• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a far better performance. We actually looked to play passes along the ground most of the time.

4 at the back works much better for me as it strengthens our midfield and some of them actually get to play football.

Downing, Besic and Saville all looked good, sure we missed some chances, but if we bring. Britt back in at the weekend and play in a similar manner, we should score a few. Much better.

Agree with others that the chances were there last night and it wasn't down to not creating anything - better finishing/decision making from certain players or a few strokes of luck and at least two more go in. Reminds me of the Birmingham game where you come away wondering how it was only 1. Not the same as Hull or Norwich where we never looked like scoring for vast periods of the game.

Ipswich had a few half-chances and long shots but weren't creating as many threatening 'should of scored that' chances as we were - Boro will defend crosses all day and are really good at forcing teams to take their shots from areas they are unlikely to score from. There was more press and bite from the midfield last night which made a big difference. Eased off for periods, but you can't do it all game and to be honest the damage was done at 2.

It does seem to be the case that a 2-0 down recovery is a doable effort whereas a 3-0 advantage seems to be the killer in terms of come backs, I know it happens but not very often.

What is for certain and again shown on the stats on Sky just how important it is for us to score first especially with the defence everyone else seems to rave about and applaud.

Thought TP in his after match interview was great and he simply identified and made comments on what we were semi complaining about.

Day after I feel for Hugill as nothing went right for him, but he was in the right place to take those chances and on another day he will take what is on offer.

Being honest that cross from Stewy was so bloody good that it deserved a much better effort from Hugill, but we won and I really hope that Hugill will find his scoring touch

Apart from not getting one or two more goals ,especially in te first half when we were far superior and Ipswich were really poor with the crowd venting thier frustrations with them .and some slightly sloppy passes here and there , A great away performance and back on the winning trail.

very assured performance from Randolph with a wonderful late  save thrown in ,midfield all very good ,maybe Besic was tiring badly for the ten or so minutes before being substituted . defence did what it says on the can  .Main striker wise , its a pity we cant find a hybrid of Hugill and Britt , Hugill did great at holding the ball up  from the long punts and generally put himself about to good effect and worked tirelessly but lost marks on his performance due to his poor goal attempts. Britt  didnt have a good 15 /20 mins or so last night and seems to be the polar opposite of Hugill regarding good and negative attributes  .  Nice to catch up with a few old work colleagues from when  worked in Leiston  years ago  .

For what it’s worth

I thought we started ok absorbed the pressure you always get forst 10 away from home and made them pay for a couple of mistakes

We then went down a gear so our passing suffered and we had to defend a lot more

They came out a lot better second half and pressed us and got a few chances. But the other side to the coin was we also had quite a few chances.

Stewey was fantastic and I sometimes think people ignore the work he does off the ball

Saville covered every blade and probably has the best touch of any of our midfield

Not sure what people see in Britt that makes him better than Hugill.

Hugill holds the ball better brings people into the game more ,wins free kicks. And got himself into goal scoring positions .( yes he did miss them)

Britt ? His first touch is awfull. He doesn’t hold the ball he either loses it or turns into the defender which leaves him isolated. And the thing he is good at. Ie running forward with the ball. He got outpaced every time last night

One of our best chances in the 2nd half came from Britt's hold up play. I wouldn't say he was strongly challenged but it was him holding onto the ball that allowed Downing and McQueen to get up on the left and dragged defenders out of the picture for Howson to slide it through to them.

Hopefully the competition between Britt and Hugill can only improve their performances.

It's an energy sapping role, so can easily see them rotating after 65 minutes each match.

Will be interesting to see how Gestede fits in to the equation when he's match fit.

Don’t think that is true at all about Britt yesterday. There was a number of time where he held the ball up and brought teammates into play. The huge chance for Downing (that he should have let run to McQueen) was a result of his hold up play. Hugill on the other hand is just an awful striker. For a supposedly strong lad he spends and awful lot of time on the floor and seems much easier to deal with for defenders. I just don’t see what he brings. I’d genuinely rather have fletcher in the squad than him. To me Hugill is a waste of 2 million and Prem wages but I also appreciate that opinions vary. I’ll be very happy if he proves me wrong at the end of the season but so far I can’t see how he is in the squad.

Why oh why didnt we start like that against Norwich!! We have good players at this level , not world beaters I grant you but good players. If we go for teams we look so much better and as last night showed have the ability to win comfortably against most teams. Second half was dull but we never looked in any danger so no complaints.

Stand out performance was Stewey and I hope (but dont expect) the haters to give it a rest now as he is the only player we have capable of that cross for instance. At 34 he will have weaker days but as Pulis alluded to he is quality and if we can keep him fit he still has lots to offer.

Hugill if anything looks like he is trying too hard and I think he will come good. Shame he hasn't got Austria under his belt as I think he will be a yard sharper once he gets to full fitness. Also thought ref gave him nothing last night. Needs a goal though and soon

Also not impressed with Hugill's performances so far, most disappointed that he's had quite a few headed chances and barring his goal in the cup, he's not done a great job with either of them. He got a fair crack at it last night, too. Had a few chances, both in the air and on the ground. Ball didn't stick with him on a couple of occasions, was one or two moments where he received it and played it well though. Still think he's a better player than Gestede.

One of our best chances in the 2nd half came from Britt's hold up play. I wouldn't say he was strongly challenged but it was him holding onto the ball that allowed Downing and McQueen to get up on the left and dragged defenders out of the picture for Howson to slide it through to them.

No one is great or awfull all the time.