oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bolton 2-0 ( Saville, Assombalonga)

As I said to you yesterday Alan, were it not for the financial differences between watching at home (with a beer if I can!) and driving down from Sunderland, I'd be happy to meet up more with you lot, including those who sometimes drive me up the wall on here. :omg:

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Think we need to organise a big oneBoro scrap to thrash out all this anger and resentment :)

Prowler, Red Rocket, Trekkers, ETO, Curtis Fleming to name a few are all nice people to get to know face to face, we have had some great meet ups in the past yet sadly they are infrequent posters now.

I obviously wasn't nice to meet up with then  :crying: :crying:

Don't get the moaning. We've been good at home this season. We're not always going to blow teams away, the Champo is a grind.

First half was fine, second half was scrappy - midfield looked dead on their feet.

Spot on buddy and the beauty is that our own Manager states the same thing in his presser before we get to post our own thoughts and comments on what he saw himself.

This indicates to me that TP is more flexible than many think he is knows the issues and will encourage more from the team.

He will not suffer fools lightly.

From a personal view point I just feel we could be a little better option wise in attack with Lewis Wing being involved.

Also than you for the responses to my rant!

Think we need to organise a big oneBoro scrap to thrash out all this anger and resentment :)

Prowler, Red Rocket, Trekkers, ETO, Curtis Fleming to name a few are all nice people to get to know face to face, we have had some great meet ups in the past yet sadly they are infrequent posters now.

Will I class you now as a regular and fully expect you to get to the Six Medals on Saturday and as I said all I did was to name a few :)

Also I should include Boro Badger, Boksicdink, Boro in Bishop, Misterweed and loads of others, great guys and the most important aspect is that they support MFC

Unfortunately this is what happens when you play boring football - I'm pleased with the results we are putting together and in general the overall performances - but its not good on the eye and very difficult to get excited about. I think he made the wrong selections - its like he accidentally stumbles on entertaining football and then goes into 'abort' mode. Did I think we would be sitting 2nd without conceding at home? nope - did I think this season could be one of the dullest from a fans point of view for years? YEP but did anyone really expect a full house, singing from the rafters for 90 mins on a Tuesday night against Bolton with Pulis at the helm?  I certainly didn't - its more or less what I expected.

As Duval pointed out, there were plenty of midweek nights like that under Karanka too (atmosphere/style) - which isn't all that long ago.

Here's a genuine question: (And this isn't an anti Karanka thing, so please can those who think I'm being 'against' the guy just take my word for that).

I think I'm missing something, so what I genuinely want to understand, is what is it about Pulis football that people hate, that those same people liked about Karanka's football?

Weight of expectation. Before Karanka we had been crap for so long, just winning games and being near the top of the table was enough to get people back on board - I don't think many could care less what the football was like after finishing 13th and watching the likes of Miller and Killen upfront.

Since then we've been in two play-offs and being promoted to the Premier League, spent lots of money on players last Summer and made a ton of money off sales this Summer. People expect more, and perhaps fairly so when you look at how teams like Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, and Burnley have all kicked on after their promotions. Where are we? Back to square 1, playing pragmatic football to try and escape this league. Not as exciting second time round - that's my theory anyway!

OK. Thanks also..... that makes sense too.

One of my biggest concerns about this style of football, being AK or Pulis, is whether or not it's sustainable in the PL?

If you look at the teams that go up and succeed.... I'd say the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Wolves (at the moment), maybe Fulham - Personally I'd say they've all been much bigger attacking threats than us in the Championship.

If you look at the likes of Burnley**, Huddersfield, Cardiff - they are more of the defend first, score later mould.

I think that playing that way makes like in the PL very tough.

Does anyone agree with that??

Edit: **(I included Burnely, because although they did amazingly last season, they seem to be finding it tougher this year. They've never been prolific, and if their defence starts to falter, I reckon they could be in trouble).

I think it depends if you're in the 'Get promoted at any cost - 3 points is 3 points however we get them' camp and believe we can worry about how to approach the PL once we're there. Pretty much Cardiff. Sometimes work well.. Burnley. Sometimes not.. Boro

Alternative is whether you think there is no point going up unless we are going to be able to actually compete this time, and accept that it may take time in this league and trust in a progressive Jokanovic type manager to get it right like Fulham or Bournemouth. 

Unfortunately some Boro fans seem to want the instant results along with the great football. Wolves did it last year but everyone knows what an outlier that is.

In terms of if we go up, winning a league is all about keeping clean sheets, staying in a league is all about scoring goals.

If we do get to the PL, we'll need an effective way of scoring goals (set pieces?), because last time we were there we didn't have one... teams who have the worst defensive records in the league regularly stay up and finish mid table because they put them in the other end: Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford, Leicester etc.

In terms of if we go up, winning a league is all about keeping clean sheets, staying in a league is all about scoring goals.

If we do get to the PL, we'll need an effective way of scoring goals (set pieces?), because last time we were there we didn't have one... teams who have the worst defensive records in the league regularly stay up and finish mid table because they put them in the other end: Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford, Leicester etc.

So if we keep a lot of clean sheets, we'll win the Premier League too? Awesome. :D

Although tongue in cheek Jimmy you are not far off the point!! This has happened before during my time on the forum and that is why I have always encouraged pre match meet ups with forum members, though home games are more difficult.

It is often hard to judge people by comments and posts alone because often you have no idea as to the tone of the person posting.

BoroNut mentioned that Humpty was not missed but I for one certainly miss him along with many other infrequent posting members.

Matthew in the past has helped enormously the forum and having met him on a few occasions he really is a decent person and a valued member alongside many others.

Our members away from these shores do not post as regular as they used to, heck I miss Zhimai, Hands of Steel, Boro Abroad and the like and I know many will still be shown as simply "guest" when you look on line.

I too distance myself from the forum at times but this forum is still the best Boro related forum on offer.

Give others there opinions without being too judgemental and get yourself if you can to a meet up because you may find you might actually like the person for real.

Great chance on Saturday because who would not want to meet SmogDane and the enthusiasm he has shown all of us this week.

So very well written, Allan!

Really well written!

You have my utmost respect for being a friend and a diplomatic peacemaker without taking a side and with respect for everybody!

Thumbs up!

Saturday is going to be awesome! Looking forward to meeting a lot of This forum's members.

have fun on Saturday pal, I'm gutted I can't take DS up on his offer for travel, would have been nice to meet up with you and others!

Cheers mate. Hope to meet you at another meet up!

show me where I slated him for stating the atmosphere was flat.

I think he made multiple sensationalist comments in the post i replied to. I made no comment on whether I agreed with any of them, simply stating you can predict CT will come on and make some form of sarcastic comment regarding how terrible we are.

Is that right?  What were my sarcastic comments about how terrible we are after the Norwich game then if I'm so predictable?

No you didn't make a comment about whether you agreed with anything I said, you just had yet another pop at me.  It's funny, I get grief for disagreeing with things people say but some people think it's fine to have a pop at someone because of what they've said.  I know which I think is worse. It's pathetic.

Will I class you now as a regular and fully expect you to get to the Six Medals on Saturday and as I said all I did was to name a few :)

Also I should include Boro Badger, Boksicdink, Boro in Bishop, Misterweed and loads of others, great guys and the most important aspect is that they support MFC

Hope to see you all again soon

There it is. The truth from my perspective as well!

You cant write anything on here, without being run over by that CT train of sarcasm.

You either agree with him and his sometimes Good points, or get run over. He Never agrees with you.

I KNOW others than me and Brunners notice.

Yes everybody is entitled to their opinion, but cant you see , that he is Always sarcastic against other users opinions, then playing The victim, when people talk back.

Its Never his fault. Times Are a changing....

I didn't disagree with anything said last night.  I didn't comment on anything anyone else said.  I gave my opinion the same as everyone else does.  You and Brunners in particular seem to think you're entitled to do that but I'm not and I'd like to know why?

I agree with stuff all the time, people just don't notice as they are looking for stuff to have yet another dig at me about.

Feel free to keep it up but the end result is simply going to be me being less friendly towards the people who are unfriendly to me.

Re the Karanka Pulis chat. I didn't particularly like the way we played under Karanka and it's entirely possible that I'm less enamoured with the way we play now than others because of that. I think I said at the time we appointed Pulis that after three years of Karanka I would rather we didn't appoint someone like him. I think Pulis is a better manager than Karanka and actually is a good manager as I've said several both before and after we appointed him. But the football we play is garbage IN MY OPINION and I have zero enthusiasm for it. By the looks of it I'm not alone in that. Perhaps if we didn't have the needless caution of Karanka I'd be less bothered about it but we did and it does bother me.