oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bolton 2-0 ( Saville, Assombalonga)

well I suppose AKs football was ok in Championship, I actually liked how we played that seson we lost the play off final.

Personaly I am happy as long as my team is winning, I find no joy in wathcing us play great football if we lose.... I guess I am like Pulis in that way, for me its not about the journey its about the ending.

I sit on nails when Boro play, its absolutely no entertainment for me, I am happy when its over. Always been that way for me, its the same when Sweden plays.

Sports overall is never about entertainment for me, I find very little joy in watching sports if I dont have any emotions invested. Ofc I still very little joy during the matches when I have meotions invested, so then its more about being a masochist.....

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on your taste.

Id rather watch us effectively recycle possession than lump the ball up every time our defence receives it in the hope that our striker will hold it up effectively and bring others into play.

Neither style is particularly exciting, but I think we all need to accept that everyone will have their own preference and it seems to be 50/50 on here, nothing wrong with that!

I think for me, there is more skill in recycling the ball. An 8 year old can hoof the ball up front and therefore my appreciation for the AK type of defensive football is more tolerable.

I guess it depends on your taste.

Id rather watch us effectively recycle possession than lump the ball up every time our defence receives it in the hope that our striker will hold it up effectively and bring others into play.

Neither style is particularly exciting, but I think we all need to accept that everyone will have their own preference and it seems to be 50/50 on here, nothing wrong with that!

I think for me, there is more skill in recycling the ball. An 8 year old can hoof the ball up front and therefore my appreciation for the AK type of defensive football is more tolerable.

Yeah I specialy like how ONeil yesterday recykled the ball when we scored our first ;)

I bet any manager had been proud, it had been wiser to put it on raw z :)

I'm not doubting the atmosphere wasn't very good. I'm just saying it sounds like a bit of a stretch to say he's sucking the life out of us. Was the atmosphere just as bad in the other home games or was this substantially worse (i.e. because of the performance)? I can't say I recall anyone talking about how noticeably awful the atmosphere has been in our other home games where we've probably earned the points more than we did last night.

Those are fair points mate.  I suppose it's trying to get a feel for what's happening at games and even reading different peoples opinions on here.

The first two home games we scored early and obviously one of them was the first home game of the season so the atmosphere was decent enough anyway.  Last night was clearly worse than those and the West Brom game you're right in that respect. I guess it's the little things though like the groans and moans when we lump it forward again or when we have a chance to get it down and play and we don't.  It's entirely possible that this is unique to where I'm sat but I'd be surprised if it was.   You hear that all the time at games I know that but it feels different, it even did last season when we turned things around a bit.  Last season we had Traore giving some excitement, this season we have...?  There are times, as there were again yesterday, where people are laughing at some of the things we do, not because they think it's good but because it's so bloody predictable.  That's only something I've associated with some of the let's say less good times as a Boro fan and I find it odd that we have it now when results are actually good - I view that as a kind of warning sign I suppose.

I'm meandering a bit in an effort to explain myself I think but my perception is that people are putting up with what we're doing because we've been winning and while we're winning people will accept most things.  I'm not sure people are actually happy with what they're watching however, it's like they are almost apathetic about it in some ways - hence the sucking the life out of us comment.  I genuinely would be surprised if people enjoyed watching us play football, they obviously enjoy us winning but actually watching the games?   I'm not so sure really.

Find myself laughing at our play 3 or 4 times a games and have since Monk took over. For all the criticism of Karanka, and I think most was justified, you wouldn't see some of the things that I end up laughing at during games under him. 

I agree with a lot of your post. Like you I don't know if my dislike of this style of play is simply because, although I liked Karanka generally, I just wanted a change when he left and we've ended up somehow more negative with even less excitement.

I enjoy some of our football, I enjoy seeing a well drilled defense shutting teams out, I enjoyed (at the start of the season) seeing a few local lads in the team.

I said last night that I really miss Adama, last nights game really hammered that home to me. We may still be pretty effective at scoring and may look more balanced but there isn't one player in our entire squad who gets me off my seat. It's pretty depressing heading out to the match knowing you're not going to be excited.

There are some salient and very valid points being made here and I too have often commented about how predictable we are, but here's a thing apart from Leeds United (which surely must come) every other clubs fans forums I have read are saying the exact same thing about their own club!

So in the end irrespective of how any club is predictable to their own fans is what result is achieved between 2 predictable teams, not knowing how predictable other teams are of course

I hate all this hype about attractive football!

I go to matches to see Boro win and be successful! If that means playing 'boring football' then so be it.

However I feel we are playing some decent football and dominated most matches for the majority of games this season (baring Norwich and 1st 60mins against Millwall).

would people prefer to see attractive football for example under Mowbray and finish 17th every season?

Give your head a shake and realise we have a good manager under Pulis who is getting the best out of the players.

I personally know a few of the players and they have informed me that the guy is quality and breathe of fresh air

Just to try to take some of the flack, I don't attend games anymore. But I still have an opinion.

I own a season ticket and friends and family use it.

Most could guess why but to make if clear I am not a pulis fan. I did the same when strachan was in charge. I didn't like his philosophy and I don't like pulis', whether that brings good results or not. And I refuse to boo so I vote with my feet (daft I know as I have paid for the ticket!!). However, he has got us winning so I believe he deserves the support of those turning up.

As it happens I do prefer entertaining football to great results. Give me juninho Emerson and ravanelli in a season with less wins any day of the week.

But I understand people's opinions of win at any cost.

Just to try to take some of the flack, I don't attend games anymore. But I still have an opinion.

I own a season ticket and friends and family use it.

Most could guess why but to make if clear I am not a pulis fan. I did the same when strachan was in charge. I didn't like his philosophy and I don't like pulis', whether that brings good results or not. And I refuse to boo so I vote with my feet (daft I know as I have paid for the ticket!!). However, he has got us winning so I believe he deserves the support of those turning up.

As it happens I do prefer entertaining football to great results. Give me juninho Emerson and ravanelli in a season with less wins any day of the week.

But I understand people's opinions of win at any cost.

What were your views on Karanka's football? Curious.

I find it truely bizarre that people would want to watch us play entertainingly and lose than play functionally and win.

To be fair, nobody wants to see us play to lose. Some want to be entertained first and foremost. My feeling is that regardless of entertaining football, fans will always come out and get frustrated by ineffective football regardless of entertainment. It might not get people out of the seats often but so long as we're winning games, people can at least celebrate success. Celebrating/enjoying a free-flowing attacking move without putting it in the back of the net feels secondary to me.

Always grateful for the 3 points but it was bloody awful to watch, can't remember the Bolton keeper having a worthwhile shot to save. I find us very slow when we're in possession and we created very little last night.

If your happy with a season of that style of football fair enough, each to their own, personally its nice to win playing with a decent level of entertainment, unfortunately our entertainment level is bordering on zero.

Pulis has always played( what in my opinion, boring defensive football)l all his managerial carrier and last night and the way we set up against Norwich is exactly why I never wanted him here in the 1st place, footballing dinosaur is how I see him.

Always grateful for the 3 points but it was bloody awful to watch, can't remember the Bolton keeper having a worthwhile shot to save. I find us very slow when we're in possession and we created very little last night.

If your happy with a season of that style of football fair enough, each to their own, personally its nice to win playing with a decent level of entertainment, unfortunately our entertainment  level is bordering on zero.

Pulis has always played( what in my opinion, boring defensive football)l all his managerial carrier and last night and the way we set up against Norwich is exactly why I never wanted him here in the 1st place, footballing dinosaur is how I see him.

Yupp its boring winning, we get you

Bring Mowbray or Monk back to entertain the masses ;)

Re the Karanka Pulis chat. I didn't particularly like the way we played under Karanka and it's entirely possible that I'm less enamoured with the way we play now than others because of that. I think I said at the time we appointed Pulis that after three years of Karanka I would rather we didn't appoint someone like him. I think Pulis is a better manager than Karanka and actually is a good manager as I've said several both before and after we appointed him. But the football we play is garbage IN MY OPINION and I have zero enthusiasm for it. By the looks of it I'm not alone in that. Perhaps if we didn't have the needless caution of Karanka I'd be less bothered about it but we did and it does bother me.

I’m with you on this one, I’ve not even bothered to find or pay for a stream for the last few matches. I get text alerts telling me who’s in the side, then when we’ve kicked off. After that I get goal alerts, then when the final whistle goes, I know whether we’ve got three points or not and I look at the table.

Anything beyond that is a total waste of my time and money. It’s like playing football manager and putting it on fast forward, I just want the season to end so that we can see where we end up.

If anyone can convince me to take more of an interest in the team then go ahead, please do, but I’m bored of the players, bored of the manager and bored of the way we play.

Yeah I'll take that all day long Billy. I honestly don't care how we play, all about the results for me. That might stem from playing at a decent standard myself and always wanting the result first and foremost, if we played like last night and won another 23/24 games this season I'll be happy (I also don't think its as bad as some make out). Im a ST holder for what its worth too.

Yeah I'll take that all day long Billy. I honestly don't care how we play, all about the results for me. That might stem from playing at a decent standard myself and always wanting the result first and foremost, if we played like last night and won another 23/24 games this season I'll be happy (I also don't think its as bad as some make out). Im a ST holder for what its worth too.

Fully agree with that