oneBoro Forum

18/19 Promotion Snake

As the season is starting to take shape, I thought I'd revive a thread that someone had created last year. Plotting our promotion progress against last season's and against the magical 2 points per game automatic promotion marker (which all but guarantees top 2).

418x300https://i.imgur.com/XWXKrOJ.png[/img]

At this stage last season under Monk we would've needed to win our next two games to claw our way back to 2PPG. At the moment we've got a bit of leeway, being 1 point over the 2PPG average.

418x300https://i.imgur.com/u6ToyoL.png[/img]

At this point last season our form really dipped for the next 5 games and we lost a lot of ground, slipping to mid table, I can't remember whether we got back into the play offs whilst Monk was in charge?

418x300https://i.imgur.com/ycoe1W9.png[/img]

This is a graph comparing our points in the corresponding fixtures last year and this year, for example playing Bristol City (A) we got 0 points last season, but won 3 points this season. (I've excluded West Brom)

We've got 14 points this season vs the 9 points we accrued from the same set of fixtures last year. Which would suggest our start to the season has been tough, and we've done well to pick up points in difficult fixtures where we struggled last season.

Big fan of the thread Foogle good job.

I'd agree we have had a tough start in retrospect, but there is an argument that neither sheff utd or Bristol city were particularly good at the time we played them, but still they're both in/around top 6 so strong start non the less!

we couldn't beat good teams last year so if we can keep this up we're well in there.

Return of the snake! Excellent - I created this last year but it went so badly I scrapped it and was too nervous to recreate it so far this year!

Glad to see it back though - give me a shout if you want help keeping it going this year!

Millwall, Leeds and Bristol City away are already improvements on last year's equivalent games and i think apart from Derby they were our 3 worst performances under Monk.

I remember Leeds had hit a massive slump around the time we played them as well, where as this season they were on fire. I went into that Bristol City game last season thinking a loss was a certainty, just had no confidence in us against the better teams last year...

Can you add the snake from the promotion season?

419x300https://i.imgur.com/X8EFFGD.png[/img]

I've added the 15/16 season in purple. We started off slower in that season but at the 8th match we were on the same points that we are on now in the 18/19 season. 

419x300https://i.imgur.com/Oswosco.png[/img]

The next 5 matches in the 15/16 season saw us dip in form a little and were 2 wins a draw and 2 losses. Which saw us dip 2 points below the 2PPG target. Overall that season was characterised by patches of bad form followed by 4/5 wins on the bounce. We ended the season on 89 Points, 3 below the 2PPG marker and level on points with Brighton.

Is the current Boro squad better than that 15/16 season? I actually think we are: better keeper, better strike force, better midfield(?), deeper squad. But we are severely lacking in wide options, also would you prefer Ramirez for half a season or Braithwaite for a whole season?

Can you add the snake from the promotion season?

Is the current Boro squad better than that 15/16 season? I actually think we are: better keeper, better strike force, better midfield(?), deeper squad. But we are severely lacking in wide options, also would you prefer Ramirez for half a season or Braithwaite for a whole season?

In the championship and with his head screwed on properly as it was at the time, Gaston every time.

But is he TWICE as Good as Martin? Maybe I would rather have a full year of Martins contribution and goals, than Half a year of Gaston magic, topped with egoistic behavior in a childish way.

But its a Good question.

And Good post, Foogle!

• 2 weeks later...

Just another update.

419x300https://i.imgur.com/ZSh6StS.png[/img]

11 games in and we're back onto the 2 points per game target, and one point better than we were under Karanka where we were going through our own sticky patch without a win in 3 until game 13. Last year this is where the season started to slip for Garry Monk, we were slap bang in the middle of a 5 game winless slump.

Even though our goal scoring has slowed down after the international break, we're on 1.3 goals per game, which is the same as we managed in the 15/16 season. Although it still feels like we should be scoring more from set pieces and making our chances count from open play. 4 goals against and 8 clean sheets in 11 games speaks for itself.

In terms of fixtures played this season vs last season we've got 18 points in the games this season compared to the 13 we'd achieved from those same fixtures last season. Unbeaten against the top 6, 4 goals for and 0 against in those 4 games. (West Brom, Swansea, Leeds and Sheffield United) although the top 6 landscape could change after tonight's fixtures. I think this shows we've put to bed our inability to pick up results against the divisions other top teams.

Just another update.

419x300https://i.imgur.com/ZSh6StS.png[/img]

11 games in and we're back onto the 2 points per game target, and one point better than we were under Karanka where we were going through our own sticky patch without a win in 3 until game 13. Last year this is where the season started to slip for Garry Monk, we were slap bang in the middle of a 5 game winless slump.

Even though our goal scoring has slowed down after the international break, we're on 1.3 goals per game, which is the same as we managed in the 15/16 season. Although it still feels like we should be scoring more from set pieces and making our chances count from open play. 4 goals against and 8 clean sheets in 11 games speaks for itself.

In terms of fixtures played this season vs last season we've got 18 points in the games this season compared to the 13 we'd achieved from those same fixtures last season. Unbeaten against the top 6, 4 goals for and 0 against in those 4 games. (West Brom, Swansea, Leeds and Sheffield United) although the top 6 landscape could change after tonight's fixtures. I think this shows we've put to bed our inability to pick up results against the divisions other top teams.

Good stats Foogle!

"Unbeaten against the top 6" without conceding is mightily impressive, a world away from last season.

Hopefully the goals will come. It should be possible if Braithwaite/Howson/Saville/Downing/Besic are given license to get forward.