oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bolton 2-0 ( Saville, Assombalonga)

Unfortunately this is what happens when you play boring football - I'm pleased with the results we are putting together and in general the overall performances - but its not good on the eye and very difficult to get excited about. I think he made the wrong selections - its like he accidentally stumbles on entertaining football and then goes into 'abort' mode. Did I think we would be sitting 2nd without conceding at home? nope - did I think this season could be one of the dullest from a fans point of view for years? YEP but did anyone really expect a full house, singing from the rafters for 90 mins on a Tuesday night against Bolton with Pulis at the helm?  I certainly didn't - its more or less what I expected.

As Duval pointed out, there were plenty of midweek nights like that under Karanka too (atmosphere/style) - which isn't all that long ago.

Here's a genuine question: (And this isn't an anti Karanka thing, so please can those who think I'm being 'against' the guy just take my word for that).

I think I'm missing something, so what I genuinely want to understand, is what is it about Pulis football that people hate, that those same people liked about Karanka's football?

People dident like Karankas football. They love Monks football though, and cried when he left because of the fun football that lead us to middle table, but that was ok as the football was fun....

Its a bit funny they seemed proud of England in WC as that was some real ***ty football.... :-P

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately this is what happens when you play boring football - I'm pleased with the results we are putting together and in general the overall performances - but its not good on the eye and very difficult to get excited about. I think he made the wrong selections - its like he accidentally stumbles on entertaining football and then goes into 'abort' mode. Did I think we would be sitting 2nd without conceding at home? nope - did I think this season could be one of the dullest from a fans point of view for years? YEP but did anyone really expect a full house, singing from the rafters for 90 mins on a Tuesday night against Bolton with Pulis at the helm?  I certainly didn't - its more or less what I expected.

As Duval pointed out, there were plenty of midweek nights like that under Karanka too (atmosphere/style) - which isn't all that long ago.

Here's a genuine question: (And this isn't an anti Karanka thing, so please can those who think I'm being 'against' the guy just take my word for that).

I think I'm missing something, so what I genuinely want to understand, is what is it about Pulis football that people hate, that those same people liked about Karanka's football?

I think Karanka played a different type of defensive football. Lots of possession and ball retention.

I think the difference is that all of our goals currently come from the same situations. It takes an element of excitement out of it.

You know corners are going to be dangerous and you know we are going for balls into the box and are waiting for one to go in directly from a header or from a scrappy second ball.

There is no one touch football on the edge of the box for example and i doubt we now have the ability to play good through balls to split defences.

Britt's goal last night was an anomaly to the goals we have scored this season in the league.

also I was looking at some stats yesterday and while I haven't been able to look into detail yet (in terms of "quality" of shots) we actually average 13 shots a game almost, which is around the same level as Leeds and the other teams around us.

where we differ is we only average 3.3 on target a game, where as all the other top teams are around 4-5 and Brentford all the way up on 7 sot per game.

Hear what you say but we are only behind Leeds in terms of goals scored and level with Brentford.

Last night's highlights show we should probably have won 3-0 now who can complain about that indeed who really can complain about any sort of win.

What I will say is that not scoring for a period of time is the concern though the goalless draw against Leeds was deemed to be a great result, the Norwich game hopefully was just a place never to be visited again in terms of performances.

All we need to do is to ensure is that we take opportunities as and when they come in more of a clinical way.

Also and in all honesty who does not feel a bit better about the game if we score first I know I do!

yeah man I agree with you, we COULD have scored more goals in basically every game. we're not clinical enough and that's our problem, despite what people wanna say we are creating enough chances to comfortably win games.

Absolutely sucking the life out of this football club as he did at the previous ones where he stayed for any length of time.  The atmosphere was as flat as a fart and really who can blame anyone when you know you're sitting through 90 mins of that.  Fair play to Bolton though, they did the honourable thing and gifted us a goal or we'd have gotten no more than a point tonight.

lol you're almost a parody of yourself at this point pal, lets reel it in a bit.

Here in a nutshell is why Oneboro activity is down.  Give your opinion and get crap.  

Try spending some time and money going to the games and then see how you feel about things.  You might find it's a bit different when you're stretching yourself a bit further than switching on a computer to watch a game.

This is why i no longer post. I occasionally read match threads as a guest.

I think Karanka played a different type of defensive football. Lots of possession and ball retention.

I think the difference is that all of our goals currently come from the same situations. It takes an element of excitement out of it.

You know corners are going to be dangerous and you know we are going for balls into the box and are waiting for one to go in directly from a header or from a scrappy second ball.

There is no one touch football on the edge of the box for example and i doubt we know have the ability to play good through balls to split defences.

Britt's goal last night was an anomaly to the goals we have scored this season in the league.

Persnaly I fall asleep with the lots of possession when you do nothing with the ball. I rather have 30% then and play direct football where you actually want something

But we are all different. Monk loved his possession too, to bad he forgot that you have to defend in football too to make it funny to watch..... But again we are all different.

I can compare it to sex if you want. I rather have quick and fast sex if I get there then some slow grinding that goes on for hours with nothing happening.... ;)

Karanka's football was more patient buildup play short passing but quite often sideways and backwards but committing Fullbacks forward.

Pulis' football is a lot more direct, get the ball up the pitch quickly, longer balls, Fullbacks are defenders first etc. It's quite often aimless and safety first defending, which isn't the most entertaining...

Last nights performance felt like a Karanka Championship performance, Fullbacks/Wingbacks pushed up providing the width lots of short passing, dominating possession. We had some decent passing combinations but not in positions where we could hurt Bolton. We're definitely more suited to playing teams that commit men forward.

Absolutely sucking the life out of this football club as he did at the previous ones where he stayed for any length of time.  The atmosphere was as flat as a fart and really who can blame anyone when you know you're sitting through 90 mins of that.  Fair play to Bolton though, they did the honourable thing and gifted us a goal or we'd have gotten no more than a point tonight.

lol you're almost a parody of yourself at this point pal, lets reel it in a bit.

Here in a nutshell is why Oneboro activity is down.  Give your opinion and get crap.  

Try spending some time and money going to the games and then see how you feel about things.  You might find it's a bit different when you're stretching yourself a bit further than switching on a computer to watch a game.

This is why I ignore 99% of your nonsensical posts. Because your opinion is “if you don’t go to games every week you don’t get an opinion”.

You’re really not missed

and surprise surprise you have the same issue as CT. your tone is insufferable, which negates any good points you might be making.

and surprise surprise you have the same issue as CT. your tone is insufferable, which negates any good points you might be making.

Just get off people's case mate.

i think the issue is in the way certain posters put thier points across . everybody should be allowed an opinion and respected for it ,with the exception of deliberate WUM,s ,which to be fair seem to be generally at large in other forums. 

CT as ive remarked previously , to me, comes across as a skilled vocabulurist and gives a honest assessment but also as Brunners has just commented ,does seem to like to have an edge in some remarks to get his point across . its almost journalistic.  personally im totally fine with it but basically people percieve it differently. 

i could easily pick faults with individual frailties  from last night ,especially distribution , general ball control and shooting . but in saying that we do look to work efficiently as a unit in the main. 

i totally agree its not fun to watch but while its ends up effective points and position wise it tempers the disillusion to a large degree.

He writes in a tone and a style that he 100% knows will and does rile people up. I don't know if it's so he can play victim when he gets called out for his ***ty tone or not or what but it's frustrating.

really I should just stop biting, but it just annoys me because he makes a lot of great points but his tone is often insufferable.

There it is. The truth from my perspective as well!

You cant write anything on here, without being run over by that CT train of sarcasm.

You either agree with him and his sometimes Good points, or get run over. He Never agrees with you.

I KNOW others than me and Brunners notice.

Yes everybody is entitled to their opinion, but cant you see , that he is Always sarcastic against other users opinions, then playing The victim, when people talk back.

Its Never his fault. Times Are a changing....

This is why I ignore 99% of your nonsensical posts. Because your opinion is “if you don’t go to games every week you don’t get an opinion”.

You’re really not missed

That's not what i said, but I can't say i'm fussed about what you ignore or don't ignore.

Humpty, you said you don't care what other people on here think a couple of months ago and thus devalued the forum as a place for discussion whilst constantly coming and placing your opinion over those who don't attend the game.

Don't come on here whinging about not being able to give your opinion without getting slated when you have confirmed you have no respect for others'.

There is no one touch football on the edge of the box for example and i doubt we know have the ability to play good through balls to split defences.

Persnaly I fall asleep with the lots of possession when you do nothing with the ball. I rather have 30% then and play direct football where you actually want something

But we are all different. Monk loved his possession too, to bad he forgot that you have to defend in football too to make it funny to watch..... But again we are all different.

I can compare it to sex if you want. I rather have quick and fast sex if I get there then some slow grinding that goes on for hours with nothing happening.... ;)

LS - I think this is exactly where I am coming from too. (No sex pun intended).

It was a genuine question about AK, and appreciate those responses. Thanks.

I think I found the possession defensive football (sideways/backwards/sideways/backwards) more frustrating or boring than what we're doing now - whereas some people found that approach better, which is why they like what we're doing now less??

I actually find it quite exciting that we can be more dangerous from corners and free kicks.... and I don't mind the punts forwards in to dangerous zones....(Kind of like "If you don't buy a lottery ticket, you can't win the lottery).

Obviously being more like Man City, and tearing teams apart at will would be more entertaining still.

We played some wonderful football under Karanka, don’t understand how people forget this and compare him to Pulis. Couldn’t be two different managers.

I completely get what other members are saying though, I’m happy that tvis team is winning but I haven’t been to a game this season yet (I have a season ticket...) just because I am genuinely bored watching this side, I never thought I’d feel like that about Boro but as someone else mentioned Pulis is sucking the life out of this club. Just like he has with every other club he has managed. I get we’re winning but with a squad this expensive fans deserve more especially when you pay 30 quid for a ticket