oneBoro Forum

The Transfer Thread Is Closed Thread

This is the thread to discuss the transfer thread being closed and what you thought about it.  Did it get derailed often enough/not enough?  Was there enough arguing?  Did the ITK lot do enough for the thread when it really mattered?  Was it concise enough or do we need a separate more concise transfer thread in future?   What were your best and worst moments?  What are the things you will remember the most?  What did you make of how DS closed it?   Was there enough fanfare for such a monumental moment or was it a bit of a damp squib? 

Please remember that this isn't the transfer thread it's just the thread about the transfer thread.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

It wasn’t the strongest transfer thread in recent years, it was neither concise, or really rambling. I think the high point was when several people got a bit cross that transfers weren’t being discussed. Hopefully the next transfer thread will be up their with my favourite ever transfer thread, the Kei Kamara window of 2013, although I think I enjoyed that one because it was my first one.

In some ways I’d rather have had a thread for the cricket instead,

Sorry mate.

Back to the topic, I liked the part where everyone was trying to convince each other that Gibson would stay unless he got an offer from a big club.

The saddest bit is the part where people are debating who to sign if we you up through the playoffs.

I quite enjoyed the bits where people lost their bloody minds because the club had the SHEER AUDACITY to be linked with a player they didn't like.

Also when it descended into crackpot conspiracy theories. Alex Jones would be proud.

I quite enjoyed the bits where people lost their bloody minds because the club had the SHEER AUDACITY to be linked with a player they didn't like.

Also when it descended into crackpot conspiracy theories. Alex Jones would be proud.

I was disappointed with the lack of conspiracy theories this year. We didn't even see a return of the old favourite where we're signing an underwhelming player 'as a favour' to a club or agent in order to get a world beater from them down the line.

My favourite bit was when we had a rocky first week in August with the Millwall draw and the passing of the permanent deadline, and someone predicted relegation.

I was disappointed with the lack of conspiracy theories this year. We didn't even see a return of the old favourite where we're signing an underwhelming player 'as a favour' to a club or agent in order to get a world beater from them down the line.

My favourite bit was when we had a rocky first week in August with the Millwall draw and the passing of the permanent deadline, and someone predicted relegation.

I'm pretty sure that they said that they have placed a bet on us being relegated Tom IIRC

Didn't that happen right at the end with Batth (or whatever his name is). I'm sure someone mentioned Wolves 'looking after us' because we signed him?

Went off topic way too many times and when people gave information they were mostly from attention seekers who weren't prepared to put full information out there.

forum has gone down hill a lot in the last 12months and I don't think Admins control the constant people who misbehave, good off topic and are constantly abusive to other members.

This is the thread to discuss the transfer thread being closed and what you thought about it.  Did it get derailed often enough/not enough?  Was there enough arguing?  Did the ITK lot do enough for the thread when it really mattered?  Was it concise enough or do we need a separate more concise transfer thread in future?   What were your best and worst moments?  What are the things you will remember the most?  What did you make of how DS closed it?   Was there enough fanfare for such a monumental moment or was it a bit of a damp squib? 

Please remember that this isn't the transfer thread it's just the thread about the transfer thread.

In answer to your questions...

I think the transfer thread was derailed about the right amount of times. It's inevitable during the long summer months, with little transfer activity going on that there are going to be derailments. Always interesting when people get overly annoyed about it. When good rumours crop up, it's always quickly back on track.

Probably about the right amount of arguing, but maybe a BIT more could have spiced it up a bit.

I think the ITKers are a bit less ITK than they used to be. Not really anyone's fault, but I kind of get that impression.

The transfer thread wasn't all that concise, but without the thread police warning / banning people for going off topic, it's hard to control that. Then there would be issues about relevance. Is talking about the manager and style of play.... and then linking that to transfers... is that off topic?

Best moment was signing Flint.... closely followed by Villa stealing Bryan from us, only for Fulham to steal him from them. Worst moment.... probably selling Ben Gibson - not that he hadn't earned his move, it was inevitable.

I'll remember selling Ben Gibson, Bamford and Traore in the same window the most.

The way the transfer thread was closed down is an interesting one. Personally I never see the point of 'force closing' threads in a discussion forum. As long as people still want to discuss on a thread, why not let them? What's the upside to closing it down? Surely a thread will fizzle out when no one else is interested - rather like this one!!

Finally..... having followed the transfer thread through all those months.... through the World Cup (which now seems a distant memory), through the scorching summer weather (before schools broke up).... right up to the first day of Autumn? (September) - Yeah, I guess the final closing was more of a damp squib.

Went off topic way too many times and when people gave information they were mostly from attention seekers who weren't prepared to put full information out there.

forum has gone down hill a lot in the last 12months and I don't think Admins control the constant people who misbehave, good off topic and are constantly abusive to other members.

You mean last 5 years

I'll remember that it didn't rain for 40 days and 40 nights, England getting to the semi finals of a world cup. And I will remember Boro managed to get to the international break joint top, unbeaten in all competitions despite losing 3 of my favourite players! :cowboy: