oneBoro Forum

Boro V Ipswich (A) 2-0 (Besic, Downing)

I think if you contrast this with Villa's night, they also went 2-0 up against the divisions basement dwellers, but a complete lack of game management and organisation sees them bottle their lead.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Ipswich's first home defeat emphasizes a superb away win.

they were absolutely woeful, we were far from superb we just took our chances they gifted to us. Play like that against better sides we will get nothing

Oh dear! you want icing on the cake too.

I think if you contrast this with Villa's night, they also went 2-0 up against the divisions basement dwellers, but a complete lack of game management and organisation sees them bottle their lead.

And a ridiculous red card decision tbf haha.

Ipswich's first home defeat emphasizes a superb away win.

they were absolutely woeful, we were far from superb we just took our chances they gifted to us. Play like that against better sides we will get nothing

We've played the other 3 teams in the current top 4 and have scored 4 and conceded 0. We've shown we can raise our game to better teams. Just enjoy the win :D

So to sum up, and to follow on from my earlier post in the thread before the game, we only won tonight because Ipswich were rubbish?

Don't mind that they haven't been beaten at home all season and we were the first team to beat them at their ground. Whatever you do, don't give any credit to Pulis and Boro for delivering a nice easy routine 3 points.

Ipswich were rubbish, let's not try and avoid that. We will play teams who provide a greater challenge than Ipswich who we should realistically look to beat home and away also.

But without getting out of first gear for 70 odd minutes, we won the game. For the first time since the break, I can say I think we earned the points we got tonight which is a definite step in the right direction, regardless of who we were playing. Compare that to the Bolton game which we also won 2-0 and I think tonight is a big difference.

Yes they are rubbish, but they had not lost at home before tonight so it was not just to go there and get the 3 points. Those games dont exists in this leauge

I'm just commenting on what I saw tonight and in the first half in particular, Ipswich did not play like a team that had not been beaten at home. Of course some of that was down to us. But if we'd drew this game tonight, would we be banging on about Ipswich's home record? Or about our failure to beat a team who were 3rd bottom before kick-off who hadn't won at home all season? How many would have been willing to put a positive spin on a bad result after watching the quality of the opposition? I'd be willing to bet it would be very, very few people.

And in spite of all that, I'm still saying we earned those 3 points tonight which I feel is a step forward from the last 4 games. I'm really happy with that progression. I'm just not going to get too far ahead of myself because there will be bigger tests. There might not be any easy games in the Championship but there are certainly games more difficult than that.

So to sum up, and to follow on from my earlier post in the thread before the game, we only won tonight because Ipswich were rubbish?

Don't mind that they haven't been beaten at home all season and we were the first team to beat them at their ground. Whatever you do, don't give any credit to Pulis and Boro for delivering a nice easy routine 3 points.

Ipswich were rubbish, let's not try and avoid that. We will play teams who provide a greater challenge than Ipswich who we should realistically look to beat home and away also.

But without getting out of first gear for 70 odd minutes, we won the game. For the first time since the break, I can say I think we earned the points we got tonight which is a definite step in the right direction, regardless of who we were playing. Compare that to the Bolton game which we also won 2-0 and I think tonight is a big difference.

Yes they are rubbish, but they had not lost at home before tonight so it was not just to go there and get the 3 points. Those games dont exists in this leauge

I'm just commenting on what I saw tonight and in the first half in particular, Ipswich did not play like a team that had not been beaten at home. Of course some of that was down to us. But if we'd drew this game tonight, would we be banging on about Ipswich's home record? Or about our failure to beat a team who were 3rd bottom before kick-off who hadn't won at home all season? How many would have been willing to put a positive spin on a bad result after watching the quality of the opposition? I'd be willing to bet it would be very, very few people.

And in spite of all that, I'm still saying we earned those 3 points tonight which I feel is a step forward from the last 4 games. I'm really happy with that progression. I'm just not going to get too far ahead of myself because there will be bigger tests. There might not be any easy games in the Championship but there are certainly games more difficult than that.

I absolutely respect your opinion Wilson and wasn't having a personal pop at anyone but it is very tiresome reading about us only ever winning in spite of Pulis or because every team we play against are crap. It's just not true. We are actually a bloody good team

easy win, we only won because we were better than them.

so it shouldnt count. we should be fuming pulis out boooo. morons

I'm pleased with the 3 points, but disappointed that we didn't do more to boost our GD while we had the opportunity.  That doesn't mean that I want Pulis out, or that I'm a moron.  

Promotion is the aim this season and we have a manager and players who are capable of achieving it (and I wasn't saying this last Autumn).  An improved goal difference would improve our chances of promotion.  I fully expect West Brom to win their game in hand tomorrow night.  That would put them top and Leeds second.  If the season finished tomorrow then we would miss out on promotion on goal difference, like Brighton did the year we went up.   I don't care how we score goals - they can come from set pieces with us playing hoofball the rest of the time if that's what gets us the wins and goals we need.  Unless we learn to be more ruthless, there is a strong chance of us missing out on either promotion or the playoffs due to other teams having a superior goal difference.

I'm pleased with the 3 points, but disappointed that we didn't do more to boost our GD while we had the opportunity.  That doesn't mean that I want Pulis out, or that I'm a moron.  

Promotion is the aim this season and we have a manager and players who are capable of achieving it (and I wasn't saying this last Autumn).  An improved goal difference would improve our chances of promotion.  I fully expect West Brom to win their game in hand tomorrow night.  That would put them top and Leeds second.  If the season finished tomorrow then we would miss out on promotion on goal difference, like Brighton did the year we went up.   I don't care how we score goals - they can come from set pieces with us playing hoofball the rest of the time if that's what gets us the wins and goals we need.  Unless we learn to be more ruthless, there is a strong chance of us missing out on either promotion or the playoffs due to other teams having a superior goal difference.

I'd argue again today we created enough chances to have scored 4 or 5. 

Friend had one saved brilliantly and fired one just wide. Howson fired just over. Ayala had one off the line, followed up by Hugill on the line too, then Hugill fired wide when he should have hit the target at the very least. 

Those are just the actual shots we had, there was also McNairs cross at the end that was perfect and we really should have attacked and finally there were about 5 or 6 opportunities IMO where if we play a better ball we're through and creating a golden opportunity. 

This is probably the thing that is most coach-able, but he can't MAKE the players make the right choice or play the right ball. 

I'm still not convinced it's Pulis' fault that we're not clinical enough.

Just watched the game recorded... Good 3 away points! That was the first of many to come! :D

Two good goals and Stewey might be MOM

Bring on Forrest and Kranky

I was thinking whether to reply tonight and in the end thought what the hell, I have a user account and we only play you twice a season..

Let's not mess about here, that was poor from us, game was lost by half-time. Yes there was some level of improvement in the second half but you wanted it more and not making excuses (but) we're a team that has lost it's way considerably in a specific period of time. Was Paul Hurst a good choice to take over from McCarthy ? No. Seems we possess one inept manager for another, playing inadequate starting XI's and emphasis on defending or keeping the opposition out. Am I allowed to swear on here ? Seriously, it's such a shame to see a once proud club being eroded by a succession of crap managers and an owner / chairman who doesn't seem bothered.

Profanities aren't the answer anyway. No amount of frustration will help the cause and already some six - eight weeks into a new season any promotion hope seems all but over. Probably not even a play off chance - at least not until someone with ambition can take hold of the club, get rid of the 'dead wood' and put us back on course to once again be competitive. Poor game from us, poor attendance, poor manager. That's it really, bid you good night. : - /

For future reference and to save me a bit of time could someone do me the favour and ‘Cut & Paste’ the following into any future matchday threads please

If we win:

‘They were rubbish tonight, we will not get away being that poor again and coming away with the points. Better teams will destroy us’

If we lose:

‘We were rubbish offered nothing forward, sat back to much invited the pressure as we set up not to lose but did anyway’

If we draw:

‘A game we could’ve won but clearly had orders not to press forward. Hope I never see Downing in a Boro shirt again’

Cheers :D

I'd argue again today we created enough chances to have scored 4 or 5. 

Friend had one saved brilliantly and fired one just wide. Howson fired just over. Ayala had one off the line, followed up by Hugill on the line too, then Hugill fired wide when he should have hit the target at the very least. 

Those are just the actual shots we had, there was also McNairs cross at the end that was perfect and we really should have attacked and finally there were about 5 or 6 opportunities IMO where if we play a better ball we're through and creating a golden opportunity. 

This is probably the thing that is most coach-able, but he can't MAKE the players make the right choice or play the right ball. 

I'm still not convinced it's Pulis' fault that we're not clinical enough.

100% agree with this - the clinical finishing thing is a mystery.

Maybe everyone thinks the same about their own team (I don't know... just wondering). However, we definitely created enough tonight to score 4 or 5.

Also I think you missed the Hugill header from your list too Brunners, where Stewy turned on his blind side, and hit a gorgeous cross on the volley without even needing to look up, because he'd already seen where Hugill was. That was total class. Either way, Hugill should probably have scored, but minimum has to hit the target.

I actually don't find us boring to watch either. There's some less good stuff in there at times, but there's some really decent stuff too

For future reference and to save me a bit of time could someone do me the favour and ‘Cut & Paste’ the following into any future matchday threads please

If we win:

‘They were rubbish tonight, we will not get away being that poor again and coming away with the points. Better teams will destroy us’

If we lose:

‘We were rubbish offered nothing forward, sat back to much invited the pressure as we set up not to lose but did anyway’

If we draw:

‘A game we could’ve won but clearly had orders not to press forward. Hope I never see Downing in a Boro shirt again’

Cheers :D

LOL - yep, that pretty much sums it up!

I was thinking whether to reply tonight and in the end thought what the hell, I have a user account and we only play you twice a season..

Let's not mess about here, that was poor from us, game was lost by half-time.  Yes there was some level of improvement in the second half but you wanted it more and not making excuses (but) we're a team that has lost it's way considerably in a specific period of time.    Was Paul Hurst a good choice to take over from McCarthy ?    No.     Seems we possess one inept manager for another, playing inadequate starting XI's and emphasis on defending or keeping the opposition out.    Am I allowed to swear on here ?   Seriously, it's such a shame to see a once proud club being eroded by a succession of crap managers and an owner / chairman who doesn't seem bothered.

Profanities aren't the answer anyway.   No amount of frustration will help the cause and already some six - eight weeks into a new season any promotion hope seems all but over.    Probably not even a play off chance - at least not until someone with ambition can take hold of the club, get rid of the 'dead wood' and put us back on course to once again be competitive.     Poor game from us, poor attendance, poor manager.   That's it really, bid you good night.  : - /

Always a decent and honest post from you TSB would appreciate you posting on other Boro games if you get the chance as I believe a neutral opinion of Boro would be very useful, as you can see there are times when we bemoan our team far too much.

We wish you all the best moving ahead save the trip to The Riverside