them a disservice and their players are much better than I believe?

It's because as of this far they've cruised through their games average 2.8 goals a game and tore apart Stoke and Derby.

So they've had a couple of good results then and that's it?  Not so much because of the ability of their squad, more the style of play being adopted?

So they've had a couple of good results then and that's it?  Not so much because of the ability of their squad, more the style of play being adopted?

There's a reason it's become known as Bielsa-ball and Bielsa's Revolution, yes it's the style of play.

If yesterday is the first time you've watched Leeds then you won't understand because Pulis game planned the *** out of Bielsa and nullified them completely.

Well yeah. On the evidence of this season so far, Leeds are the best team in the division. They've scored the most goals and have the most points. Not to mention comfortable wins against Stoke and Derby, who were fancied before the season started. It's a small sample size, admittedly, but it's the only one we have for the current season.

Personally, I didn't see anything from Leeds to suggest that they'll be the team to beat this season, but the stats at least suggest that they are the best team so far. so I can kind of see why people are talking them up.

I was happy with a point last night, but I generally think that about Elland Road. I think if we'd have had Braithwaite in the team we'd have won, but I also understand why he wasn't.

Well yeah. On the evidence of this season so far, Leeds are the best team in the division. They've scored the most goals and have the most points. Not to mention comfortable wins against Stoke and Derby, who were fancied before the season started. It's a small sample size, admittedly, but it's the only one we have for the current season.

Personally, I didn't see anything from Leeds to suggest that they'll be the team to beat this season, but the stats at least suggest that they are the best team so far. so I can kind of see why people are talking them up.

I was happy with a point last night, but I generally think that about Elland Road. I think if we'd have had Braithwaite in the team we'd have won, but I also understand why he wasn't.

CT - What Tom says above. Leeds are top and have seemingly torn a couple of decent sides apart. Bielsa definitely has something to do with it.

However, at the same time, I think (many) people seem to talk down our own squad too. Maybe that's also why Leeds got talked up?

Over on the transfer thread, there's been quite bit of negativity that we've had a terrible transfer window, but we've still got one of the best squads.

Coupled with that we have a really experienced manager.... I don't think it's all doom and gloom.

I actually think that Pulis has shown a bit of adaptability so far this season - although you might think that is bonkers!

Their squad has hardly even changed since last season. I seem to remember when they started really well last year, that was quite a bit down to Chris Wood before Burnley brought him in.

So since last year, they've lost Lasogga, Anita and Vieira of note. They've brought in 3 loanees who couldn't get into this team last season, another loanee the other day, Klich is back from Utrecht... and then essentially their two big signings are Bamford and Douglas. Two very good signings but only one of them can get in their team and right now, the same can be said of every loan signing they've made too.

The only real difference is Bielsa. And I think it is a noteworthy difference, he is clearly a talented coach who has achieved quite a lot in the game. But he's also a loose cannon and has been misfiring for a few years over daft little things. If the *** hits the fan at Leeds, I don't see him as the kind of leader to pick people up. He'll sooner walk away.

Defence and Keeper are suspect at best, they're going to try and outscore everybody all season but it just doesn't work IMO. Good luck to them should Chester be missing for any significant period of time. Sheff UTD looking good since we pasted them however.