oneBoro Forum

Boro v Preston (a) (Carabao Cup ) 2-2 (Fletcher, Tavanier) 4-3 pens + 4th round draw

Yeah, keep the set pieces as a weapon, but spice up the formations.

Would really like to see some new-thinking in this area.

The heads of Flint, Ayala, Gestede, Fletcher and Hugill can cause havok, if delivered right.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just long throws though, is it? It's set-pieces in general. Should we stop using set-pieces because they aren't creating anything? Maybe a better idea will be to change things up a bit during set-pieces so teams don't suss us out so easily? The problem with the throw-ins is the same as our other set-pieces; the delivery isn't always the best and the execution and organisation isn't varied enough to trouble people consistently. So no, I don't think we should abandon the long throw just because they're not working.

Difference being that it is very obvious when shotton is winding up a big one. He needs a big run up, dries off the ball etc. Free kicks and corners can be mixed up in an instant but long throws always go to the same area and are easily telegraphed so they're next to useless.

It's the delivery of a ball into the area, just like most other set pieces. If you're bothered about lumping the ball into the box for the big lads to challenge, then why only against our long throws? Pretty much every corner we take is the same, we're just as likely to take a short throw as we are a short corner or free kick in this team which is why I think saying you're only sick of the long throws is a bit strange.

I'm sick of seeing wasted set pieces in general, we have players struggling to beat the first man from corners and players who've never been known to take a good set piece taking them, like Britt taking on a direct free kick which in no way suited a right footer with better options on from an indirect attack.

Maybe you don't like the long throws because you feel they're more ineffective than the other set pieces but at least Shotton can beat the first man. He's the only one really managing to do it right now.

Wing has been away a few weeks with a harsh flu, so MAYBE we will see him at least on the bench.

He can whip one in, from the corner... Wing.

Is that legit? If so it would answer the "how come he's not even making the u23s" question I had.

Wing has been away a few weeks with a harsh flu, so MAYBE we will see him at least on the bench.

He can whip one in, from the corner... Wing.

Is that legit? If so it would answer the "how come he's not even making the u23s" question I had.

That's what Pulis said yeah. It would make sense.